I need an 8 port router

DKman08

n00b
Looking for a good 8 port router to replace my 8 year old outdated Netgear. Everything is hard wired. NO wireless needed. I may add a server at a later date and use the 1 gigabyte port. I see very mixed reviews with the new netgear stuff. Does anyone have a rec.?

You won't find many 8 port routers. What you really need is an 8 port (or more) switch. Get a gigabit switch if you are looking at that down the road. Then you can get whatever router you want.

You'll lose one port on each end in the router to switch connection, so account for that, but you can also use the ports on the router in addition to the ports on the (gigabit) switch. Of course, all transfers between the router and the switch would share the same link. This will typically be more than enough, but these are things to be aware of when you consider what to connect where and how big of a switch to get and whether or not to get a router with a gigabit switch as well.

There are a few out there...Linksys even makes a couple of models....
befsr81 (old model, outdated IMO)
and their business grade series...the RV0 series
RV082 (supports dual WAN also, VLANs, PPTP and IPSec VPN host)
RV016 (supports up to 5x WAN inputs, as well as above)

You won't find many 8 port routers. What you really need is an 8 port (or more) switch. Get a gigabit switch if you are looking at that down the road. Then you can get whatever router you want.

Another vote for a gigabit switch. I got a 5 port from Newegg for $36. I wish I had bought two of them, now.

Or three.

Back