• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need clarification on IRST RAID.

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 12, 2015
Messages
3,447
I wanted to know if there is a difference between JBOD vs RAID 0 in terms of CPU use. In the review posted below they do not cover CPU usage in a RAID 0 but they cover that with JBOD. With 6 drives they were getting 70% usage on a CPU and I wanted to know if that would be the same with RAID 0 or if it would be entirely different? I assumed they would be the same but maybe they are not. Assumptions can be a bitch so I thought i would ask to see if anyone knew the answer.

Also are I/O more CPU intensive than sequential? I am asking because I want to put my 3TB drives to good use in a RAID 0 on my desktop. I just want to know the impact on the CPU. I don't want to bottleneck myself in other ways. I don't have a 6/8 core CPU so I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I know HDD set up won't have anyway near the performance of a SSD set up so the CPU usage will be much less. Fully understanding this will help me judge whats best in a couple other situations I am still pondering so please consider this an opened question and answer broadly. I would very much appreciate that. (I hope that makes sense)

ops here are the links

JBOD
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-dc-s3500-raid-performance,3613-4.html

RAID 0
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-dc-s3500-raid-performance,3613-5.html
 
My JBOD controller shows the drives as a single drive just like it does raid0, except raid0 is much faster and hence uses more cpu cycles. JBOD just writes to one drive at a time, although if you write multiple files it might write to other drives as well depending on where the data is. I prefer raid0 just for the speed. Even if it uses more CPU cycles, it reads the data in faster and then the cpu is free. And the only time the cpu is used is when the data is moved into the buffer after which the DMA takes over. But Raid0 does use more cpu cycles. Also JBOD has no error recovery like what they show in the article as with Raid10.. And I think youhave to read that article carefully.. They say they tested the drive by exposing them to the system as individual drives and that makes them JBOD.. Either this tester is way up there in knowledge or he is just arrogant enough to think he is.

Suspicious Activity Detected
 
Last edited:
the guy used 6 threads for the test so all 6 drives are active. If i understand you correctly you are saying that RAID 0 would have the same CPU usage?
 
Back
Top