I need a new HD

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
I am running windows 2000, I lost my job so I do not have the money to build a new computer right now. One of my HD is clicking and I need a replacement. I want to get a minimum of 1tb (1.5tb would be better) and spend less then $80 for it. It will be a backup drive. But I would prefer a 7200rpm since it might become a primary drive in a new system in the near future. The last hd I bought was a 250gb sata and that cost me over $100.

Does Windows 2000 even support a drive that big? I don't remember anymore.

Since SP3, Windows 2000 supported hard drives larger than 137GB. However, any drive larger than 137GB must be partitioned into at least two drive volumes because Windows 2000 setup does not enable Large LBA support (or put it this way, Windows 2000 setup will only format the first 137GB of that large hard drive - and then, after Windows is up and running, a registry tweak is required to enable Large LBA support before the remainder of the disk can be formatted).

Or, just upgrade to a newer OS as soon as possible. Windows 2000 support was ended entirely (except for archived updates) this past July 13, so you will not see any new security fixes at all. This will leave your system increasingly vulnerable to viruses, malware and hackers as time progresses.

Back