I need an OK

badjoke

Gawd
i need an ok on the system i might get. I want best prices and better deals. Like "dont get that when you can get this for $20 more"

please help

<edit>

Asus SK8V (VIA K8T800)
Athlon FX-51 (2.2 GHz)
1GB (2x512MB) Geil PC3500 Golden Dragon
sapphire ATI 9800Pro-$212
80GB WD or Seagate ATA133 HDD.
Lianli PC65B- ~$120
420Watt Antec or 431W Enermax
DVD-ROM, CD-RW, and Floppy are accounted for. Ill also be gettin a red cathode

I plan to spend under $1000 if posible

Under $1000 and you're getting an Athlon FX-51? Why not go for an Athlon 64 3000+, or other Athlon 64 model besides the FX.

That's a big negative badjoke.

Big problem right there: an Athlon FX-51 with that RAM you chose. That RAM is not ECC Registered, and last I heard, the FX-51 still needs registered RAM.

You could save money getting a Sapphire Ati Radeon 9800Pro ($212 at newegg).

Get an Athlon 64 3200+ or 3000+.

One more question: if you plan on less than $1000, why on earth did you pick the FX chip? It's $750 last I checked.

Definitely save money by not getting the FX and go with the AMD64 3000 or 3200.

Ahem, if I may suggest a system:

Athlon64 3000+ - $224 (retail)
Western Digital WD800JB 80 Gig drive - $80
Sapphire Ati Radeon 9800 Pro - $212
Antec True Power 430: $67
Your mobo won't work: it's for Socket 940 FX chips
Here's one mobo suggestion: Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP - $175

That's $750 or so right there.

However, I haven't accounted for the case or the RAM. Do you like the case? It's a nice case, but you have to balance stuff if you're limited to $1000.

Also, are you OCing? That affects what kind of RAM I'd suggest. If you OC, Mushkin or Corsair or Twinmos (Mushkin being my preferred). If you won't OC and don't plan on it, Crucial.

BillLeeLee has the right idea...

Stay somewhere along those lines and you'll have a great computer!

you're wasting our time badjoke... ironically, you're a badjoke...
for 500 extra... you can do lots of things...

since the quote from billLeeLee was about 750, that means you got another 750 for you to spend...

you can get another system with it...

I think you still want FX... then by all means there's no need for us to give any recomendation

I suggest sticking with that Lian Li case. You won't be disappointed. For that added money, I would buy a DVD-RW and some more HD space.

Well here's a system for a tad over $1000 ($1013.99 to be exact), all priced at newegg:

Antec SLK3700-BQE $77
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ $224
GIGABYTE K8T800 Socket 754 $89.99
Corsair Value Select CL 2.5 1GB DDR-400 $170
Creative Labs Audigy $46 (you could always use onboard audio if you don't mind)
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro $212
WD800JB 80gb HDD $75
Plextor 52/32/52 CD-RW $89
Lite-On 16x/48x DVD-Rom $31

I like the Antec SLK3700-BQE case, it's mouse fart quiet, has fairly good cooling, a pretty good power supply, and sideways mounted HDD racks. You could also get the price of the whole system below $1000 if you go with an Nvidia 5900nu/xt/se. It might be possible to get more aggressive timings with the memory if you increase the voltage, that's what I did with mine. If you do plan to overclock, just know that no Athlon 64 motherboard has agp/pci locks, and be sure to get a better heatsink than the stock one. You could also get a nice P4 2.8C system for a similar price (possibly even less) if you want Intel.

You could've recommended a single combo Lite-ON burner/DVD drive. $50 from the Egg.

And the SLK3700, I'm looking at that case for my secondary comp build (looking at AthlonXPs, great price to performance).

So Badjoke, what's it gonna be with this comp?

If you up it over $1000, keep your Lian-Li, and get some Crucial PC-3200 for stability, Corsair XMS/Mushkin for OCing.

The price will probably ring up around $1200...

ok so now the question is, since i have the money for the original setup, should i get it? or should i get something better

Originally posted by badjoke
ok so now the question is, since i have the money for the original setup, should i get it? or should i get something better

badjoke, it already seems like you really want the FX-51, and anything else will not make you happy. Spend the $750 for the chip alone and be happy.

If you want an honest answer, the FX-51 is not the ultimate processor; there's no such thing. It costs ~$500 more than an Athlon64 3200+, and their performances are pretty even. The FX also requires more expensive ECC Registered RAM, and as I told you before, the Geil RAM you chose will not work. The $500 difference between the FX and the Athlon64 is unjustifiable (and I think many would agree).

For the last time, I'll recommend you a system that I feel that you'd be happy with (a lot of people here would probably be very happy with this system):

CPU - Athlon 64 3200+ - $282
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP (Athlon 64 Socket 754 version) - $175
RAM - 1 GB of Crucial PC3200 - $170 for 2 sticks of 512
Video Card - Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro - $212
Hard drive - WD800JB Western Digital Caviar SE 80 GB/8 MB cache - $70
Power Supply - Antec True430 - $70
Case - Lian-LI PC65B - $120

Additional if you want:
Sound Card - Creative Audigy 2 - $70
OR Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - $45

You say all other drives are accounted for, so I won't detail

Price without sound card (the mobo comes with Realtek onboard audio): $1099

Now, I suggested Crucial RAM because the Athlon64 boards are really iffy with RAM compatiblity.

Hopefully someone will suggest some lower rated memory (like 2-2-2 or 2-3-2) as that would help with performance, even if you weren't OCing.

Now badjoke, if you want the FX-51, tack on another $600 to the price tag and you'll have to select from ECC Registed RAM.

Case (hopefully) closed.

wow you helped me a lot BillLeeLee but one more thing:

So your unsure if the crucial PC3200 RAM will even work?

I really want everything to work as this will be the firstcomputer i build for myself. I mean, I have computer genius friends it's justI want the pride ofputting it together myself

So now I think im going to get:

CPU - Athlon FX-51 (2.2 GHz)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP (Athlon 64 Socket 754 version) - $175
RAM - 1GB (2x512MB) Geil PC3500 Golden Dragon
Video Card - Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro - $212

Dude, have you not been listening?

The FX-51 is not the best thing since sliced bread here...The Athlon64 3400+'s performance is basically equivalent to it in benchmarks I've seen, and it costs $450 less...Or are you equating price to performance? I have no idea why you're so hellbent on getting an FX-51.

Anyways, your motherboard and the RAM don't work the FX-51. It needs a socket 930 motherboard, and Registered RAM and as far as I know, that Geil RAM isn't registered DIMMS.

When will people listen...

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
Dude, have you not been listening?

The FX-51 is not the best thing since sliced bread here...The Athlon64 3400+'s performance is basically equivalent to it in benchmarks I've seen, and it costs $450 less...Or are you equating price to performance? I have no idea why you're so hellbent on getting an FX-51.

Anyways, your motherboard and the RAM don't work the FX-51. It needs a socket 930 motherboard, and Registered RAM and as far as I know, that Geil RAM isn't registered DIMMS.

When will people listen...

*socket 940.

And again, thread starter, that mobo and ram will NOT work with that CPU. Get a socket 754 CPU.

just leave that badjoke alone... i think he's just some rich fx fanboy that don't know one sh|t bout computer config...

the only difference his new setup from old is the mobo selection... and yet it's not compatible!

Badjoke> PLEASE READ THROUGH REVIEWS AND MAGS ON THE MOBO AND PROC YOU WANTED! BOTH DON'T EVEN USE THE SAME SOCKET!

fuh.. what a relieve:p

I am not an fx fanboy. I do know some things about computers but my friend put that roginal list together. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get:
Motherboard - Some asus one( I forget)
Video Card - Radeon 9800XT

Does all this sound good?
This will be my first built compy for me and i want it to work like a dream so....yeah.
I'm going to get some panaflos and i want a red 12" cathode and 2 6"cathodes for the front. Any suggestions would be nice. And also, I will research up on everything I buy. I will not go blind into this.

I know sockets are supposed to match.

Might be little brother using big brother's pc without permission.

PU - Athlon FX-51 (2.2 GHz) - $744.00
Motherboard - Some asus one( I forget) - $200
RAM - 1GB (2x512MB) Corsair- CMX512RE-3500LLPT PC3500 - $380
Video Card - Radeon 9800XT - $400

badjoke, I'm giving up.

I'm trying to save you money here, and trying to convince you the Athlon FX-51 is not worth it, but you don't seem to listen to what I or anyone else recommends.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc1LDM=

Check out those benchmarks from the [H] itself. The 3400+ goes neck and neck with the FX-51, and even beats it in some benchies.

But that's it; if you want to waste your money, go ahead.

And for the last time, get ECC Registered memory; that GEIL is NOT REGISTERED memory.

I'm not one to get frustrated easily, but it seems that every time, you keep hearing what you want but then you decide that you want to spend more money.

Trust me, the system I recommended before will be AWESOME.

That said, later.

I am not an fx fanboy. I do know some things about computers but my friend put that roginal list together. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get:
Motherboard - Some asus one( I forget)
Video Card - Radeon 9800XT

Does all this sound good?
This will be my first built compy for me and i want it to work like a dream so....yeah.
I'm going to get some panaflos and i want a red 12" cathode and 2 6"cathodes for the front. Any suggestions would be nice. And also, I will research up on everything I buy. I will not go blind into this.

I know sockets are supposed to match.

RAM still won't work. Needs registered ram.

i respect billleelee's info and patience. kudos to him

Badjoke, it's easy to throw a good computer together when you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, much harder when you've got an absolute budget to work with. If you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket, get an FX, it'll burn through that money pretty fast. If you're on a bonafide budget, get an Athlon64 3200+ or 3400+, and save a handful of dough.

It's your money. And like I always say, it's only money, might as well spend it.

According to the rules, calling him a "nub" can be considered wrong.

bigjoke: Let me help you configure a compatible system that will have the FX-51:

Price: $2052.49

That is the configuration you want, except for the changes made to accompany the processor. It's way over your budget, yes, but you can either save more money or do what BillLeeLee said and get the Athlon64 3200+ or 3400+ and get identical performance for MUCH less (after having to change the motherboard, processor, and RAM.

Just let him buy some shiznit expensive fx system, it's his money after all(or maybe daddies). If he wont listen to sound advice then let him screw himself over, lo.

First think you need to buy is some q-tips. Wow, I read through the posts, and it seems that BillyLeeLee is really trying to help, but alas I think its falling on deaf ears.

Bad joke. Please re-read the posts and you will see that your setup won't work. You will have a really hard time getting it to work, and you will be super frustrated. If you don't know what you are doing, and people are trying to help yet you still won't listen... I just don't understand your mentality.

Cheers,

Pfft, or you could Stick w/ 32 Bit for a while, and save Even MORE money.

M2500 - 90 bucks
DFI BOard (forget model ##) - 150
Corsair Value Ram 1GB PC400 (2x512 Dual Channel) ~180
Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro - 212
SB AUdigy 1 - 45 bucks
Lian Li Case - 125
Lite On 52x32x52x16 - 50 bucks
120Gig HD 7200/8mb - 90
This is $942 Right now

Also, MAJOR props to Bill, nice play, nice play.

Too bad we have a stubborn 12 y/o who's 1000 budget MAGICALLY jumps to 2013, for a compatible system w/ the FX-51.

Also, the FX-51 is getting retired, for the FX-53, which, tell me if im wrong, makes the FX-51 a dumb buy at this point. Get the Athlon64, if you want to stay under the 1000 budget.

I wish DADDY would fund MY computer.

oh shit i quoted the wrong one:

i want:

CPU - AMD 64 3200+ - $282
Motherboard - Asus K8vSE Delux-$140

sorry for the mistake

my budget is around $1700

I AM NOT AN FX FANBOY NEITHER AM I PUSHING FOR IT. IT WAS AN ORIGINAL COMMENT FROM MY FRIEND AND A CONTINUING TYPO. I DO NOT LIK ETO WASTE MONEY! argh

i want:

sorry for the mistake

First off get the 9800 pro for only ~$200 instead

and a bigger HD for $40 more

For $1700 I'd build it for you and ship it to you and still have enough for half of a second system.

~Adam

i want:

sorry for the mistake

This makes way more sense than your last quote. It now looks like you are paying attention to what people are telling you. Your last post made it look like you were a fanboy, and wern't paying any attention to forum members advice.

In my opinion toss the Creative, and get this.

http://us.hercules.com/products/showpage.php?p=56&b=0&f=1

there you go.

Cheers,

Back