I need a turbo button for my programs.

Is there any program out there that will force a program to run faster than it normally does? like, you know, the "turbo" button does in emulators? i think there was one a long time ago that was called something like gear.exe but i can't remember much about it, other than you ran it, selected the process you wanted to turbo and it somehow made the program run faster, i want to test it on a game i have, to see if i can force it to run faster.

i know it sounds weird, but any help is appreciated.

In windows XP you can set any programs priority, and in turn pratically give it more/less processor. Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Processes. Right click on whichever one it is, and go to the "set priority" menu. Another thing if you have dual core/Hyper-Threading is set apps to run on only one or both cores (physical or otherwise). Hope this helps.

Wow. If you find this, then I know a few computer scientists who would really love to hear about it. Not to mention Intel and AMD. Unless the program is artificially slowed somehow(busy waits or whatnot), then the only way to speed it up is to make it more efficient(you'd need the source code and pretty intimate knowledge of how it worked) or run it on a faster computer. Like I said, though, if you find a program like this, I know some people who would really like to know. If you just want to speed up a game, then you'll either need access to the source code, or do some hex editting. With today's games, though, hex editting would be a total bitch.

InvisableMan said:
Is there any program out there that will force a program to run faster than it normally does? like, you know, the "turbo" button does in emulators? i think there was one a long time ago that was called something like gear.exe but i can't remember much about it, other than you ran it, selected the process you wanted to turbo and it somehow made the program run faster, i want to test it on a game i have, to see if i can force it to run faster.

i know it sounds weird, but any help is appreciated.

it likely suspended or killed other processes and or reset thier priority as Eulogy pointed out
may have shutdown other resources as well, just another automated tweak program

call up your process list in task manager and take a good look at what is consuming resources and if you really need them all the time

I think he is referring ot making the timing in the program run faster, not the speed.

Which there are programs that will emulate your computer's tick rate as going much faster than before, but they are referred to as speed hacks.

DermicSavage said:
I think he is referring ot making the timing in the program run faster, not the speed.

Which there are programs that will emulate your computer's tick rate as going much faster than before, but they are referred to as speed hacks.

yeah, that's what i meant. i'd like to find some program that can do that, but don't get me wrong, it's not like i'd use it in a exploitive way, i need it for running experiments with things i've been working on. could someone point me to some utility that can do this sort of thing?

I'm not a coder, so the only things i understand about that post is the concept of writing in assembler. (i don't know a lick of it though)

oh, and CPU speed, i understood that too. :p

Back