I know my motherboard support 1866mhz ram, but does AMD?

Slufa111

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Phenom X4 965 BE OC @ 3.95ghz running 4gb @ ddr3-1333. I want to get 8gb of RAM @ 1866. Ive heard that AMD doesn't support RAM above 1333, is that true?

The easiest way to get DDR3-1866 is to overclock to 233, and use the DDR3-1600 setting, which is 3:12 (233/3=66x12=933 doubled for 1866).

I think AMD said that the C3 Phenom IIs support DDR3-1600, at either 1 Dimm per channel or a Command Rate of 2T. It may be possible to run 4 sticks at 1600 and higher, though I'm not sure.

Last edited:
How am I "handicapping" myself? I believe in a lot of benchmarks of the BE they only got the frequency up to 211 or 213. So whats the point?

But since I have a BE I dont overclock via frequency. Only Multiplier.

By choice, you can combine both to get a more complete overclock. I have a 955BE and at one time before I got it to run 200x20 I was running like 210x18 on the 800Mhz "multi" (1600Mhz DDR) which was actually 1650Mhz roughly DDR3. You could set your CPU multi to stock and only do a base frequency test to see how high you can get it 1:1 with your memory, find the limit there, then start bumping the CPU multi up until you find the magic combination.

Is 233Mhz even a typically achievable overclock on DDR3 1600 rated memory? I'm not familiar with newer memory overclocks. Last time I really pushed memory was when Mushkin and Patriot TCCD 2-2-2-5 DDR memory was king.

How am I "handicapping" myself? I believe in a lot of benchmarks of the BE they only got the frequency up to 211 or 213. So whats the point?
That's the only way you'll be able to run you ram at 1866. 233x17 will get you 3.96GHz, 233x17.5 will hit 4.07GHz.

Sometimes, I run my unlocked 555 at 250x16, on a cheap Foxconn A7DA-S. With the summer heat (and crappy A/C) I've backed down to 200x16, since I don't have to raise the VCore a lot.

I am not really too sure either. I usually just try and tighten my timings as much as possible rather than overclocking my ram. I do however, overclock the crap outta my CPU :)

I just wish there was a way to determine stability of an overclock besides waiting 3-6 hrs via p95.

Would it be more beneficial to get higher clockable ram (ex 1866) or just 1600?

Also, do the RipJaws have the clearance for the GAIA CPU cooler?

I am not really too sure either. I usually just try and tighten my timings as much as possible rather than overclocking my ram. I do however, overclock the crap outta my CPU :)

I just wish there was a way to determine stability of an overclock besides waiting 3-6 hrs via p95.

I don't go by that. I don't use my PC for Prime95. I run it doing the most stressful things I do with it which is play a seriously stressful Crysis Wars mod called MWLL. I can play that for hours at 200x20. No problems, completely stable. I'm done when I get there.

Well, heres the thing... I don't think any games unless you have single core stresses the cores like prime95 or OCCT does.

All of this stuff is related to IMC frequency.

Your IMC is @ 2ghz. 2ghz/3= 666mhz which is the ddr3 1333 frequency.

In order to get 1866 support you'd need to have a motherboard that runs your ram at 1866 and will have a 2.8ghz IMC... which is tough on the core processors.

for 1600 support your board needs to support running at 1600mhz plus you need to bump the IMC 2.4ghz otherwise it's just a waste.

In order to get 1866 support you'd need to have a motherboard that runs your ram at 1866 and will have a 2.8ghz IMC... which is tough on the core processors.

for 1600 support your board needs to support running at 1600mhz plus you need to bump the IMC 2.4ghz otherwise it's just a waste.

IMC = Integrated Memory Controller for anyone not sure, aka Northbridge or NB in most BIOS. Mine runs a x12 multi. 200x12 = 2400Mhz Northbridge speed. Its another way to get more free performance just by changing the NB multi.

Well, heres the thing... I don't think any games unless you have single core stresses the cores like prime95 or OCCT does.

I realize that. I also know I'm not going to spend hours trying to get that stable and pumping unnecessary voltage and heat through my CPU when it does everything I ask it to do without fail. I used to be all into that and water cooling and whatnot but anymore I don't care as long as it does what I want.

I have tried to post my board @ 2.8ghz NB but it was a fail lol. Will having more powerful RAM increase the success of posting at 2.8ghz @ NB?

I think he could be fine by running the CPU-NB clock at 233x11 which will net 2.53GHz. I would not even try for anything over 2.6GHz on current Phenom II chips, some people have been able to run a 3GHz NB. I'm currently running my 555 at 2.6GHz NB clock, with only DDR3-1333.

I have tried to post my board @ 2.8ghz NB but it was a fail lol. Will having more powerful RAM increase the success of posting at 2.8ghz @ NB?
Not really, faster RAM won't force your chip to run a higher NB clock. Higher CPU-NB voltage will, but don't go too high (1.4v+).

2.8 is pretty high. There's been tests that show you don't gain much performance beyond 2.4Ghz NB. Thay seems to be the point of diminishing returns. We aren't talking about the HTT speed either, just to be sure. You want to keep HTT at stock for stability.

OOPS. I am running my NB at 2.608GHZ @ 1.35 V with DDR 1333 also.

I am currently running 200X19.5 @ 1.41V on a X4 965BE with a NB @ 2.6ghz @ 1.35V. I am getting 2X4GB sticks instead of just 4gb and I want to know whats the best speed to purchase is. I want to keep most of the same overclock.

But I am now confused, how will that affect my overall CPU speed?

OOPS. I am running my NB at 2.608GHZ @ 1.35 V with DDR 1333 also.

I am currently running 200X19.5 @ 1.41V on a X4 965BE with a NB @ 2.6ghz @ 1.35V. I am getting 2X4GB sticks instead of just 4gb and I want to know whats the best speed to purchase is. I want to keep most of the same overclock.

But I am now confused, how will that affect my overall CPU speed?
If you're really set on 1866 ram, I believe that your 955 will be fine at 233x17 with a NB multi of 11x.

What board do you have?

ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970

I was thinking of purchasing the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
From reading the Memory QVL on your board, it should work fine, so long as you manually configure for 1866.

Just don't be like os2wiz:
os2wiz Newegg Review said:
Pros: Runs fine at 1600 mhz. Cons: Will not run stable at 1866 mhz as G. Skill advertises. I refuse to raise the voltage beyond the rated 1.5 volts to make it work.
I am running it on a Crosshairs V Asus motherboard. The profile that ws loaded into the bios indicates 1872 mhz at 9-10-9-28. The computer tires to boot several times and eventually gives message that overclocking failed.
Other Thoughts: One should never raise voltages to overclock. That is guaranteed to shorten the life of the product. It should work out of the box s advertised. MY last set of PC1600 G. Skill Ripjaws series never worked at 1600 stable on my previous ASus M4A89T motherboard. Perhaps G. Skill quality control is SUSPECT.

haha. I don't care about raising voltage... the setting is there for a reason!.

Now the question is,
RipJaws have the clearance for the GAIA CPU cooler?

Back