I need a new power supply

Peale

n00b
After several years, mine finally died last night.

I would have done a search for what people recommend, but, well...it's not working.

So what does everyone recommend?

Specs of system?

Wattage of the old one?

Without knowing, either an Antec TruePower 380 or True Power 430, or a Fortron PSU.

Something beefy that will last for a few upgrades.

I was using an Antec PP-403X. I upgraded to an Asus A7N8X and Athlon XP 2400+ system a few months back. I'm pretty sure that's actually what finally killed the old girl, because it's really not strong enough to handle the load. I 'got away' with it for a while, but the price was high.

Right now I'm using a 300 watt junker I pulled out of an old system, but need to replace it ASAP.

I assume you mean this one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-908&catalog=58&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

I stand by my recommendation: Antec True Power 430. It costs around $65 + shipping, so probably $70.

edit: Yep, that's the one. I use one in the system in my sig, no problems whatsoever.

Get an Antec True Power 430 or 480. I have the 430 and it's running great for 2 years now.

In order to leave you upgradeing room i would get an Antec True Power 430w. But an Antec 350w would run your system fine.

Concensus seems to be leaning towards Antec power supplies. What about other brands?

I'm looking for more wattage, so 430W is likely what I'm getting.

Antec, Fortron, Sparkle, Enermax, Thermaltake, PCP&C, Enlight, Vantec, and Zalman are all good power supply brands.

The majority of high end systems (4+ hard drives and the works) will never use over 350w. So the Antec 430w is a could purchase but i wouldn't buy any larger then that.

Efficiency rating is something you always want to look at. If its not at least 70% or damn near close to it then dont buy it.

Originally posted by burningrave101
The majority of high end systems (4+ hard drives and the works) will never use over 350w. So the Antec 430w is a could purchase but i wouldn't buy any larger then that.

Efficiency rating is something you always want to look at. If its not at least 70% or damn near close to it then dont buy it.

I've got quite a few hard drives in my system, but that number is about to be reduced by two. I'm finally retiring my ATA33 drives.

The PS I posted about above (the URL) has an efficiency rating of > 68%. What exactly does that mean, anyway?

It means that from the power it draws from the outlet, it'll convert at least 68% of it into usable power (the rest of it is wasted, most likely in the form of heat).

So say it produces 430 watts. If it's efficiency is 70%, it has to draw around 615 watts from the outlet to make 430 watts. If it's efficiency was 50% and it had to produce 430 watts, it'd have to draw 860 watts.

In a year or two you'll make up the cost of buying a more expensive PSU over that cheap Deer POS you could of got for $1.50 plus shipping.

Not to mention you wont have to worry about the PSU destroying your hardware.

I second burningrave's suggestion. Any of those PSU will do just fine. I myself am a strong supporter of the Vantec Steath line, that is if you need that much power (dualies or RAID). Otherwise, my trusty enermax chugs along great on whatever I throw at it.

....a lone vote for the Thermaltake supplies. You can get the one I'm using from the egg for $43.00 shipped. Rails are spot on when measured under load with my trusty Fluke DVM, and the dual thermo controlled fans are really nice and quiet.

FWIW - With my new Zalman HSF, the Tt's thermo controlled fans, and the Vantec "ThermoFlow" case fans, the main rig is nice and quiet.....

Party On - B.B.S.

Well you didn't mention anything about overclocking so I'll just recommend something basic, like the Smart Power 350 from Antec. Costs $59 at Fry's.

That's the PSU in my case and has been handling everything really well.

http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/PSU/2003/roundup2/index.php?ez=14

Something that i have been noticeing about Fortron PSU's in reviews lately. I just saw this again in this review when i was looking for something on Tagan PSU's for someone that asked here on Hard a minute ago. The Fortron 350w was causing some overvoltage especially on the 12v line in this review. The Antec True Power's were near perfect. It was all the way up to 12.52v on the highest load which is nearing the +/- 5% leeway.

I got a True 430 from newegg a few weeks ago and its been perfect for me. It has built in SATA connectors, an external power connector and also runs completely silent.

Originally posted by Bugalaman
I got a True 430 from newegg a few weeks ago and its been perfect for me. It has built in SATA connectors, an external power connector and also runs completely silent.

What the crap. Mine doesn't have all that. Are you sure it has SATA connectors? What do you mean external power connector? Is there a new Antec True Power 430w PSU now?

I am 100% certain it has 2 built in SATA connectors, and a external 12V connector

AFAIK the only antec's that had the external connector was the true 550, and none of them had SATAs. New model, eh... pics?

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
AFAIK the only antec's that had the external connector was the true 550, and none of them had SATAs. New model, eh... pics?

Yea im sitting here looking right at an Antec True Power 430w in this case and there are ZERO sata connectors and no external connections.

Its ither a new model or you have this confused with something else.

Cool beans, will have to note that in teh upcoming FAQ (heh, I keep promising this will happen soon, maybe it actually will! :D )

Well the new ones very well may have built in SATA connectors. I'm not saying they dont. But mine doesn't and the spec sheet from them on Antec's website doesn't say anything about them. And i figured out what you meant by the external connector lol. I just had never noticed it back there but mine has one.

In a year or two you'll make up the cost of buying a more expensive PSU over that cheap Deer POS you could of got for $1.50 plus shipping.

Not to mention you wont have to worry about the PSU destroying your hardware.

Actually I'm currently using a CompUSA power supply. Not by choice, you understand.

I finally went with the Antec True 430. ~$70 shipped @ NewEgg.

As a rule I don't go with cheap power supplies. They're always trouble.

Yes, I wouldn't see the rationality of using a CompUSA power supply by choice.

They were like $40 for a 550 watter, which was the same price as their Antec 300 non-Trues...

Originally posted by Bugalaman
I am 100% certain it has 2 built in SATA connectors, and a external 12V connector

I just got my from Newegg a few weeks ago too. It has the external connector but I dont see the SATA connectors, are you sure about those?

I have SATA connectors on my True430 (bought in mid-December). They're the flatter ones.

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
I have SATA connectors on my True430 (bought in mid-December). They're the flatter ones.

Seriously? Mine doesn't have anything that even resembles a SATA connector. It has an AUX connector though and i hope none of your are mistakeing that for a SATA connector lol :p .

here are pics of my PSU:
site1013.JPG

site1011.JPG

holy shit those pics are huge, sorry

Bah, i'm unimpressed. Those connectors are no better than the cheap adapters they give you with the drives, because they don't have the newly standardized 3.3v line.

Yea im sitting here looking right at an Antec True Power 430w in this case and there are ZERO sata connectors and no external connections.

Its ither a new model or you have this confused with something else.
It's a new model. Mine doesn't have these connectors either. External connections would be a yes though, on the back of the PSU, near the 80mm exhaust, there's a 4-pin molex connector there covered up by a black plastic piece. Just look for something the size of your normal molex connector, you can't miss it.

Antec PSU are nice, I use one in my server. But for a computer i use all the time I would feel much safer with an Enermax 460. The rails on that thing are dead on, even /w 4 hdds and everything else hooked to it. Also the 3.3 and 5 on those thing are both 35amps - Crazy Power.

Combined with a Power Filter, Like a Tripp-Lite Office UPS /w Battery/Noise Filter/Surge, and you got a pretty reliable power source.

Back