I know, wrong forum for serious questions, but..?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Not gaming or O/C'ing related :eek:
As someone who is into video GFX work there is always the question of what card is worth the money. Now there is a difference if you are doing pure 3D work or video. At the moment Adobe with its CS5 package is the king of video, and one of the few with GPU acceleration. Unfortunately it is CUDA only. So checking Adobe's site http://www.adobe.com/products/premi...ataFormat=&version=CS5&device=graphic&format=
they list only the GTX-470. Why? Why not the 480? Same as the listed GTX-285 before it. What was wrong with the GTX-280? I could see if it was the card listed and all models below it. But that isn't the case with the 470. Why omit the 480. And why not list anything from the 500 series. Web master on vacation?
For two big companies who are pushing to be the big players in the GFX industry this is just stupid. Does anyone have any explanation of why the 470 is the highest level consumer card?

Their photoshop page lists lots of models. Lots of companies are bad at updating all of their pages. I'd expect any current 400 or 500 card to work.

Not Photoshop. CUDA accelerated After Effects and Premiere Pro. Video GFX work.
And as far as lack of updating, the 470 didn't exist before the 480. So why only list the 470? Stupid web master? Considering the huge amount of advertising spent by Nvidia and Adobe on this, i would hope stupidity wouldn't enter into it. But then what two companies are we talking about :p

Not Photoshop. CUDA accelerated After Effects and Premiere Pro. Video GFX work.
And as far as lack of updating, the 470 didn't exist before the 480. So why only list the 470? Stupid web master? Considering the huge amount of advertising spent by Nvidia and Adobe on this, i would hope stupidity wouldn't enter into it. But then what two companies are we talking about :p

Yeah I'm aware you said video. My point was that I doubt PS would support lots of gpus and their other apps not. I'd bet it will work fine.

Ok, I'm not sure what you aren't following but here goes.

1. I read your post. I know you mean to accelerate video editing apps.

2. Photoshop CS5 supports almost all modern nvidia gpu's. Do you really think Premiere just supports the 470?

3. Logically I would deduce that a 480, 570, 580, and lots of other cards would work just fine but Adobe is bad at keeping every single page on their site current. Much in the same way Asus can update utilities that work on lots of motherboards, but only post the update for newer motherboards and we get to go hunting for them.

Just make sure you have current drivers and latest patches from Adobe.

I don't run Nvidia, but I have considered it due to the Adobe apps. Adobe supports both Ati and Nvidia for GPU acceleration,but the Mercury Playback Engine for advanced GPU acceleration is only for "certified cards" from Nvidia. Watching the Adobe promotional video's they tell you to go to the Adobe page and use only those cards that are certified. And you know the story from there. They seem to pick and choose cards from different series. I agree that is probably lack of attention by Adobe, but still GPU's often have features disabled due to marketing, like protecting their professional lines.
Anyway if I find out for sure i will post a follow-up here.

I believe it has something to do with workarounds that allow non Quadros to be used. Therefore the consumer cards more similar to the Quadro ones are "supported."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-3.html

As for AMD, the difference here is they do not support CUDA. So CUDA acceleration features cannot be used regardless. Basically Nvidia's have an advantage in CUDA accelerated features/plugins, which in practice is more widely supported than the alternatives of OpenCL and DirectCompute.

Back