I need a new GPU

Arlocanta

n00b
Recently well now to be precise my GPU has failed seeing as that is the case I know need a new one I have been out of the loop for hardware for a while.

It also comes to my attention that pcie 16x 2.0 cards can work in pcie 16x slots.

I am waiting to upgrade to either intel or amd's new 8 core CPUs from what I hear this year
but before that I need a working computer any suggestions For the new cards I might also need a new PSU.And a sound card witch I have never gotten.
Ive been looking at GPUS but I'm just not sure if they will be compatible with my mobo.

My current System
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core
MOBO: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
along with two 2 GB ram sticks.
PSU: ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W ATX12V
GPU: XFX PVT71UZDF9 GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x2) GDDR3 Failed
4 HDD's 250GB 500GB 1.5tx2.

since it will be several months or longer before you get a new platform just wait. there is no reason to buy a really fast card to use with your current cpu and only 2gb of ram. at the time you get your other stuff the video card landscape could be completely different.

Well then what exactly should I do I have a kinda working computer I really don't look at lower end cards honestly I don't know what to look for I use my computer quit a bit. Just going on the net is nice but not being able to watch any videos and or even play a simple 3d game kinda blows.

While pretty much anything you get new is gonna be bottle necked I would agree, dont waste 50 bucks on a cheap card, buy a good one and keep it for when you do upgrade.

What is the computer primarly used for?

pcie is backward compatible. so get what ever card you plan on using when you upgrade.

well since its always good to have a cheap backup card, I would just grab something in the $40-50 range like a 5570. or a $25 5450 for just basic video functions and older games.

I use it for games and videos movies HD Blue ray including modern games on low settings err some modern games anyway a lot don't work net surfing burn media movies and such I use it everyday.

I play EVE online and civ 5 would like to play newer games but problems with those but if a cheap card gets me by till a full upgrade then I dont mind always good old 360 to fuel my gaming hunger.

Honestly, I think now is the best time to get a new machine. Why wait for what's on the horizon when you NEED a PC now and what's out is FANTASTIC?

Here's my recommendation. I've assumed that we reuse your PSU, HDD, Optical, OS license, etc. If you want to add in a sound card, I highly recommend either an X-Fi Titanium HD or an Asus Xonar DG.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
Memory:CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4
GFX: EVGA GTX 560 Ti

The total in my newegg cart for this is $685.

This will be one killer machine. Although for OC'ing and/or SLI potential, I recommend a new PSU (Antec TruePower 750W works wonders in all the machines I've built for myself and others).

pcie is backward compatible. so get what ever card you plan on using when you upgrade.

While pretty much anything you get new is gonna be bottle necked I would agree, dont waste 50 bucks on a cheap card, buy a good one and keep it for when you do upgrade.

What is the computer primarly used for?
if its not going to be to the end of the year then why spend that much money? by the time he upgrades we will have faster cards for less money and he would have accomplished little by only getting about half the performance a decent gpu can give with his cpu. its good to have a cheap backup video card any so I would that.

5670 @ $60 after m-i-r ($70 b4):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871

should tide you over till you get a new bulldozer/ sandbridge setup later this year (and will be somewhat faster than the gx2, and your cpu won't bottleneck it much); then just keep the card as a backup or sell it and use the proceeds towards a new video card when you upgrade your computer.

Last edited:
I think a 5670 would be slower in most cases but it would be a much smoother and consistent gaming experience. a 5670 also uses much less than half the power which is nice.

Thanks guys I did think of just getting a lower end card to tide me over but I wanted your thoughts on getting a high end one.

Ill check the 5670 out and probably purchase it.

Why aren't you contacting XFX and get a replacement card. They do have a lifetime warranty.

I think a 5670 would be slower in most cases but it would be a much smoother and consistent gaming experience. a 5670 also uses much less than half the power which is nice.

slower than a 7950gx2? well, i drew the conclusion that it must be faster by extrapolating from older data:

8800gtx faster than a 7950gx2 by 50% on avg:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2116/27

5670 on par with an 8800gt:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2917/5

and an 8800gtx is usually 10-20% faster than an 8800gt, so i figure the 5670 should be at least 30% faster than a 7950gx2.

Last edited:
Its been 5 years I know I registered the card but how do I know Ill get anywhere with calling them.

Too true Ill try that If I get now where I will get the new card..

Last edited:
Recently well now to be precise my GPU has failed seeing as that is the case I know need a new one I have been out of the loop for hardware for a while.

It also comes to my attention that pcie 16x 2.0 cards can work in pcie 16x slots.

I am waiting to upgrade to either intel or amd's new 8 core CPUs from what I hear this year
but before that I need a working computer any suggestions For the new cards I might also need a new PSU.And a sound card witch I have never gotten.
Ive been looking at GPUS but I'm just not sure if they will be compatible with my mobo.

My current System
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core
MOBO: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
along with two 2 GB ram sticks.
PSU: ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W ATX12V
GPU: XFX PVT71UZDF9 GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x2) GDDR3 Failed
4 HDD's 250GB 500GB 1.5tx2.

If the XFX replacement doesn't work out, and your not wanting to buy another MOBO+CPU (X3/X4) I would pick up this card because it is cheap and performs well in DIrectX 10 games and everything below. Or even 2 for SLI IF you ever get a X3 or X4 to replace your Dual Core,looks like that board supports at most up to X2 CPU's...). So you will need an X3 or X4 to adequately push 2 cards in SLI, the dual Core will hold your cards performance back 20-40 percent IMO, the X3/X4 will alleviate that problem. Just one of that card will give you good to great gaming performance in 90 percent of games available up to 1080p res. SO if you game at a lower res it will be even better. If you do go for a new Mobo get an AM3+, you will most likely see X3/X4 cpu's for 75.00 and under a month or two because of AMDs new Bulldozer CPU lineup release. You have a lot of great low cost upgrades you can do. :)

Thanks teletran Ill keep that in mind I can RMA hope it works out on their end Ill have to use a 13 year old computer to keep my self updated on it :(.

A update to my situation RMA went well got a XFX Radeon HD 5670 witch is 1/4 the size of my last card but I can now play civilization 5 on high settings no problem love it and it only cost me 11 dollars witch was shipping.

Probably didn't have to give an update but sure feels good to tell someone.

curious, did u ask for the 5670 or did they suggest it?

and good on XFX for honouring that warranty.

They just said they would be sending a new card ask what kind they just told me it was going to be a card that was equivalent in performance witch from what I can tell so far its way better

Get a 6950 for 175-200ish. When you rebuild, sell it for maybe 130-140.

Or sell it all with your old rig?

Great to hear that XFX will replace your 5 year old card. Should definitely tide you over until you build your new system!

good for you! I'm kinda surprised that they sent you that card, I expected something more powerful.

Well It works great and will till I upgrade though it would have been nice if they gave me a more powerful one.

prolly more like 200 on the 6950. or crossfire something like 4890s

5670 maybe upgraded to a 6770 (if there is one)

Back