I need a subwoofer!

DaCoOlNeSs

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
1,474
Hey all, I had made a thread recently about speaker recommendations, and i Had picked up some MS-40s. They sound amazing to say the least (for me anyway) however there is no bass. whatsoever. At least for me anyway.

So what I am wondering, is there a good sub that is relatively cheap (sub-200) that I can run alongside these things? I want more boom!

Requirements:
Ship to Canada
No wild crazy bass, tight and controlled is a large plus! I already owned Z-5500s...
 
Under $200? I wouldn't recommend anything for that price. $300, yes. Look around though, FS will price match with any online retailer in Canada.
 
So for a sub I am going to need more than the speakers themselves are worth? Thats a little ridiculous for me.
 
Save up some more $$. Go find a Totem dealer and ask to listen to their subs. There is a little bitty one called the Storm I think. It is tiny but crazy fast and tight sounding. Lovely little sub. Should be around $4-500 new? I dunno.
 
Parts Express ships to Canada, for about $150 you can get their Dayton 12" sub with a 150 watt amp. Probably the best bang for the buck you can get under $200.
 
Parts Express ships to Canada, for about $150 you can get their Dayton 12" sub with a 150 watt amp. Probably the best bang for the buck you can get under $200.

x2. Dayton is tough if not impossible to beat for the money. You may also find some BIC or Hsu, which are nice, for your price range. If you don't mind building it yourself, well, things just got a bit better.
 
I'm in the same boat as you bud. :p I bought the Polk PSW303 at Futureshop for $163 shipped (this was with 20% off).
Unfortunately, it's not on sale anymore, so it would be about $180*1.13 (taxes) plus around $20 for shipping.

I checked the price on the Dayton Sub-10, and to have it delivered to where I live (Toronto) the price is (in Canadian dollars):
$200 (taxes included) + $40 brokerage fees

So that's a total of $240. Kind of destroys the deal.. Free shipping and no brokerage fee in the US, then it's a good deal IMO. If I'm wrong, and it showed me the price in Canadian dollars on the page, then it's actually $160+40, still kinda sucky.
 
I recently got the TSC ASW-8 to go with my M-Audio AV 40's, and I've got to say that I'm thoroughly satisfied. It plays crisp and the response is tight. The 8-inch version suits my 10'x10' room fine, but if you're in need of more bass there's also a 10-inch version.

It's a downfiring subwoofer with a BASH amp (same as Klipsch), rubber surrounds (won't deteriorate), and a solid hardwood construction. For $80 or $100 shipped and a 30-day trial period in which you can return it free, you really can't go wrong. I got the ASW-8 after returning the Dayton SUB-100 and I'm not looking back. The TSC ASW-8 works great for music, and I was rocking my house to the new Rambo last night with a smile on my face.

This sub is definately worth some consideration.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I live in Canada and ordered the 10" Dayton. Brokerage fees ended up to be $50 and not the $40 like they claimed. If you can find something in Canada it's not the worst idea.
 
This sub is definately worth some consideration.

I agree. There's no way he'll find a better sub for that price. (at least with those specs and components.) Hell, he could get 2! :)

I live in Canada and ordered the 10" Dayton. Brokerage fees ended up to be $50 and not the $40 like they claimed. If you can find something in Canada it's not the worst idea.
Reply With Quote

If you ship through UPS or something you will pay a brokerage fee. If you have it shipped to Canada through the US Postal Service, then there is no brokerage fee.
 
I recently got the TSC ASW-8 to go with my M-Audio AV 40's, and I've got to say that I'm thoroughly satisfied. It plays crisp and the response is tight. The 8-inch version suits my 10'x10' room fine, but if you're in need of more bass there's also a 10-inch version.

That looks pretty nice. However, I tried to see how much shipping would cost, but they don't even ship to Canada since they use Amazon checkout.

If you ship through UPS or something you will pay a brokerage fee. If you have it shipped to Canada through the US Postal Service, then there is no brokerage fee.

I just checked, and I can't seem to find the option for USPS shipping on Parts Express. :\
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently got the TSC ASW-8 to go with my M-Audio AV 40's, and I've got to say that I'm thoroughly satisfied. It plays crisp and the response is tight. The 8-inch version suits my 10'x10' room fine, but if you're in need of more bass there's also a 10-inch version.

It's a downfiring subwoofer with a BASH amp (same as Klipsch), rubber surrounds (won't deteriorate), and a solid hardwood construction. For $80 or $100 shipped and a 30-day trial period in which you can return it free, you really can't go wrong. I got the ASW-8 after returning the Dayton SUB-100 and I'm not looking back. The TSC ASW-8 works great for music, and I was rocking my house to the new Rambo last night with a smile on my face.

This sub is definately worth some consideration.

I had not heard of TSC, but they're quite interesting. I think I'll snag a pair of the TST3's to try out. If they're even half-decent, the prices are killer.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top