I need help, lost a fan controller

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my fan controllers started to smoke.... it still runs fans but the knobs get extremely hot compared to my other fan controllers. I have 3 total. So i unplugged it since i am paranoid that its going to catch on fire and burn my house down.

I have 12 fans that I am controlling and now I only have access to 8.

6 of them are 120mm fans on my radiator. The radiator is a thermochill 120.3

The radiator is sandwiched in between the fans and the fans are blowing into the case in the same direction.

I was thinking of only using 3 fans on the radiator since I only have 2 Prestonia Xeons @ 3 ghz on the loop.

Should I keep the fans on the inside of the case operating so it is pulling air thru the radiator or should i keep the 3 fans on that are on the outside that is blowing air thru the radiator?

I have to figure out how to shift around the fans to still provide adequate cooling.

I am to broke to buy another fan controller. I just bought a brand new PSU for this thing when it went up in smoke.

Fans pulling are more efficient... they don't have to fight air through the fins.

Generally, when electronic smoke, its not a good thing :D Get rid of that fan controller ASAP and either get an RMA or a replacement.

I think one fan per radiator is the best choice for now.

Hope you get everything up and running ASAP as it was ^.^

Well its a big radiator....I would totally try to RMA it but its 3 years old....

Thanks for the input.

If your any good with electronics or even a soldering iron, you can make a Variable voltage regulator to go from 5V to 12V?
My first test unit handles from 5.5V to 9.8V with 40Watts of fans running.

I used to be into doing all that stuff.... the modding and DIY yourself left me.... probably because i am broke.

I just need this computer to survive another year or two.

Check out a Lt1083 datasheet, or a Lm338k datasheet, both have diagrams for voltage regulators that are Easy to make, and can handle 5 Amps of fans

Back