I need a gaming laptop

DirtyCon

n00b
I know i created this thread in another general hardware before i saw this place so i though it be more appropiate to post this here.

Anyways i need a new laptop because im gonna be traveling alot and i love games. i have about a $2000-$3000 limit no more an really no less. I was seriously considering the alienware M15x because of the 15.4 inch screen and i really dont know of any other company that has that size of a laptop as a gaming laptop so...... what do you guys suggest

Asus makes a 15.4" laptop with a 9500M video card:

8600M GT = 3300 in 3DMark06 (Alienware)
9500M GS = 3700 in 3DMark06 (Asus M50)
8700M GT = 4700 in 3DMark06 (Alienware $150 option)
8800 GTX = 9100 in 3DMark06 (Alienware $650 option)

The 9600m gs just showed up on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220343
My friend has that notebook but with a 9500m gs and he says it's really nice.

If you can find a notebook with a 8800m gts go for that though, it will be faster (256 bit vs. 128 bit memory).

I can't really see much difference between 9500M and 9600M. Clock speed slightly higher in the 9600M, but benchmarks are lower. Are they both 55 nm? Probably they're effectively the same.

HP Pavilion HDX9494NR. Its big!!! 8800GTS and 20" screen. im in love with this notebook for 1600$

maybe too big for some people, but if your looking for a gaming notebook size really shouldnt be a concern

The m15x is one of the only 15.4" laptops that has the option for an 8800m GPU, so if you're looking for maximum performance at that size it's not a bad option. If you can settle for less performance, one of the laptops suggested above will do the trick as well.

If you're going to be traveling a lot, I would say a 15.4" laptop would be a good idea... I've been carrying around 2 different 17" laptops around for the last 2 years, and they are pretty heavy and bulky, a 15" one is a lot more reasonable for traveling. But if the laptop is going to be sitting on your desk a lot, then 17" is absolutely perfect for the occasional traveling.

I've read 2 reviews of the Alienware 15inch gaming laptop mentioned in this thread. Both have mentioned that they thought the chassis build was a bit flimsy. Clevo has a 15inch laptop with competitive specs coming out soon if you can wait.

Do a google search on M860TU and clevo and you'll find some relevant threads. if you have to order a 15 gaming laptop within the next couple of weeks, then yes you are stuck with Alienware.

*edited for spelling

Who makes that laptop for Alienware, is it Asus? I hope not all Asus laptops are as problematic.

forget Dell and Alienware, look up www.powernotebooks.com and check into Sager laptops. I love my np9262 with the desktop class proc (e6850) and 8800mgtx SLi. I have had it for 4 months and these are very solid, can come loaded with XP, and no bloatware.Also > Great tech/sales service here in the US and a available 3 yr warranty. Donald Stratton in sales was a pleasure to work with.

Back