I need a simple USB switch to use my KB (and printer) on 2 PCs

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
So I have this Kensington ShareCentral 5 USB switch that I really like - but it's over 10 years old and it seems like it's on the fritz.

I like it because it switches your KB from System A to System B when you double-tap the Scroll-Lock key.

Super handy to switch from work PC to home PC through the day.

I don't need the V or M of a KVM - my monitor handles dual inputs easily and I have two mice.

I've heard there are a few different kinds of KB switches - some of them make your PC think the KB is constantly connected where as on simpler switches, the KB disconnects when you switch (not ideal).

The ShareCentral is powered and never seemed to have an issue with LED Keyboards (currently using a Pok3r RGB LE)

Anyone have any advice? Something small and simple that switches on a hot key...

Thanks

If at least one of your computers supports Bluetooth, then you could use a multi-device keyboard like the Logitech K780. You would have to find another solution for the printer though.

If at least one of your computers supports Bluetooth, then you could use a multi-device keyboard like the Logitech K780. You would have to find another solution for the printer though.

A usb print server adapter could solve the printer issue if his printer doesnt already have wifi built in and with the printer being on wifi you can print from anything on the network (maybe even remotely) I love having wifi on my printer so I can print from my phone or tablet

I appreciate the idea, but I'm quite happy with my 60% mechanical. Logitech KBs are not in my future.

A usb print server adapter could solve the printer issue if his printer doesnt already have wifi built in and with the printer being on wifi you can print from anything on the network (maybe even remotely) I love having wifi on my printer so I can print from my phone or tablet

I only use this printer for business and personal business - it's a laser printer and wife and kids have no use or interest in it.

I find it strange that it's so hard to find a device with similar functionality to something 10+ years old...

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2269361/network-security/kensington-sharecentral-5.html

I ordered a stop gap basic switch, but might need to ebay a direct replacement.

I couldn't cancel the thing I ordered, but this actually looks close in functionality to the ShareCentral:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2TVHYM/

Only real issue is that their indicator lights are little blue dots next to each other.

The Kensington had orange lights on either side of the device so you could see - oh, left side is active or oh, right side, etc.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There exist also mechanical wireless/Bluetooth keyboards from Logitech (G613) and other vendors.

I don't have a keyboard problem. I have a system sharing problem and one of the solution constraints is that I retain my brand new, $177 keyboard.

What mouse do you use?

Recent Logitech's use FLOW, which allows you to use one mouse on multiple machines.

Same with later keyboards, I think...

As for the printer.... Printer sharing?

What mouse do you use?

Recent Logitech's use FLOW, which allows you to use one mouse on multiple machines.

Same with later keyboards, I think...

As for the printer.... Printer sharing?

Mouse is in flux. My Roccat Tyon has acceleration so it's going to be replaced with an accurate mouse TBD. Currently borrowing an ECA-2 from my son.

I got a new Vortex POK3R SE RGB with Cherry Red switches for Christmas. I have no plans to replace it.

Also, my 2nd machine is a corporate PC - it's locked down so there is no room for soft sharing - plus I wouldn't want to inadvertently type something into the work PC that I meant to type into my personal PC.

I'm a right wing gun nut and PC gamer - and I firewall that from my work life.

I just need a smart KVM USB switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2TVHYM/ - this is pretty close to what I need - I just don't like that the A/B indicators are so close together to be hard to determine at a glance....

The main issue with USB KVMs is that non-standard, or near standard peripherals abound. It's trivial to make a switch that just switches, but the delay makes them unbearable to use in real time. So most usable switches have some form of device emulation, which is pretty much never perfect.

That being said, last time I went switch hunting, I found the ConnectPRO kvm switches with "DDM", which supposedly was an emulation layer all encompassing enough to work with the vast majority of USB keyboards and mice. They weren't cheap enough to tempt me to buy one since I'd been burned by multiple switches in the past. I'm not even sure they're still manufactured. But of the products I'm currently aware of, they probably have the highest odds of working (near-)flawlessly.

If you decide to try one, let us know how it goes. For now, I continue to soldier on with an old PS/2 kvm for my keyboard, and 2 separate mice for my 2 main PCs.

Back