I need a silent PSU

unimatrixzer0

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
322
Well I purchased and installed this PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240V - Retail

Big mistake as it is loud.

Fan Rings

Pros: No problems handling 14 HHDs,4-120 fans, a MB with 5 cards and a couple of lights....


Cons: Loudest noise in otherwise quiet case. Not air noise, but that anoying high pitch ringing noise.... More »


Other Thoughts: I plan on using it for a while longer before changing the fan. That should make it a great PS without a warranty.

That review from newegg that I over looked basically sums up the noise.

Can anyone recommend any other PSU that only comes with one fan, is Silent and is around that 600-700W range?

Thanks.
 
That user's assessment of the product is probably incorrect.

No problem handling that load?

If it's a "ringing" noise and not fan noise, then it's probably overloaded and the transformer windings are vibrating at an audible frequency.

What's YOUR noise? Is it fan or air noise or are you hearing a "ringing" too?
 
the reviews on newegg are useless.

I have the same psu and it's dead quiet
 
Hmm, funny thing is this morning its as silent as my old 480W Antec PSU it replaced. Do PSUs need to be worked in or something? Strange. That high pitch noise that was there last night is gone today.
 
Yea.. I have the same OCZ 700w GameXtream, and I have to have my ear within 2 inches to be able to even hear the fan.. its dead silent from more than 1 foot away.
 
Back
Top