I’m impressed with the GPU in my Samsung Captivate

Brent_Justice

I'm a GPU guy, and I'm impressed with my GPU in my Samsung Captivate phone.

It is a PowerVR SGX540

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/sgx_series5XT.asp

It's a Shader Driven Tile Based Deferred Rendering Architecture !

Capable of 90 Million Triangles/sec

4 Texture Units, 2048 Max Texture Size, 8 Max Lights

Currently OGL ES-CM 1.1 (until I get Froyo update for this phone) GPU is capable of OGL 2.0, greater than Shader Model 3 level graphics!

Using An3DBench from Android Market Place, my fillrate performance is:

Single Texture Fillrate – 9.52 MP/sec
Multi Texture Fillrate – 9.47 MP/sec

Other scores are:

High Object Count – 31.44 FPS
Multiple Lights – 55.57 FPS
High Polygon Count – 46.77 FPS
Keyframe Animation – 55.72 FPS
Game Level – 55.64 FPS

Total Score: 6630

If you have an Android phone, program is called “An3DBench” it is free. Also another program that will tell you all about your GPU in the System Information is “Quadrant” that one will show you all the OGL extensions your phone supports. So run it, and post your results here too.

Last edited:
Between the awesome blacks and contrast and the GPU I am always drooling over my Captivate :)

I love the power in the galaxy s phones, I fell like I can tear through any game or application. I can't wait until samsung releases froyo

I'm on a Verizon Fascinate. My Quadrant score went from 850 to 2230 after rooting and applying the "Lag Fix" patch. My NeoCore score is a rock steady 55.5 fps.

Just ran NeoCore - 55.7 FPS :)

Haven't rooted the phone, all stock Android 2.1 right now, no tweaks.

My Quadrant score is 905 though.

Just ran NeoCore - 55.7 FPS :)

Haven't rooted the phone, all stock Android 2.1 right now, no tweaks.

My Quadrant score is 905 though.

My quadrant score is like 2300 but I'm on the EXT2 lag fix. Are you at least running launcher pro?

Last edited:
Yeah I got the twin sister the Fascinate this week and like others Im in the mid 55's on NeoCore and with the Lag Fix my Quadrant went from 896 to 2255. I cannot even imagine what Froyo will do to boost performance of this gem. NFS Shift is pretty buttery smooth on this baby.
BTW, for Brent:
Single Texture Fillrate – 9.50 MP/sec
Multi Texture Fillrate – 9.52 MP/sec

Other scores are:

High Object Count – 31.53 FPS
Multiple Lights – 55.63 FPS
High Polygon Count – 46.95 FPS
Keyframe Animation – 54.92 FPS
Game Level – 55.66 FPS

Total Score: 6611

Is the lag fix using ext2 or ext4?

Ot: fascinate men's, what does the D under our 3G symbol in the noti panel mean?

Also, my first Fascinate had a busted screen, but never got too warm. The replacement's fine, except that I noticed it getting extremely warm doing not a whole lot, all radios off cept for mobile network. I could see the 3G (D) thing w/ 2 bars and -96db.

Also, does using the lagfix ext2/4 eat up 1GB of the 1.5GB space allotted to apps? That would suck...

EDIT: Apparently it does, but post on XDA mentions using 512MB instead gives reduced the lag.

Last edited:
Now if only Android's GUI was GPU accelerated.... :(

Ironic that I have the best GPU of any currently available in a phone yet I don't have a single game on my Captivate.

Now if only Android's GUI was GPU accelerated.... :(

Ironic that I have the best GPU of any currently available in a phone yet I don't have a single game on my Captivate.

I was wondering about that too, I wonder if Gingerbread will have a GPU accelerated GUI, that would be awesome :D

Also, my first Fascinate had a busted screen, but never got too warm. The replacement's fine, except that I noticed it getting extremely warm doing not a whole lot, all radios off cept for mobile network. I could see the 3G (D) thing w/ 2 bars and -96db.

Also, does using the lagfix ext2/4 eat up 1GB of the 1.5GB space allotted to apps? That would suck...

EDIT: Apparently it does, but post on XDA mentions using 512MB instead gives reduced the lag.

It does but as you found out they have a 768 and a 512. Honestly, for me even the gig wasnt a big deal. I have about 75 apps on my SF and collectively they take up about 200mb. Its true that I went down from the GB to the 3/4GB but that was mostly because there was no performance loss. I havent tried the 512

Wait for the real lag fix soon (/data in ext4 vs samsungs slow RFS). It should be out soon.

I think the Galaxy S has a 56fps cap as well.

Please bear with me. I'm a very, very beginner user of Android smartphones.

I downloaded the Quake3 ap for my Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version, if that means anything). The instructions say, "Install the APK", but honestly, I'm really not quite sure what that means. Install through, what? Copy to the smartphone and install? Install through Windows? When I double click on the file, Windows doesn't even know what to do, so I'm a bit lost here. Can anyone write a walkthrough that's a bit more detailed than the following:

FRESH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Install the APK
2. Copy the quake3 folder to the root of your SD card (Galaxy S users MUST install it to internal SD Card)
3. Run the Kwaak3 Arena App
4. Hit Launch Game
5. Hit Single Player or Multiplayer (phone only servers are in favorites, hit refresh!)
6. Hit the "Check for Updates" button every once and a while to see if there's any update

Please bear with me. I'm a very, very beginner user of Android smartphones.

I downloaded the Quake3 ap for my Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version, if that means anything). The instructions say, "Install the APK", but honestly, I'm really not quite sure what that means. Install through, what? Copy to the smartphone and install? Install through Windows? When I double click on the file, Windows doesn't even know what to do, so I'm a bit lost here. Can anyone write a walkthrough that's a bit more detailed than the following:

FRESH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Install the APK
2. Copy the quake3 folder to the root of your SD card (Galaxy S users MUST install it to internal SD Card)
3. Run the Kwaak3 Arena App
4. Hit Launch Game
5. Hit Single Player or Multiplayer (phone only servers are in favorites, hit refresh!)
6. Hit the "Check for Updates" button every once and a while to see if there's any update

Install the .apk on the phone. Transfer the file to your phone and use Astro File Manager (get it on the Market) to browse to it and install it. Pretty straightforward.

For those of you complaining on lack of games, you have clearly not tried anything from gameloft (get NOVA, Halo 1 quality GFX), as well as the console emulators for Android (PSXdroid is amazing). Angry Birds beta also just came out on the Market :)

Install the .apk on the phone. Transfer the file to your phone and use Astro File Manager (get it on the Market) to browse to it and install it. Pretty straightforward.

For those of you complaining on lack of games, you have clearly not tried anything from gameloft (get NOVA, Halo 1 quality GFX), as well as the console emulators for Android (PSXdroid is amazing). Angry Birds beta also just came out on the Market :)

What are the prices of their games, typically, on Gameloft?

Thanks for the help guys.

The entire install process made A LOT more sense when I realized that you have to first mount the USB drive in the Settings tab. Mounting the phone allows your computer to actually interact with the SD card, whereas unmounting allows your phone to use the SD card. Once I transferred the file over, I had Quake 3 installed within seconds.

As for gameplay, well, it's a smart phone, and first person shooters just don't mix well with phones imho due to control limitations. But it looks and runs so, so well. In fact, I was commenting to my roommate that it runs Quake 3 significantly faster than the machine I used to play it years ago. Heck, I'd even say it runs Quake 3 faster than the machine I upgraded to after that.

Crazy, huh?

Agreed. I spent yesterday searching the market for games and there are a couple of entertaining ones on there. Homerun battle, Guns n' Glory (fun tower defense style game), the gameloft games, etc. I posted a link to a bunch of new games that are either out or are coming out. I have enough games to keep me buys and it's clear that developers are starting to hop on the bandwagon.

I haven't bought PSXdroid yet....I'm worried that he's stopped supporting it.

Last edited:
SpeedX - racer, tunnels...wipeout-esque, badass music
Prism3D - bouncy ball on steps, don't miss...great sensor usage, slightly nerveracking

I would KILL for Audiosurf on this device. That and Zune Pass. :D

Nexus One running Cyanogen 6.0 (Froyo). Running at 1GHz because overclocking makes it unstable :(: This device has a Qualcomm Adreno GPU, supporting OGL ES-CM 1.1.

Fill ST/MT: 10.38/10.36 MP/s
High object count: 21.28fps
Multiple lights: 60.50fps
High poly count: 25.61fps
Keyframe: 60.73fps
Game level: 48.16fps

Total: 5948

Guys DL Asphalt 5 from the Market there's even a free Lite version. That is an impressive showcase for the gpu

Just ran this on friends original DROID with froyo he scored 870ish. Seems pretty dem low since I swore some article comparing it to EVO and the EVO was only outpacing the DROID slightly.. though.. don't remember the tests ran ... think it was mostly video decode performance.

Back