I need a server

Scootel2

Weaksauce
I need help deciding if I should just purchase a HP Proliant server or build my own. Here is what I need

Small form factor
Low power but fast
Be able to run 3-4 virtual machines
Quiet

All recommendations greatly appreciated.

An Intel NUC is about the smallest form factor, lowest power, quietest device option you can find but it is limited to 16GB of RAM and 1x 2.5" SSD and 1x mSATA for storage. Plus it's cheap(ish).

An Intel NUC is about the smallest form factor, lowest power, quietest device option you can find but it is limited to 16GB of RAM and 1x 2.5" SSD and 1x mSATA for storage. Plus it's cheap(ish).

This is something I've been investigating for portable demo purposes. Should easily be able to run several VMs. I believe I read somewhere that the Gigabyte Brix are also good options in the small form factor arena, and support ESXi out of the box.

I would also consider a Dell T20. They are inexpensive and quiet. They are not SFF, like a NUC, more like mini tower (ish). Small workstation tower. They are not as nice as their bigger brethren, but it seems like a good machine.

I need help deciding if I should just purchase a HP Proliant server or build my own. Here is what I need

Small form factor
Low power but fast
Be able to run 3-4 virtual machines
Quiet

All recommendations greatly appreciated.

What is it going to be used for?

My lab is 3 T20's and they so far have worked great. Also have room for a handful of drives if you want to play with vSAN.

Add ram if you need to, a SSD or two and run VMware workstation.

I agree, for just 2-3 VM's - workstation would work just fine.

If you're wanting to go the "hardware" route then an Intel NUC will certainly work. I use them in my home lab (http://miketabor.com/vmware-esxi-5-home-lab-upgrade/) and they perform beautifully for my needs.

Back