I lost my Acer Windows install partion on my laptop

Can Ii use my desktop's Vista Ultimate disc to install Home Premium on my laptop and use the laptop's cd key?

Only if your desktop version is OEM. OEM keys will not work on Retail copies and vice versa.

*sticks fingers in ears* LALALALALALALA I didn't hear you say download LALALALALA

Call Acer up and tell them you lost your OEM and/or Recovery CD. They'll probably ship you another for a shipping fee. Won't hurt to find out.

Acer America (USA only)
Acer America Corporation
333 West San Carlos Street
Suite 1500
San Jose, CA 95110
(408) 533-7700 – Phone
(408) 533-4555 - Fax
(408) 533-4574 - Sales Fax

I tried using an XP disc I have and it loads all the files and then when I hit enter to install XP it says my hard drive could not be detected.

Most likely you need to load a SATA driver. Since it's a laptop, I'm assuming you don't have a floppy drive. Use nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html) to create an XP CD with your SATA driver slipstreamed (might as well slipstream Service Pack 3 while you're at it).

Let's back up the misguided bus for a second. What version of Windows was installed on your laptop? If your laptop was running Vista Home Premium, than your first suggestion will work fine. Just install Vista, choose Home Premium, and then you can enter in the CD key from the sticker on your laptop within the next 30 days. If the laptop was running XP, then you will need XP OEM media, or the discs from Acer.

Despite the hell that MS received about multiple Vista flavors, they did supply us with all of the flavors on one disc (x86 or x64). Helps for situations that leave you stranded for a time.

Agreed. I'm glad they put all of the SKUs. And memory testing. It's almost like they want it to be fairly useful.
I wish it was just as easy to downgrade as to upgrade to different SKUs though.

Back