i know the MAC addy, but need to get the IP address

i recently took over for a guy as IT manager of a small office. he has dell 3048 and 5012 switches running (plus some old 3Com hubs :rolleyes: ) he left the password for the 5012, but not the 3048. come to find out the IP address he left for the 3048 is not valid either. i cannot connect to this thing at the moment.

i DO know the MAC address for it though. is there any way to resolve the MAC addy to IP addy?

does it have a serial port? if so just bring a serial cable and telnet straight into it.

it wasn't in the arp cache. that was the first place i looked although i was under the same mistaken impression as zwitterion till i tried using it a bit.

anyway . . . .

Originally posted by big daddy fatsacks
it wasn't in the arp cache. that was the first place i looked although i was under the same mistaken impression as zwitterion till i tried using it a bit.

anyway . . . .

There'd need to be recent activity between the machine whose ARP cache you're checking, and the system in question, for the address to be present. ARP cache entries time out rather quickly with a lack of sustained activity, and are removed from the cache.

You can force this activity to occur by pinging the broadcast address for the subnet. Check the ARP cache after doing this, and it'll be there.

Back