• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need a Upgrade do it now or Wait?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
3,636
All im doing is Gaming and my Q6600 and 8800Gtxs in Sli are getting dated. I just ordered a 5870 cars and was thinking of just getting a i7 920, i have a mobo just need ram, Is it really worth it to wait a little longer? It doesnt seem that it would really benefit me to hold out for the next greatest offering, am i wrong? Eyefinity setup will be used in about 2 or 3 months down the road as well. Mostly playing Shooters and RPGs.
 
Wait a while to upgrade the CPU/Mobo/Ram

DDR3 prices should come down in the future, plus you may want to wait until 6core/8core cpus become more mainstream and less pricey.

A Q6600 is fine for now, especially since the cpu is not used much for games nowadays
 
I went from a q6600 at 3.84Ghz to an i7-920 setup at 3.8Ghz. Sooooo much quicker at stuff. The
Q6600 setup is now my wife's computer now and it just seems slow compared to my i7-920 setup.

Not sure how much of a difference it is going to make in RPGs, but the FPS games should seem smoother.
 
I have a q6600 right now and honestly I see no reason to upgrade. Sure it'll be faster, but unless you do video encoding and whatnot, I doubt you'll notice a different. I vote to wait for more core.
 
I'd wait for the 6 core's that are coming. Your q6600 will do just about everything at a reasonable speed as is.
 
6 core processors are going to be super, super expensive.

The only question you should be asking yourself is if you want to go 1366 or 1156.

You might as well go 1366 now, grab an i7 920, and the lowest latency ddr3 1600 you can afford.

If 6 core comes out and it's under $700, you can always resell the i7 920 for not much less than you paid for it.
 
Don't bother. GPU makes the difference these days, your CPU is quite adequate.

And I wouldn't call quad core with SLI 8800gtx's dated at all. I game fine at 1920x1080 with a single core a64 3000 and 3850
 
6 core processors are going to be super, super expensive.

The only question you should be asking yourself is if you want to go 1366 or 1156.

You might as well go 1366 now, grab an i7 920, and the lowest latency ddr3 1600 you can afford.

If 6 core comes out and it's under $700, you can always resell the i7 920 for not much less than you paid for it.

They will be at first, but just like everything else they will become affordable with a little time.
 
All im doing is Gaming and my Q6600 and 8800Gtxs in Sli are getting dated. I just ordered a 5870 cars and was thinking of just getting a i7 920, i have a mobo just need ram, Is it really worth it to wait a little longer? It doesnt seem that it would really benefit me to hold out for the next greatest offering, am i wrong? Eyefinity setup will be used in about 2 or 3 months down the road as well. Mostly playing Shooters and RPGs.

You just said in the topic that you *need* an upgrade. :p

Go for it; you have permission.
:D

i expect you will crossfire your 5870 and then you might be happy to have a i7 920; since you already have the motherboard, that is.
 
HEHE well i guess ill just stick with the video card upgrade route and see how iy shakes out, Just excited about running 3 24 inch moniters soon and i thought i might need some extra horsepower.
 
Back
Top