I Need A Budget PSU

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
1,791
I know what I would get if it were higher end, but I don't know what to get for a more budget end. The system is an older system that I will be using as a backup for my main system and to play older games that don't run will in Vista/7.

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 4000+ X2
Corsair 1GB DDR2
320 GB SATA HDD
GeForce 5900 FX

I'm having a video issue with the PSU that's in there now, a Cooler Master 350 WATT PSU. I'm assuming it's not getting enough power. Here's one that I've got my eye on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
 
Yeah, I looked at the CX. It didn't have enough 4-pin molex connectors.

I ran the calculator again and accounted for the age of the PSU and it jumped to 360 WATTS.
 
The Thermaltake TR2 series may be popular but it is both not very good and dated. Greater than 65% efficent, 6 peripheral, 2 sata, 2 floppy, 1 pcie. Amps claimed 3.3v =20A, 5v =24A, 12v =14/15A.
Very old design, build quality marginal.

Corsair CX430V2 $47 before $10 MIR. $37 with an honored warranty and proven specifications, see jonnyguru review.3.3 v= 20A, 5v=20A, 12v= 28A,one rail 12v delivers power where needed(not an issue) newer design, true specifications. 80+ certified active PFC. 3 peripheral, 4 sata, 1 floppy, 1 pcie

Antec NEO ECO 620 $60- $15 MIR. 3.3V =24A, 5V=24A, 12V= 48A ETC. 6 peripheral, 6 sata, 1 floppy, 2 pcie

Antec NEO ECO 400 $47 3.3V=20A, 5V=20A, 12V=30A 4 peripheral, 5 sata, 1 floppy, 1 pcie

Antec EA380 Earthwatts $47 3.3v=20A, 5v= 20A, 12v= 17/15A 4 peripheral, 5 sata, 1 floppy, 1pcie



Antec High Current Gamer HCG- 400 $55- $10 MIR 3.3V= 20A, 5V= 20A, 12V= 30A

Corsair CX500V2 $62-$10 MIR 3.3V=25A, 5V= 20A, 12V= 34A 4 peripheral, 5 sata, 1 floppy, 2 pcie

Anyway all of these go on sale with rebates, all of them are better built and more reliable than a TR2 430 Thermaltake. And they remain in specification.

Shop for splitters.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, wtourist. That's the kind of information I was looking for. I know that just because it's popular or has won awards doesn't mean it's good. This is why I asked. I spotted that Antec 380 and I think that's what I'm going to go with since it has 4 4-pin molex connectors. That or I might go with the 430 for some extra room.

Oh, and I have plenty of splitters.
 
So get some splitters. That Thermaltake PSU is garbage.

I agree there. That "430W" TR2 cannot handle anywhere near 430W in realistic conditions. In fact, a well-done professional review of that PSU actually dissected that PSU, and found it to be only a true 250W to 300W PSU. (That particular model, although updated, dates back to the era in which Thermaltake labeled all of its PSUs with falsely high wattage ratings that are as much as 50 percent higher than their actual usable wattages.) Maybe that's why the W0070RUC is really only a 270W PSU with a "430W" label on it.

In addition, power supply calculators are very inaccurate: They have to account for the numerous extremely shitty PSUs on the market that can't handle even one-third of their labeled wattage. This, in turn, forces the user to purchase far, far more PSU wattage than is necessary for a given system.
 
Last edited:
I think getting a great power supply - - even paying more is worth it - - for sure, over time they last, and they stand ready to handle any future upgrqade plans that may evolve...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Corsair-_-17139020

So a Corsair TX series might seem like over kill now, but later on when you want to build something new - you won't have to spend more money, again, for a new power supply...
 
I just put this PSU in my friends computer, fairly inexpensive and made by Enermax who make pretty good PSU's. So far so good.

LEPA N Series N500-SA 500W

http://www.frys.com/product/6893426?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The N series LEPA PSUs are not made by Enermax at all. It is branded by Enermax - but it is actually made by CWT for Enermax. I think it is based on one of CWT's budget platforms. And even at that, that N-series 500W PSU isn't a true 500W PSU at all - but rather a 450W PSU with a "500W" label on it. (I can tell this by the maximum +12V rail capacity: Only 34A on the +12V rail versus 40A for a good-quality 520W PSU.)

In fact, Enermax has been outsourcing the manufacture of some of its lower-cost PSUs to other companies. Enermax still manufactures its higher-end (and more expensive) PSUs in-house.
 
Last edited:
I think getting a great power supply - - even paying more is worth it - - for sure, over time they last, and they stand ready to handle any future upgrqade plans that may evolve...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Corsair-_-17139020

So a Corsair TX series might seem like over kill now, but later on when you want to build something new - you won't have to spend more money, again, for a new power supply...
Looks like you didn't even bother reading this thread.
 
Looks like you didn't even bother reading this thread.

well, uh, I did - - and I get what the OP is trying to do - - all I was offerering was an opinion...

If an opinion is irrelevant/and runs counter to what the OP was looking for, he will read it and move on...
 
well, uh, I did - - and I get what the OP is trying to do - - all I was offerering was an opinion...

If an opinion is irrelevant/and runs counter to what the OP was looking for, he will read it and move on...

Well, some forums are like the birds in Angry Birds... The moderators of those forums actually delete posts that run counter to what the OP is looking for because such posts are considered "off topic" or "thread crapping" to the mods.
 
well, uh, I did - - and I get what the OP is trying to do - - all I was offerering was an opinion...

If an opinion is irrelevant/and runs counter to what the OP was looking for, he will read it and move on...
You're recommending a 650W Corsair PSU for a computer with an Athlon 64 and a GeForce 5900. Do you not see how that is absurd?
 
rofl....

I will chime in and state:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

But it does...
+3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V@37A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3A

Is a great PSU. Superflower designed and manufactured internals, GOLD efficiency. I have the 650 model and I love it. I wanted more amps for the next generation of cards.

of course once you pay for shipping on the 450 model your $5 away from the 550 model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068

+3.3V@22A,+5V@22A,+12V@45.5A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3A

And I will mention UNLIKE the corsair TX series....these haven't been bastardized by bad fans, they use a globe fan that is very quiet. and rated for much less dba's at 100% (not the same CFM....but still)
 
You're recommending a 650W Corsair PSU for a computer with an Athlon 64 and a GeForce 5900. Do you not see how that is absurd?

And not only that, I believe that the FX 5900 came only in AGP under that model name although the PCI-e version of that card was called the GeForce PCX 5900.

Regardless, due to its older manufacturing process, it consumes more power than a newer GPU of comparable performance. As a result, I'd still recommend a 450W PSU or higher to run anything with an FX/PCX 5900. The problem with currently available PSUs in this wattage range is that there are a lot of crappy and even shitty ones that can barely handle even 300W, let alone 450W.
 
And not only that, I believe that the FX 5900 came only in AGP under that model name although the PCI-e version of that card was called the GeForce PCX 5900.

Regardless, due to its older manufacturing process, it consumes more power than a newer GPU of comparable performance. As a result, I'd still recommend a 450W PSU or higher to run anything with an FX/PCX 5900. The problem with currently available PSUs in this wattage range is that there are a lot of crappy and even shitty ones that can barely handle even 300W, let alone 450W.
According to extreme PSU calculator...your off by alot.

I'd bet he needs more amps on the lines to provide power rather than wattage.
Minimum PSU Wattage: 188 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: *238W
 
rofl....

I will chime in and state:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

But it does...
+3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V@37A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3A

Is a great PSU. Superflower designed and manufactured internals, GOLD efficiency. I have the 650 model and I love it. I wanted more amps for the next generation of cards.

of course once you pay for shipping on the 450 model your $5 away from the 550 model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068

+3.3V@22A,+5V@22A,+12V@45.5A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3A

And I will mention UNLIKE the corsair TX series....these haven't been bastardized by bad fans, they use a globe fan that is very quiet. and rated for much less dba's at 100% (not the same CFM....but still)

Then, the 650 watt Capstone has a 10% promo code and free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

Any Capstone would be overkill for the OP's system.

Stay away from that TR2 430!
 
According to extreme PSU calculator...your off by alot.

I'd bet he needs more amps on the lines to provide power rather than wattage.

Here's the problem:

Low-wattage PSUs, even today, are also of very low quality. In fact, many low-wattage PSUs cannot handle much if any power on the +12V rail(s). After all, they are required to handle a certain minimum amount of power on the +3.3V and +5V rails.

And given that the least powerful good-quality PSU is in the 400W to 450W range anyway, what I stated above is as a CYA measure against mediocre-quality PSUs.

Stay away from that TR2 430!

Agreed there. The OP would be paying way too much money for what's essentially a mediocre-quality 270W PSU if he were to choose that TR2 430W.
 
Last edited:
If however, this is all he will ever need or use this PC for, well then, please disregard my suggstion, and save the $30...
 
Last edited:
I'd say go for a Corsair CX430 and get molex splitters until you have enough of them. It's a pretty solid PSU.
 
I've got a Corsair CX430, and it works great. It should do your system plenty of good. Just get some spliters as someone above suggested.
 
Back
Top