• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i need a gaming machine psu

gaspah

2[H]4U
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
2,373
I'm currently half-way through building my evil computer... I know I need a better PSU, but which one? I really don't want to spend a lot of cash on a part that has virtually no bragging rights (especially as im only a part-timer).. if you know what i mean.. (this cost you $300? what does it do? um it converts ac electricity to dc. Is that all? you got jipped)

Here's the rig I need it for---
Gigabyte 965P-DS3P Motherboard
Intel Conroe E6700 Dual-Core
2x HIS RADEON HD 2900XT (crossfire)
4x Samsung 400GB HDD Constantly Running (raid5)
4GB Corsair DDR-800

other things it runs but arent that power hungry
hdtv tuner/av capture card (not sure what brand)
pioneer sata dvd
a few usb hubs/devices... (flash drives, 4xLogitech dual analogue gamepads, bluetooth keyb/mouse dongle)

This system will not be upgraded any further than this and I expect to get 2-4 years usage outta this machine

Oh and I'll constantly be overcloccking the hell outta this thing....

I have wholesale access to (no name brand) true 500w (not peak performance) power supplies.. i was thinking of starting with 1 of them (as i wont have raid5 immediately) and then borrow power from the adjacent (burner) machine that already has this psu... but i think this may be a bit messy and if i can find a descent priced psu that can handle this load that'd be much better..

sooooooo... how often is this question asked here??? lol :D
 
Is it too late to convince you to drop both those 2900XTs and go with a single GTX? Because my god are you paying a lot to get so little in performance. Anyone here but diehard ATI fanboys will confirm this. (and until this point I've had all ATI cards, from the original Radeon, so trust me when I say I'm not nVidia zealot)

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad if you go with the 8800GTX... $200. You might well need more juice than even that if you go with the 2900's, they're terrible power-hogs. They will outright kill and kind of cheap PSU (as will the GTX) and may very well die along with the PSU, so sorry, if you want that rig you will end up spending on the PSU or ending up with nothing but burnt silicon to show for your 'investment'.
 
i hate bad news....
oh and the Radeons were a big mistake... I know... I bought an expensive crossfire motherboard instead of SLi (which i by far would've performed)... I want 2 of these so that my AMD 3500+ with onboard graphics can quickly be converted to a half-descent gaming machine at the drop of a hat... both of these motherboards have big ATI logos on them so I figured it'd be best to get radeons... I soooo would've preferred 2x 8800GTX or even GTS... But I made my bed... now i must lie in it... im sure these cards can't be that bad huh....

so you're basically saying don't blow up my machine... i'll regret it... dont be a cheap-ass and get a descent psu straight away...
 
Don't change out your choice of Graphics cards, they are fine. If you like ~300 watts of power consumption, 60 dB of noise(in Cross Fire), crappy frame rates on most games, almost no AA support, and paying $100 premiums on cards that perform worse than the x1950 XT's in most situations.

Get the PC&P 750 watt Silencer, it is the one of the best power supplies under $200.
 
will a nvidia 8800gtx still perform well on a crossfire board.... im just unsure about it....
 
I sure am getting chewed out over these radeons.... :D

This is only a taste that is to come. :D Check out the ATI subsection, backlash who bought an HD2900XT, said they are even worse than what the reviewers were. He was getting 3 FPS on oblivion with some AA on.

Why don't you get say one 8800 GTS/GTX, and a 650i motherboard.

EDIT: You will not see any major difference on a CF board.
 
fine... i'll get a single gtx... i may try to offload this crossfire board on ebay.... as im guessing nobody here would buy a high-end crossfire board! :D cmon $150 of your american dollars cheap cheap!! LOL
thanks peopeles
 
fine... i'll get a single gtx... i may try to offload this crossfire board on ebay.... as im guessing nobody here would buy a high-end crossfire board! :D cmon $150 of your american dollars cheap cheap!! LOL
thanks peopeles


965 is a mid-range motherboard, I have a Abit 965 motherboard with an 8800 GTX.

$150 for a used DS3?!? They are $90 on newegg. :eek:
 
it's not "USED" its still yet to be taken outta the static bag... and i dont think i can access "newegg.com" cas I'm australian and i think its a us-only thing right... computer parts are a little more expensive here... our wholesale price is about your retail price...

but no... i certaintly wasn't planning on selling it here..... :D
 
plus my board aint even listed on newegg... similar 1 step down boards are but not DS3P
 
I run a crossfire setup but i'll be the first to tell you not to run the 2900 series ati cards:)

the others are right, big power hogs with little performance:(

i'm sure in time they'll have some better offerings:)
 
well... too late for that.. i've just ordered my inno3d geforce 8800 gtx 640mb (they were out of stock of 320mb)
 
You bought a GTS not a GTX if it was a 640MB -- the GTXs are all 768MB cards.

That said, you'll be happy with the 640MB GTS.
 
Back
Top