I need a good open world replacement for Fallout 4

Witcher 3 ? I thought you were cuddled up with Star Citizen.

I played it for some time but it never hooked me either. Too weak on exploration, discovery. Every "secret" location is marked on the map with a red "?" mark. It is a game for those who enjoy following a good story first and foremost. Also it shines for completing side quests, talking to NPCs. I think the combat is okay, even good, but the core game is following a story. Which makes sense being based on a novel. I like a good story, character interaction, in turned based JRPGs, but in western open world RPGs I prefer combat, exploration, action, to lead the gameplay rather than following a storyline. But if I get in the mood I might pick it back up. Now anyway I know what to expect.

I am not sure, but you might've not given Witcher 3 enough of a chance. Just to give you a example, my tastes personally are very microwave-like and what I mean by that is that I like my games mostly for instant gratification. Turn it on, shoot some fools, and repeat. Witcher 3 completely took me by surprise because I am not a huge fan of RPG-like games like Witcher, Skyrim, etc. So, I bought Witcher 3 completely because of all the talk about it and I absolutely fell in love with it. The action, exploration all have a huge significance in Witcher. There are underwater areas to find, huge underground temples, portals to different locations, and so the exploration aspect of the game is there if that is what you want. You can play the game however you want and still be happy. I remember at one point I felt like just exploring and I happening across all kinds of interesting things, and even some quests and treasure I would've not otherwise found going from question mark to question mark. The question marks are great because they give you a idea that something is there but there is no way to know what. Many times I have found people needing rescuing who in-turn offer you deals at their shops, or people who offer you additional quests, monsters I have never seen before... the variety is incredibly satisfying. Also the combat is incredibly fun mostly because of all the different species and categories of monsters. Defeating new monsters, and then learning about them and researching in the bestiary on the best way to attack them the next time you encounter one makes the combat varied and reliant on your 5 signs, oils, and potions to get the best effect.

Like I said, you might've given Witcher 3 a fair shot but coming from a person who doesn't normally play RPGs to calling the Witcher 3 at the age of 30 my favorite game of all time despite everything else i've played my whole life is saying something. The game deserves its' every praise and award and is a incredible and sometimes emotional and incredible journey I have not had in a game in a very long time. From the story, music, combat, world, lore, characters... they are all memorable and incredibly well thought-out.

I am not sure, but you might've not given Witcher 3 enough of a chance. Just to give you a example, my tastes personally are very microwave-like and what I mean by that is that I like my games mostly for instant gratification. Turn it on, shoot some fools, and repeat. Witcher 3 completely took me by surprise because I am not a huge fan of RPG-like games like Witcher, Skyrim, etc. So, I bought Witcher 3 completely because of all the talk about it and I absolutely fell in love with it. The action, exploration all have a huge significance in Witcher. There are underwater areas to find, huge underground temples, portals to different locations, and so the exploration aspect of the game is there if that is what you want. You can play the game however you want and still be happy. I remember at one point I felt like just exploring and I happening across all kinds of interesting things, and even some quests and treasure I would've not otherwise found going from question mark to question mark. The question marks are great because they give you a idea that something is there but there is no way to know what. Many times I have found people needing rescuing who in-turn offer you deals at their shops, or people who offer you additional quests, monsters I have never seen before... the variety is incredibly satisfying. Also the combat is incredibly fun mostly because of all the different species and categories of monsters. Defeating new monsters, and then learning about them and researching in the bestiary on the best way to attack them the next time you encounter one makes the combat varied and reliant on your 5 signs, oils, and potions to get the best effect.

Like I said, you might've given Witcher 3 a fair shot but coming from a person who doesn't normally play RPGs to calling the Witcher 3 at the age of 30 my favorite game of all time despite everything else i've played my whole life is saying something. The game deserves its' every praise and award and is a incredible and sometimes emotional and incredible journey I have not had in a game in a very long time. From the story, music, combat, world, lore, characters... they are all memorable and incredibly well thought-out.

Cool write up, thanks for that. Witcher is obviously a very well crafted game. Like you mentioned the swimming and underwater diving are well done and add a whole other dimension to exploration. Heck, many RPGs do not allow swimming at all! I have not given up on it entirely, I will come back to it at some point. I play it on PS4, so it might be a good title to try on NEO, which by the way is supposed to be announced by Sony today!

Wow, I herd the favorable comments here and went on Steam and Witcher3 was on sale and all the reviews were so promising and I bought Witcher3, downloaded it, and I was so fucking pissed off I couldn't see straight. It feels exactly like a console port and nothing at all like any Bethesda title.

You consol guys have to find a way to warn people that some game you are raving about is terrific, if you play on a console.

Now if there is some magic way to make the control UI not suck please, I am all ears, but so far I am torn between chucking it or ordering a Steam Controller, but since I generally hate consoles I really don't know why I am even considering the controller other then the game looks so beautiful.

Witcher 3 is the most polished turd I have ever seen.

Have you tried the "alternate" controls? A lot of people complained about the default movement of Geralt/roach (the horse) and they actually changed his movement controls to be more like people wanted. It basically makes his controls more precise and not as "floaty" feeling as the default controls.

As far as the UI goes, mods are your friend. IMO the best one is this one:
Friendly HUD at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

It basically makes the hud onlly appear when you need it and it has plenty of options on what you want on socreen/don't and allows things to be contextual (so they only appear when you need them).

Have you tried the "alternate" controls? A lot of people complained about the default movement of Geralt/roach (the horse) and they actually changed his movement controls to be more like people wanted. It basically makes his controls more precise and not as "floaty" feeling as the default controls.

As far as the UI goes, mods are your friend. IMO the best one is this one:
Friendly HUD at The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community

It basically makes the hud onlly appear when you need it and it has plenty of options on what you want on socreen/don't and allows things to be contextual (so they only appear when you need them).

Well, I haven't gotten far in the game at all, and I am waiting for my Steam Controller to arrive to see how that feels but as it stands I am wondering if I did a stupid thing buying a controller when I actually despise consoles and their controllers. I'm turning my PC into what I hate so we'll see. Thanx for the mod info tho, I will look into the one you linked and see what else might be around.

Well, I haven't gotten far in the game at all, and I am waiting for my Steam Controller to arrive to see how that feels but as it stands I am wondering if I did a stupid thing buying a controller when I actually despise consoles and their controllers. I'm turning my PC into what I hate so we'll see. Thanx for the mod info tho, I will look into the one you linked and see what else might be around.

I once had the same preconceived notion about using a controller on PC - that KB/M was superior no matter what - but then Dark Souls came along and it changed my mind. Now I *only* use a controller to play any kind of open world or exploration games. These games simply work better with them. Just add couch, and enjoy.

I once had the same preconceived notion about using a controller on PC - that KB/M was superior no matter what - but then Dark Souls came along and it changed my mind. Now I *only* use a controller to play any kind of open world or exploration games. These games simply work better with them. Just add couch, and enjoy.

I don't know where you get the idea that preconceived is relevant. I was so looking forward to Halo for the PC, I was buying every magazine on the shelf that had a Halo dev image on it. Yes, that was back when people bought gaming magazines to keep up with gaming news. Then MS bought out Bungie and took Halo and X-Mas came and I had to have Halo so I bought an X-Box and Halo and played Halo for hours with my kids. And I played some anime beach chick fighting game I can't remember the name of, and Halo 2. And my thumbs hurt forever, and Halo never did actually measure up to what Bungie had promised. And so my dislike of consoles, and controllers, and stupid nested menu hell is real, based on experience, and has nothing at all to do with concepts conceived in advance or otherwise.

With the developer world and the console manufacturing world, and the gaming media and tech media worlds all doing everything they can to make the death of PC gaming a reality, somehow it survives. It's not just because of stubborn holdouts. It's because the experience is actually superior.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks to those who suggested The Witcher 3 and to lcpiper for linking the first person mod for the game. I don't like 3rd person view but with the mod I'm willing to give The Witcher 3 a go.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks to those who suggested The Witcher 3 and to lcpiper for linking the first person mod for the game. I don't like 3rd person view but with the mod I'm willing to give The Witcher 3 a go.
But but but, you can't build skyscrapers in TW3...

At least I don't think you can.

Back