I need display advice.

Brent_Justice

Moderator
Joined
Apr 17, 2000
Messages
17,755
Yes, the video card gawd needs help figuring out his display setup :D

I know all about everything. What I'm really wanting is a triple monitor setup, have one display in front of me and two on the side so that way I can sit directly in front of a monitor and then to my left and right will be two more displays. LCDs all of them.

Right now I have two CRTs and I hate that if I sit directly in the middle there is that split, so that's why I want 3, i can sit directly in front of one and then two on the sides, it'll be perfect.

I'm trying to decide though if I want the middle screen to be 16:10 or 4:3. I'm thinking of either the Dell 2407 A02 of course ;) for the middle or a Dell 2007FP for the middle. I can't decide!

Then to the sides I'm thinking of 2 Dell 1907FP's, but they aren't the same height so they won't align perfectly with the 2407, ugh.

Or, maybe I just want 3 4:3 monitors like 3 Dell 2007FP's so they will all match up perfectly.

I will be using SLI so when I enable SLI it'll disable the other two displays while I'm playing games so only the middle will work, which pushes me to go for the 2407 since it is widescreen and has the better gaming experience. So I'm leaning toward 1 2407 in the middle and 2 1907's on the side.

I just can't decide !

Thoughts?
 
I don't think it matters all that much as long as the monitors are the same height and don't have thick, distracting bezels. Personally, I would go for a widescreen in the middle and 4:3 or 5:4 on the sides. As long as you can get the tops of the screens the same height, it won't look ghetto and shitty.
 
Does a 2005FPW when in portrait mode the same height as a 2405?

Why not get 2x Portrait 2005's and one 24 as your main screen. that woul be amazing.

I think I've seen it somewhere.

Thanks.
 
If you're trying to keep costs down, I'd recommend a trio of 2005FPW's. Widescreen all the way, no issues with matching sizes, decent performance (though you may have to deal with some backlight bleed), and the whole setup can probably had for under a grand if you score on Ebay, get refurbs from Dell, etc.
 
Hi Brent. Problem is if you go with 1X2407 and 2X2007fpw than the difference in picture quality will drive you crazy. I ran that setup and i hated it(but mine was with the older 2405 and two 2005fpw). The only way i was able to pair the quality was use an apple 23 inch or a Sony 23 incher with the dell 24. But your best bet is get two dell 24 inchers. Basically i would stay away from the 2007 unless you really have to use it. Mine are designated to the guest room.
 
Noni said:
Does a 2005FPW when in portrait mode the same height as a 2405?

Why not get 2x Portrait 2005's and one 24 as your main screen. that woul be amazing.

I think I've seen it somewhere.

Thanks.

Wouldn't it be better just to get the 2007FPW so its bezel matches the 2407 ?

The 2407 dimensions are this
Extended/Portrait: 22.04" x 7.68" x 23.02"
Compressed: 22.04" x 7.68" x 15.27"

Theh 2007WFP dimensions are this
With Stand: 18.6" x 7" x 13.1" to 20.2"

would that look good together?
 
noesis said:
Hi Brent. Problem is if you go with 1X2407 and 2X2007fpw than the difference in picture quality will drive you crazy. I ran that setup and i hated it(but mine was with the older 2405 and two 2005fpw). The only way i was able to pair the quality was use an apple 23 inch or a Sony 23 incher with the dell 24. But your best bet is get two dell 24 inchers. Basically i would stay away from the 2007 unless you really have to use it. Mine are designated to the guest room.

o rly? Can you elaborate on the picture quality differences?

are you saying the 2007's have worse image quality than the 2407 ?


I've pretty much determined I want a widescreen for my primary monitor directly in front of me. Now I just need to figure out is that a 2007 WFP or a 2407 FPW. Then I need to figure out the side displays, something that will match up.

So what side displays will match up with the 2007 wfp or 2507 fpw with the same bezel and height?

Or maybe 3 2007 WFP's? how are the 2007's ?
 
If you must have three than get the 2407 for the center and two 2007fpw for the sides. But if you can spare the change than get three 2407s. The 2407fpw has a screen that is superb. Very bright, nice contrast, and great for gaming. The problem ihave with the 2007(or in my case the 2005fpw) is that the picture looks grainy. The black is not very black and the brightness is nowhere near the brightness of the 2407. Plus the 2407 has more inputs making the display very versatile. I use mine to run my xbox360 on the component and its very clear and vivid. I think that that setup is probably the best. Either three 2407s or one 2407 and two 2007s, one on each side. Hehe i ran that and it looks pretty cool. I just odnt have the deskspace for it. Will i do but than the rest of the desk will be useless for doing all my other business writing on. Or if you have alot of money to blow go for the apple 30 inch in the center and the 23 incher on each side. I love my apple 23 incher. It truly has a superb screen but i wouldnt pay the money to buy another one.
 
I almost wish you could come over my house and see the picture difference between the dell 24 incher and the dell 20 incher. Now dont get me wrong the 20 incher is not bad (thats why i bought two). But there is just no comparison between them in quality of the pic. And since im in front of the computer for close to 10 hours a day (i run my own business) Lcd quality is something i dont mind spending boatloads of cash on.
 
noesis said:
If you must have three than get the 2407 for the center and two 2007fpw for the sides. But if you can spare the change than get three 2407s. The 2407fpw has a screen that is superb. Very bright, nice contrast, and great for gaming. The problem ihave with the 2007(or in my case the 2005fpw) is that the picture looks grainy. The black is not very black and the brightness is nowhere near the brightness of the 2407. Plus the 2407 has more inputs making the display very versatile. I use mine to run my xbox360 on the component and its very clear and vivid. I think that that setup is probably the best. Either three 2407s or one 2407 and two 2007s, one on each side. Hehe i ran that and it looks pretty cool. I just odnt have the deskspace for it. Will i do but than the rest of the desk will be useless for doing all my other business writing on. Or if you have alot of money to blow go for the apple 30 inch in the center and the 23 incher on each side. I love my apple 23 incher. It truly has a superb screen but i wouldnt pay the money to buy another one.

Yeah, I don't have an unlimited pocket so money is a concern.

Would a 2007 FP or FPW match the height of the 2407 if I put them on the sides?
 
Brent_Justice said:
Yeah, I don't have an unlimited pocket so money is a concern.

Would a 2007 FP or FPW match the height of the 2407 if I put them on the sides?

Yes and no. The base of the 2007 is like the base of the 2407 and can be moved up or down as you will. So you determine the hieght. But the problem is that the 20 incher is about in incher smaller verticle than the 24 incher. so if you want the bottom to be flush with the 24 incher that the top will be smaller on the 20 incher. So other than the smaller sized difference going from the 20 to the 24 incher,,you can control the hight to match all across. I did and the only hit i took was the top doing a step up going from the 20 inch to the 24 incher and steping back down going from the 24 to the 20 incher. Hope all this gooblygook made since. :D
 
Yes, thanks, that helps. I have some contemplating to do and more research before I make my decisions.
 
Just to make things more difficult:

lcdomg.jpg


(2001FP - 3007WFP - 2001FP)
 
Brent your welcome. And Kurruption. Thats just insane. seriously and awesomely insane.
 
If you want nearly perfect alignment, there's also the HP monitor setup. The two L2035 20" 4:3 1600x1200 on the sides and one L2335 23" 1920x1200 in the middle. The 23" has 310mm screen height and the 20" has 306mm.
 
larken said:
If you want nearly perfect alignment, there's also the HP monitor setup. The two L2035 20" 4:3 1600x1200 on the sides and one L2335 23" 1920x1200 in the middle. The 23" has 310mm screen height and the 20" has 306mm.

thanks, looks like the specs aren't as good though as the Dell 2407
 
cool thread, i want a 3 lcd setup too, have a 2405 but i wish i had the newer models to start from :/ Cause if i got a xx07 the bezel and stands wouldn't match
 
Back
Top