I need a good RPG.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Happy New Years all. I'm in the mood for a little RPG goodness. I like the standard, collect and equip stuff, pick your party, blah blah, you get the idea. Not really looking for MMO shit. I've just started Div. Orig. Sin 2 and I just cant seem to get into it. Anything like this is right up my alley.
Thoughts?

If you want some action RPG lite stuff then Ass Creed Origins is fantastic.
Witcher 3 if you haven’t played yet.

Party stuff I can only recommend DOS 2 as it is fantastic. My suggestion would be to stick with it.
Mass Effect Andromeda is another one with a party.
Dragon Age Inquisition if you never played is also very good.

Without knowing what you have played in the genre,

Dragon age: Origins
Pillars of eternity
Wasteland 2
Torment: tides of numera

You can also look into the shadowrun games, but those are more turn based strategy

also some older ones which were pretty decent back in the day

The temple of elemental evil
Planescape torment and baldurs gate I & II have recently been remastered
Arcanum of steamworks and magick abscura
kotor 1 and 2

If you don't care about parties: Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn if you haven't played these. (And own a PS4 for HZD.)

Ok thanks.
Starting DOS 2 over again. It's super tough.

Play on EZ more think it's called Story Mode the 1st DOS is good too. Pillars of Eternity doesn't take off until you get to the DLC then it gets interesting.

I just picked up the Kingdoms of Amalur collection during the Steam sale for $12. I'm having a blast with it, it's a bit dated graphically but it runs smooth as butter and has great artwork, lore etc. It's a simple action RPG though so don't go for it if you're looking for in depth story, party members etc.

I just picked up the Kingdoms of Amalur collection during the Steam sale for $12. I'm having a blast with it, it's a bit dated graphically but it runs smooth as butter and has great artwork, lore etc. It's a simple action RPG though so don't go for it if you're looking for in depth story, party members etc.

Nerrrrd man..all something based off DnD, it's still that thing party's/group members and a role and encounters.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734497664

I enjoyed tail of berseria. has what you are looking for but is a, I thought, funny anime style. graphics aren't cutting edge but it still looks pretty good and the dialog had me cracking up quiet a bit.
"never take a woman's tears at face value" - rokurou :)

If you can bear the absolutely awful graphics, with blur upon bloom upon blur. I tried the game but lost interest fairly quickly, mostly due to that.

Yea the graphics are nothing to write home about. I ended up modding it and using an ENB. Played the game for over 100 hours and really enjoyed it. It has some very good game mechanics that I wish were in more games. Story was crap though.

If you like the Baldur's Gate / Pillars of Eternity / Torment - check out Tyranny ... same graphical style but you play badguys.

Happy New Years all. I'm in the mood for a little RPG goodness. I like the standard, collect and equip stuff, pick your party, blah blah, you get the idea. Not really looking for MMO shit. I've just started Div. Orig. Sin 2 and I just cant seem to get into it. Anything like this is right up my alley.
Thoughts?

Oh man do you have some great choices before you! Others have already noted some of them, but you should probably go into a bit more detail on what kind of RPG you want. I too suggest that both the original Divinity: Original Sin (director's cut/enhanced edition) and Original Sin 2 are great titles; I hope you enjoy them on your next try! If you want a similar CRPG (ie western, computer style RPG) then look into Pillars of Eternity (note: its sequel is upcoming too) Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Tyranny (all of which have some sort of expansion or DLC if I recall) are all great titles in the genre.

Want something more action-ish oriented? Have you played the entire The Witcher series? If not, I suggest you play them in order and be sure to mod them even on first playthrough (especially for the first 2 titles). Dragon's Dogma as suggested is another solid stand alone title - if you dislike the graphics of anyhting by the way look for mods especially for titles that are a bit older like this to do things like disable the blur/bloom/color pallet.

re you interested in "tactical" RPGs? The Shadowrun series (ie Hong Kong Director's Cut, Dragonfall etc..) is a good idea. Likewise, the recent XCOM titles are fantastic for their genre. Transistor, from the developers of Bastion, is great as well! Chroma Squad is really well made with a unique theme - if you remember Power Rangers or old school Super Sentai / Masked Hero shows, you'll enjoy it even more! The Banner Saga and its sequel are Viking-lore inspired tactical RPGs and well made. Skulls of the Shogun has a lighthearted story and is easy to get into, yet the combat is still tactically minded. Children of Zodiarcs takes inspiration from Final Fantasy Tactics and adds a unique dice-based combat mechanic. Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs is another tactical (J)RPG with excellently drawn graphics to boot and overall creates a great experience. I'm sure I could list others, but if you're open to a tactical JRPG with anime-style characters, be sure you pick up Valkyria Chronicles - one of the standouts of the genre with unique mechanics to boot!

Looking for JRPGs? Tons of options here from the "Trails of X" series (ie The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and its 2 direct sequels which have the same title plus "SC" meaning Second Chapter and the "3rd" being self explanatory, as well as the most recent on PC- Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel which is another "branch" of the story that takes place in the same world) , to numerous Final Fantasy games, there is a lot of great content on Steam. Of particular note I suggest Battle Chasers: Nigthwar - a classic JRPG styled title released recently to much acclaim. Also check out Shadows of Adam - a fantastic retro-styled JRPG. Evoland and Evoland 2 are neat, both with novel mechanics. Artifact Adventure has the graphics of a NES title but belies a deep, difficult Dragon Quest style title with tons of customization , options and endings!

I could go much, much farther depending on your particular interests.

Note: I also kept away from some early access titles (Secrets of Grindea, CrossCode - both are excellent and frequently updated though), Adventure/"Zelda-style" games (Hyper Light Drifter, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas), and those that fall into kinda mixed genres such as the excellent Defender's Quest which successfully mixes JRPGs with tower-defense style battles and Stardew Valley the deep Harvest-Moon like farming sim meets JRPG adventure title.

Good luck!

I just started playing ELEX & its been pretty fun.

The Witcher 3 for sure though.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I second Elex.
It's not a true party RPG but you have a few companions and you can choose to take one of them with you. You cannot gear them but you can improve them through skills and gems.
The game was a pleasant surprise. It's made by Gothic/Risen developers so it has that feel, both good and bad. But it feels like a cheaper, slightly worse alternative to Fallout 4. Still well worth playing if you're into sci-fi RPGs. I enjoyed it a lot and couldn't let go until I finished it. The game has a really Beautiful World.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I second Elex.
It's not a true party RPG but you have a few companions and you can choose to take one of them with you. You cannot gear them but you can improve them through skills and gems.
The game was a pleasant surprise. It's made by Gothic/Risen developers so it has that feel, both good and bad. But it feels like a cheaper, slightly worse alternative to Fallout 4. Still well worth playing if you're into sci-fi RPGs. I enjoyed it a lot and couldn't let go until I finished it. The game has a really Beautiful World.

I just finished this last night and I'll go ahead and sign off on this with you with the usual caveats of what people need to understand and expect with a Pirhana Bytes game. There's heart. It's uneven. Yes, the acting is bad. The combat is mostly atrocious until you really buff yourself up.

"Slighty worse" compared to Fallout 4? You and I might have a bit more of a gap on opinion there. ;)

When you start the game out, it's really like you're at -20 instead of 0 on your levels in this. I paid $33 for it thanks to GMG and I absolutely got my money's worth out of it, lumps and all.

Just undestand: It's Pirhana Bytes. ;)

Dragon's Dogma. I finally "get it."

I re-installed it yesterday on the PC.

I added these mods per overwhelming recommendation and consensus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/193
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/68
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/96
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/4

Add me to that consensus. If you fire this game up, add these mods. I did manual installs. Very easy.

They did a very solid KBM implementation on this but I'm going to highly recommend controller for this. I know that's blasphemy but try it. ;)

I just started past the prologue area and I can see with the gameplay, combat and the RPG meat and potatoes that this is probably going to deliver the goods.

The actual concept itself I'm not real big on but everything else I like a lot. I think I'm going to enjoy this. It's easy to come by, cheap... if you already have it and didn't like it (like I was)... give it a second shot sometime per my above recommendations.

The game really doesn't start until you get past the prologue, create your character, and wake up in the first town. Don't judge the game until you're at least into the real game. Try it!

Last edited:
Back