• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need headphone help lol

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
Hey guys I'm looking to get a set of headphones so I can game at night and watch movies at night without waking the ole lady and my daughter up. My buddy has a set of turtlebeach px21 headphones that he let me try and they were nice, I just cannot afford $79 for headphones right now

I would like to stay at $50 or under, I am gonna game, music and movies with these so I need a decent set which should be feasible for $50 I hope. I need corded headphones not wireless. I can buy only locally, that's the kicker.

I have walmart, target, best buy gamestop to shop from, I really need some help picking out a set of headphones tho. My logitech z313 speakers are too loud and I woke the ole lady up tonight at 4am and she was pissed lol, so I can't use the speakers at night anymore or I'll be sleeping on the couch for good.

I need help and don't want to just waste money by getting a junk pair, that's why I'm asking here first... Thanks in advance guys i appreciate it alot
 
Hopefully someone chimes in I need to buy some headphones today, I have a microcenter local too but its like 40 miles each way from my house and would prefer to just buy some from BB unless microcenter has a killer deal on some good headphones in my price range
 
You're not going to find anything worth discussing at those stores. For $60 I got the Etymotic ER6i's (IEMs) from amazon.com and they sound stunning. Very good isolation, too. I would say they are an incredible value.
 
I don't know why you're restricted to local only, but give these threads a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...hones-compared-beyerdynamic-dt235-added-05-29

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...mpared-radius-ddm-and-jvc-ha-fx67-added-06-07

Any "IEMs" or "In Ear Monitors" will work great for you because they have fantastic noise isolation, both for sound leaking out around you and sound leaking in. Avoid headphones that advertise "Noise cancellation". You won't find anything decent in your price range.
IEMs are like earbuds, except they go into your ear canal instead of sitting on top of it.

And despite your offline-only stipulation, I am going to point these out:
http://sellout.woot.com/?ts=1276255879&sig=d92d1978c9e1c764
Which are a fantastic deal right now. Those are pretty amazing for what they're asking.
I believe there is a review of them in the IEM thread I posted above. Their normal price is much higher.

Other than that, for around-the-ear headphones (Big ones) it's probably going to be hard to find some in your price range.

Sennheiser HD-201s might do you okay. I have not heard them but they are supposed to be decent for their $20-35 price.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD201-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=pd_sim_e_5

JVC HA-RX700s have gotten some recommendations around here, though again I haven't heard them. They're also supposed to be available pretty cheap, but I don't know if any of your specified stores carry them.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPV4

If you encounter it, I would avoid the sennheiser EH-### series. Get the HDs instead.

I know Koss makes a few decent pairs of headphones on the low end. Maybe some decent circumaurals from them are available at places like you mention. One of them might do you okay, but tbh I haven't heard any of them.

Can't really think of much else. Don't buy Skullcandy headphones.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wanted to do local so I can get them today and not have to wait 3-5 days them to be shipped to me. I don't need any bad ass headphones I just need something that works and doesn't sound like straght shit.

I'm sure for $50 there has got to be a decent set of cans I can buy
 
sucks you can't wait a few days. you are going to WAY over pay for sub par hp's. i can't think of anything decent you can nab for that price at one of those locations.
 
I'm thinking about ordering the jvc ones off amazon, they are $34 shipped but it's gonna take 5-9 business days to get them...
 
don't know about the jvc's but for under fifty bucks the sennheiser hd201's are really nice.
 
the JVCs are decent. good highs and mids that are very clear. they lack on the low end.
they do get hot after a while cause closed but do not get uncomfortable
 
Well my logitechs took a dump so I returned them, I'm trying a 3.5mm to RCA to my tv and hope the audio works this way. If so I'll have $80 to spend on head phones. So with $80 what should I get???
 
what do you guys think of turtle beach px21 headphones?My neighbor has them and when I have them on I cant hear shit goin on around me as in outside noise, bass is very good, explosions sound great, can hear people running around very easily.

They are $79.99 at game stop, I havent looked anywhere else tho for them, Just wondering what you guys think about turtle beach headphones
 
80.00 should find you a pair of Audio Technica AD700's, maybe 85.00... either way, that close to your budget there is not another fair comparison.
 
Except the jvc harx 700 that are $35 shipped and are compareable to those ones your talking about for $80+ bucks
 
Except the jvc harx 700 that are $35 shipped and are compareable to those ones your talking about for $80+ bucks

Not really. "Comparable" in that they're the same general shape, I guess. The AD700 is going to sound better all around and have a better "soundstage". That open sound is going to help with directionality in games too. The AD is also more comfortable. The only place the RX is going to perhaps beat it in, is that it has a larger quantity of bass.

The RX is good for the money, but it's out of the AD700's league. (Which is also good for the money)

Also you don't really need to get snippy at the people you asked to help you.
 
I'm not getting snippy at all, I've said I don't need awesome headphones and that I have a budget but for some reason ppl don't understand that and keep suggesting stuff out of my price range.

I wouldn't call it help when I say I'm on a budget and I keep hearing about stuff that costs $35 more then I want to spend.

To those of you that did suggest stuff in my price range, thankyou alot I appreciate it!!
 
I do understand that audio snobs are some of the worst ppl to try to get help from, I'm not saying any names so take it how you want to. Not everyone has alot of money nor does everyone need awesome headphones.

There is a huge thread about the jvc headphones and tons of ppl like them, I think they get knocked due to the price being low but they do compare to the a700's and at more then half the price..
 
Well my logitechs took a dump so I returned them, I'm trying a 3.5mm to RCA to my tv and hope the audio works this way. If so I'll have $80 to spend on head phones. So with $80 what should I get???

I based my ad700 recommendation off the fact that you said you might have 80.00, how is that 50 out of your price range? Didn't mean to piss u off.
 
I do understand that audio snobs are some of the worst ppl to try to get help from, I'm not saying any names so take it how you want to.

Is this me? Before you said you might have 80.00, I suggested the Sennheiser HD201's, which are 30.00 and totally kick ass for the money.
 
So with $80 what should I get???

80.00 should find you a pair of Audio Technica AD700's, maybe 85.00...

I keep hearing about stuff that costs $35 more then I want to spend.

ppl don't understand that and keep suggesting stuff out of my price range.

Uh, What? If you don't want to spend $80, don't say you want to spend $80.

And no one said "The JVCs are bad."

Saying a thing is "Comparable" in performance to another thing usually to me means "nearly identical" or "very close". In the case of these two headphones I don't think that's true. Do I think they're both good buys for the money? Yes. Did I recommend the JVCs to you earlier in this very thread? Yes. Do I think the the JVCs are going to directly compete with the AD700's and be very close to their performance? No.
 
AD700's are great but bc of the open back they won't hide any sound. Games and movies should be fine, but you might want to look elsewhere if you need to keep the peace while listening to music. Bumping mine they can be heard over 50 feet away in the next room.
 
Back
Top