• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need a new PSU :)

Chomp

Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
547
I have a feeling that my PSU is either bad or doesn't have sufficient power. Even if that is not the case, I would like to upgrade. I'm just looking for recommendations (I read the sticky but it's like a year old).

It needs to be compatable with my current setup [see sig.]

It needs to be compatable with my future setup - AMDX2/Intel Dual Core

It needs to have enough power for SLI/Crossfire

It should be reasonably quiet

I plan on getting an Antec P180 case, which I am under the impression it works best with a PSU with longer cables.

Lastly, if it is pre-sleeved and has the quick connect cables (or whatever they're called), that is preferable.

I'd like to spend less than $150.
 
not modular, but damn quiet and powerful: SeaSonic S12 600w

or if you want more oophm then go for a Enermax liberty
 
What about these here]here?
The Antec Neo 500/550? Would the 500 be sufficient for my future setup?

Also, will it work with my current rig?
 
Chomp said:
What about these here]here?
The Antec Neo 500/550? Would the 500 be sufficient for my future setup?

Also, will it work with my current rig?

Antec is just ok, and I'm not to sure on that product line. The Seasonic mentioned above or a Enermax Liberty are your best options, although near your budget.
 
Anything else available? Do I really need 600-700W? I don't want to waste a lot of evergy.....

I'd like something modular too
 
I would look at the Enermax Liberty, or the Seasonic. Or if you can spend a bit more, go with PC P&C ;)
 
I think they make a 400W enermax liberty that should power your system well.
 
Chomp said:
Anything else available? Do I really need 600-700W? I don't want to waste a lot of evergy.....

I'd like something modular too
A 1000 watt psu won't draw anymore than a 400 watt one on the same rig. If anything the 400 watt one would draw more if it is being pushed to it's limits.
 
firebyyrd said:
coolermaster extremepower 600watt.

It runs fine on my setup... got mine fo 30 dollars.

It's not modular and I wouldn't use it for Crossfire/SLI.

You've got one video card.
 
firebyyrd said:
coolermaster extremepower 600watt.

It runs fine on my setup... got mine fo 30 dollars.

Come on, that system could run on a 350W PSU, and getting a very good 400W PSU for the price of a OK 600W one would be a more logical choice.
 
Why is it that every time I see "I need a new power supply" thread no one on this forum seems to recommend the FSP/Sparkle brands until the very end of the thread? Come on! Fortron should be the first thing you should recommend (PC P&C if the person can afford it).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104014

Actually, the buy.com deal is better than the newegg one. Same exact PSU for a much cheaper price.
 
cambrian said:
Why is it that every time I see "I need a new power supply" thread no one on this forum seems to recommend the FSP/Sparkle brands until the very end of the thread? Come on! Fortron should be the first thing you should recommend (PC P&C if the person can afford it).

Because there are better options in a lot of cases.
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
i would avoid Neohe if you are using ASUS board in the future, they are known to have problems
Those "problems" should be fixed by now. It's a very good PSU on paper at least.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Those "problems" should be fixed by now. It's a very good PSU on paper at least.

AFAIK, the egg is still shipping the *pun possibly intended* bad eggs of the bunch.

I have a NeoHE 500. It's sitting in a box right now. and by box i mean cardboard. without a computer. where it belongs. :rolleyes:
 
Least said:
AFAIK, the egg is still shipping the *pun possibly intended* bad eggs of the bunch.

I have a NeoHE 500. It's sitting in a box right now. and by box i mean cardboard. without a computer. where it belongs. :rolleyes:

I don't know why.

AFAIK: The problem was actually isolated to just the one make/model Asus board.
 
Back
Top