• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I need a new cooler

Psycrow

Gawd
Joined
Feb 26, 2010
Messages
673
Hi

I just installed my new pc with this seidon 240 M cooler from coolermaster
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10025

And i dont like it because i find it to noisy, maybe because i was forced to install the fans right under the top on my coolermaster case since my asus rampage card not would alow me to install em elsewere in this case. I sit very close to my pc so i can clearly hear the fans. Also my temp is on 38-40 idle on 1300 ish mhz and 65-67 on load with 4300 mhz..

I have had better cooling "non liquid" before this crappy seidon..so i want a new cpu cooler and i need thé best cooler you people can come up with.

Maybe im crazy here but i like to have a silent pc and cool cpu ;-)

Its a 2011socket intel 3,60 ghz cpu and asus rampage IV formula mobo in a Cooler Master HAF XM case
 
Last edited:
Can you send it back?

If not maybe think about changing your fans??

Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 19 ~ 40 dBA
Fan Bearing Type Rifle bearing

Those fans idle louder than most silent fans.

maybe just change the fans?
 
If you weren't overclocking I would suggest you look at the Nofan (see my sig).
 
Greetings

I can highly recommend the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E (but not the SB-E Extreme) for overall low noise levels, other comparable ones like the Noctua DH-14, Phanteks etc will cool a couple of degrees lower but typically will be about 5-10 Db louder which you don't want. Have a look at the "CPU cooling systems chart" here

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-silver-arrow-sb-e_5.html

78.7 degrees at 32 decibels for a 3960X at 4.375 Ghz at 1.385 volts is pretty quiet so given your running yours at only 3.6 Ghz you should have much lower temps at the same noise level.

Cheers
 
You can move the fan to the opposite side of the cooler, taking the ram out of the picture.

Not with most LGA 2011 motherboards: They have RAM slots on both sides of the socket; thus, tall RAM will still cause problems no matter what on such mobos. And although the Asus Rampage IV Formula has only four DIMM slots, there are actually one pair of slots on one side of the CPU socket while the other pair is on the opposite side of the socket. Thus, tall RAM will still create compatibility issues regardless of the fan placement.

Also, I would not recommend putting the CPU cooler's only fan in a "pull" configuration: Fans generally perform worse at pulling air than they do pushing air. This forces one to upgrade the front case fan to a relatively loud and noisy model just to attain adequate cooling to the CPU even with a slight overclock.
 
Not with most LGA 2011 motherboards: They have RAM slots on both sides of the socket; thus, tall RAM will still cause problems no matter what on such mobos. And although the Asus Rampage IV Formula has only four DIMM slots, there are actually one pair of slots on one side of the CPU socket while the other pair is on the opposite side of the socket. Thus, tall RAM will still create compatibility issues regardless of the fan placement.

Also, I would not recommend putting the CPU cooler's only fan in a "pull" configuration: Fans generally perform worse at pulling air than they do pushing air. This forces one to upgrade the front case fan to a relatively loud and noisy model just to attain adequate cooling to the CPU even with a slight overclock.

Bah, when I was looking at his board, I didn't even notice it had 2 dims on each side of the CPU. I looked at one picture and the left side dims were hard to see. He posted on another forum he decided on the Noctua, in that post I said I hope it fits lol.
 
haha nice one sherlock :D

I like to post alot when it comes to expensive hardware, then i need to be 110 % sure what to get
 
haha nice one sherlock :D

I like to post alot when it comes to expensive hardware, then i need to be 110 % sure what to get

Plenty of people have them on 2011 boards. Just have to figure it out for your setup. It could be as simple as just having the fan sit a little higher on the heat sink.
 
Back
Top