I need a linux OS

lilgman231

n00b
ok so im kind of new to this im a windows xp user and i want to try linux but idk what to get because there are so many different operating systems that are linux. I want the best version for my computer
specs.
amd 3800+ 939
512 ddr 333
80 gig 7200 rpm hd
bfg 7600 gt oc

so can some one please give me some direction to a good linux os

thanks guys-- i have windows xp right now if i install ubuntu will it install separately and ill have 2 OS's or will it delete my XP

linux isn't windows.

WINDOWS ONLY ON DRIVE WANTING TO INSTALL LINUX:
a linux install will give you the option to re-size the drive to dual-boot

LINUX ONLY ON DRIVE WANTING TO INSTALL WINDOWS:
if you just start the windows install it will quite happily completly hose yr linux install since it is really stupid and cannot handle other OS's
IF you wanted todo it this way then you will have todo some prep work in linux first

Ubuntu for ease of use/beginners/just works, Gentoo once you get the hang of it.

if u want to get something that looks and acts similar to Xp get Lindows, its a bit unknown but it does the job, i would also get Wine for it too.

thanks guys-- i have windows xp right now if i install ubuntu will it install separately and ill have 2 OS's or will it delete my XP

ubuntu gives you the option to resize a windows xp partition if need be, as long as you do not delete your xp partition, ubuntu will install grub, which will let you dual boot (pick between) ubuntu and windows xp.

Ubuntu for ease of use/beginners/just works, Gentoo once you get the hang of it.

hmm... see that depends, on I know a couple of people who have switched from gentoo to ubuntu, ubuntu is fine for experienced users as well, it all depends on how you feel. As some one who has used gentoo (briefly) and Free/PC BSD I hated ports and portage, only because some times compiling too sooo long.

Each distro has its own approach and philosophy, I think its best to see which distro best fits you.

Whatever distro you get, make sure you get yourself a _nice_ comprehensive book. Well worth the money if your time is worth anything.

I have a book for fc6 & ubuntu as well as rhel4 (work) and the time savings are enormous.

how do i install it without deleting windows?

take this opportunity to learn about partitions!

you can either make the partitions for linux in partition magic or similar app (fdisk, etc) before hand or you can get a distro with a non-destructive partition installer (i know SuSE install (YaST) had one...most probably do now a days) and let the installer handle it

I'm a big proponent of Mepis.

Mepis is an Ubuntu-based KDE distrobution that includes all of the non-oss codecs (for playing mp3, avi, and dvd), and has easy to use wizards for most setup tasks.

Saves you a lot of time between research and actual setup and you still get the benefit of Ubuntu's enormous support community and documentation.

Plus KDE > GNOME ;)

Ah I was going to say PCLinuxOS 2007, but I have been beaten. Its Linux quality, but easy as windows to use.

Back