I need a Tool to Manage Workstations Remotely

2marshall8

Gawd
I have around 6 locations that I service and I'm wondering if there's a good tool I can use to manage the workstations from my main office. I have terminal services running on the windows 2k3 servers so I can login to that server, but I'd like to be able to access the desktop of any user on the domain. Does anyone know of a good tool(s) which would allow me to do this?

thanks
marshall

PCAnywhere should be able to help you out I believe.

If the users have windows XP, then you could use the remote desktop that comes with that.

Check out the VNC variants.

Some you can hide the VNC icon so users don't play.

Ya we use real VNC alot, its super basic,easy to configure and does exactly what you want. Plus its like 1.3 MB or something

I was using TightVNC and recently switched to UltraVNC since it seems faster and there are more features, like a file copy utility.
I use the program to control my fileserver/HTPC since there isn't enough desk space for another kb/mouse/monitor and I am too cheap to get a kvm switch.
My brother was the one who introduced me to the VNC programs since that is what they use to control the Commercial Insertion Machines at the remote cable head ends scattered around the boonies here.

Does anyone know how to hide the icon in the system tray for the VNC programs?

Check out Dameware.com Their Miniremote program works VERY well and can remotely install given the right credentials.

Now can I terminal services into a Windows 2003 server and vnc from their into one of the workstations? Otherwise I would be have to go through the firewall to access each workstation and that would mean forwarding a lot of ports, which is not feasible.

thanks
marshall

Originally posted by 2marshall8
Now can I terminal services into a Windows 2003 server and vnc from their into one of the workstations?
Yes, that works. It's a little slow but fine for administration. I do that with Terminal Services and DameWare.

Originally posted by 2marshall8
I have around 6 locations that I service and I'm wondering if there's a good tool I can use to manage the workstations from my main office. I have terminal services running on the windows 2k3 servers so I can login to that server, but I'd like to be able to access the desktop of any user on the domain. Does anyone know of a good tool(s) which would allow me to do this?

thanks
marshall

if the client machines are running WinXP Pro, then remote desktop works very well.

the other option is to VPN to each network and then you can connect to any PC on the internal network through the VPN connection.

Originally posted by deuce868
the other option is to VPN to each network and then you can connect to any PC on the internal network through the VPN connection.

Yeah, but this guy's looking for the tool that will allow him to remote control a PC. He's already got the network connection taken care of.

if you're going to pay, RADMIN is the bomb. I've used Dameware as well and it's very solid, but very pricey. We use RealVNC here at work and although it's choppy on our T1's, it serves it's purpose.

Free = VNC all the way.

Yeah, but this guy's looking for the tool that will allow him to remote control a PC. He's already got the network connection taken care of.

Yea, but I would rather VPN to the network and connect with VNC or whatever rather than remote to the 2k server and then VNC to the individual desktops. Myabe just me...

Back