I Need a Recommendation on a Fan Controller

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
4,812
I have been looking for a fan controller to control 4 Vantec Tornados that should be coming to my house next week. The fans themselves pull about 10 watts each at full speed. So I'm looking for a controller that can handle that much. I would prefer a 6 fan controller since I have two other low speed fans, but a nice 4 speed would be just fine.

The only one I really came across that would handle it is this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/993/bus-36/FrozenCPU_Silver_PWM_6x_Fan_Controller_525_Bay.html. I just want to see if there is any other options before I go and order this one. I'm looking to spend 40 bucks at most.
 
Either of these would work just fine....

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1001/bus-54/Sunbeam_4_Channel_Rheobus_-_Black.html?tl=g36c17s286

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...ntroller_-_Black_RHK-EX-BK.html?tl=g36c17s286


I have the vanilla, non-Extreme version and it works great. Plus, it's rated high enough to support the Tornados...it has 4 channels where each can output 20W. The Extreme model has 6 channels and can output 30W on each channel. So, like I said, either one will work. The non-Extreme model can be found for about $15 at other sites beside FrozenCPU (take a look at Jab-Tech or Petra's....or even Newegg) but the Extreme model usually runs about $30 or so.
 
Well I bought a sunbeam one hooked it up, worked for 30 seconds then the two channels the fans where died. I tried the other two and they started dieing as well.

I don't know why these died due to that, but I'm looking to get a high quality one now seeing as how these just blew up. It smelled like the resistor went.
 
I have been looking for a fan controller to control 4 Vantec Tornados that should be coming to my house next week. The fans themselves pull about 10 watts each at full speed. So I'm looking for a controller that can handle that much. I would prefer a 6 fan controller since I have two other low speed fans, but a nice 4 speed would be just fine.

The only one I really came across that would handle it is this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/993/bus-36/FrozenCPU_Silver_PWM_6x_Fan_Controller_525_Bay.html. I just want to see if there is any other options before I go and order this one. I'm looking to spend 40 bucks at most.

I have this fan controller [http://www.frozencpu.com/products/993/bus-36/FrozenCPU_Silver_PWM_6x_Fan_Controller_525_Bay.html running 4 Yate 88cfm fans for a little over a month at 3/4 speed with no problems
 
I emailed them about that controller. The owner emailed me saying that he can't guarantee anything will work with these vans lol. I think I'm going to try the nexus, with me luck :/.
 
i dont see why they wont work. it might be because he simply doesn't want to be reliable on the small chance that they dont work
 
Use the Vantec Nexus if you can find it. It will pump 18 watts per channel. I slapped 2 88CFM Yate Loons each on 3 channels and it powered them like a champ. Just so you know, 18 watts @ 12V = 1.5A per channel. If you've got 80mm tornados, they use 0.76A or so and the 92mm ones use 1A. So those fans will work with the Nexus as long as you don't plug more than one into the same channel.
 
Back
Top