I need a new heatsink/fan

imgneevrythng

Weaksauce
I have an AMD Phenom 9850 BE and a Biostar TForce TA790GX.

Lately, the temperature readings on my comp have been going through the roof. I do 3d modeling and rendering, and some gaming, and the temperatures are hitting 90-115c easy. so far my computer has shut down 3 times on me.

i think its safe to say i need a new form of cooling. everything is stock. what do you guys recommend? i dont want to spend more then $40-$50

Last edited:
i use sunbeam core contact freezers or achillies anythign with HEATPIPE DIRECT TOUCH! they are what its all about now days,

Pretty much, any tower style cooler with a 120mm fan will fit your needs. There are so many these days, it's easy to find one in your budget. The core Contact mentioned above seems to be a very nice deal.

That is wayyy to high, Sounds like you might need to dust out your computer and make sure the fans are running. Even with stock you should still be under 70c

If you are really after something new. I'd put in a recommendation for a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ if you on a budget.

the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is on sale for $24 and the Arctic Cooling rev 2 is on sale for $20. Check SD.

i wouldnt use Arctic Cooling rev 2 if someone paid me =P, if you have tiny case and got it for free maybe but other wise use a core contact cooler, the hyper 212 is also a core contact little less performance but really doesnt matter if your used to using stock heatsinks.

thanks guys. i actually ended up going with this Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler. it was only $28 on newegg. i threw in some artic silver 5 for good measure. figured i might as well buy it anyway, even if i didnt need it now.

my case is pretty dusty, but even after cleaning it out, i still run pretty hot temperatures. im sure the new cooling/thermal paste will combat that a bit. and maybe even give me some room to OC.

Back