I need a little help buying a server

whittech

Weaksauce
I was hoping I could find a little help on this from someone here, but I need to buy a server to run Windows server 2003 that will be hosting a database for up to 5 client computers to access.

It also needs to have a raid configuration to keep a backup hard drive, in addition to an external backup system, whether it be tape, or NAS, etc
what do you think I should choose for this purchase? I am trying to be as cost effective as possible, but it is what it is, and those are the specs I need, so I am prepared for a wallet dent. I need to place an order sometime tomorrow and have it asap..

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

W

For under 10x clients.....
Can take a peek at Dells PowerEdge 840. On their website, the server section, small business, "Essentials" servers....it's a good little server without going into their "too cheap" line. Get same SAS drives (I stay away from SATA on servers..too sluggish)

Or HPs Proliant ML150 or ML350.

What database will you be using? Unless you're using MySQL, SQL Server Express edition or an open source database,you'll almost certainly be paying much, much more for SQL licensing than SQL hardware :)

For best performance and reliability for a database server, I recommend a RAID 10 array.

thanks guys
So you say get some SAS drives? What about using NAS in addition as a backup? What should I do for backup?

The database is a medical program. For taking appointments and procedures, etc

Why do you recommend RAID10? what is the benefit? Is raid0 no good?

thanks guys
So you say get some SAS drives? What about using NAS in addition as a backup? What should I do for backup?

The database is a medical program. For taking appointments and procedures, etc

From wikipedia:

RAID 1+0: mirrored sets in a striped set (minimum four disks; even number of disks) provides fault tolerance and improved performance but increases complexity. The key difference from RAID 0+1 is that RAID 1+0 creates a striped set from a series of mirrored drives. In a failed disk situation RAID 1+0 performs better because all the remaining disks continue to be used. The array can sustain multiple drive losses so long as no mirror loses both its drives.

There have been many benchmarks that show RAID 10 outperforms RAID 5 arrays in database applications. And, as the description mentions, this configuration has all the benefits of a striped RAID 0 array with very good fault tolerance.

For my production database servers, I usually stripe 3, 4 or 5 pairs of (mirrored) 15K RPM SAS drives. However, this would be for several hundred concurrent high volume users.... For your uses, something more modest would probably work. Perhaps a pair of 10K RPM SATA drives in a RAID 1 array?

A NAS is a great solution for backups. I prefer to keep at least the most recent backup + incrementals on a local disk. Then I keep previous full backups (weekly/monthly/yearly) on a NAS.

IMO RAID 10 is a bit over the top for an "up to 5 users" setup. If you have the budget for it..hey..go for it. Mirrored SAS drives should do fine.

For starters though...
*What database engine?
*Importantly...what are the recommended specs from the medical database software vendor?
*Existing domain/active directory?

Most medical "scheduling" programs I've seen..are Access or Foxpro based...so nothing really high in horsepower is needed..just decent RAM on the clients, and at least a 100 meg LAN connection.

a 4 disk RAID 5 will be fine with SAS drives... even that may be a little over the top but it has the ability to grow with you.

I agree, Dell have some really good lower spec servers.

Back