I need a solution for booting up from various disk-images (Vista)

WaLieN

2[H]4U
As the title states, I need an EASY solution for booting to several images.

Basically, I am trying to build a quality assurance machine where we need to test software. I want the users (testers) to be able to be able to turn on the computer and then be prompted with a screen displaying a list several images which they can boot from.

I have the most recent version of Norton Ghost (14), but I simply can not find a similar function. I recall there being a similar function in a MUCH older version of ghost.

Anyways, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be highly appreciated!:D

You can't *boot* from images, they have to be applied to the hard drive individually. They're not used like CD or DVD ISOs and some virtual CD/DVD drive (DaemonTools, etc). You have to apply the image(s) back to the hard drive, meaning they'd have to be reinstalled each time as required. A lot of wear and tear for no good reason.

The better solution:

A kiosk mode computer workstation set up with virtual machine software like VirtualBox with as many VMs as you can shake a stick at, each one being whatever pre-installed and fully functional full blown OS ready to run without issues.

That's far more efficient, and you're only limited by disk space and RAM as to how many you wish to use. There is NO BETTER SOLUTION these days for testing software across multiple platforms than using VMs for those platforms (platforms defined as the operating systems).

I have to agree with Joe. Just use VMs. Its easy, free, and best part you can restore easily if a user messes anything up. Just build a computer that can handle the load and provides users with documentation for accessing the VM.

Ditto.

Make base virtual machines. Set them to read only for the users using them, and enable differencing. When one user is done testing, delete the differencing file and you are back at the original image.

I thought you could even create several VMs on a system, and then create a shortcut for each one on the desktop, labeled for the OS the contain.

Yep, you can, because the VM extensions (.vmx for VMWare, .vdi for VirtualBox, not sure what VirtualPC's extension is) are typically associated with the VM software itself, so... execute the shortcut and it fires up the VM directly, no issues.

Very cool stuff, perhaps the coolest application type for PCs in a long long time... I have a blast loading up XP in a window for someone that stops by and they freak out wondering "But, you're already running Windows..." so it's pretty cool when they start to "see" the possibilities for such virtual machines.

Back