I just preordered 2 PC games ... should I feel stupid or smart?

Z

Zinn

Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3... what can I say? I like games that start with "F"

Plus PC gaming is dying as a whole and anything I can do to support developers will probably help keep it going a bit longer. Oh jeez... :(

I have those 2 pre-ordered as well and they will likely be the last ones I ever pre-order since I can usually find them cheaper elsewhere. I generally only pre-order special and collector's editions of games anyways.

zomg pc gaming is not dying I'm going to create a long drawn out wall of text to feed that comment just you wait.

I preordered those same 2 games within a week of each other. I preordered Far Cry 2 from Gamestop for the special bonus(which is pretty crazy) and Fallout 3 for the poster and crappy old music disk. Seriously they could've atleast picked up Can't take my eyes off of you. The old old Frankie Vallie Version. That would've actually kept it in my drive for more than 10 seconds.

Anyway you HAVE to preorder PC versions of stuff where I live to get ahold of em. Small town ftw.

No its not really that smart. You might regret later for whatever reason in the world, and with all the download services like d2d it shouldnt be a problem to fetch even the next the sims at launch. Never was a fan of preordering.

I usually wait to see what the public says about games before I pre-order them. The only exception is MMOs since I usually know what to expect from beta testing. Too many games these days come out in the shittiest condition and I rather not deal with it. Plus it's nice buying a game after a couple of hefty patches are pushed out.

The last game I *almost* pre-ordered was Spore. I'm sure as hell glad I didn't waste my time or money with that game.

Plus PC gaming is dying as a whole and anything I can do to support developers will probably help keep it going a bit longer. Oh jeez... :(

I wouldn't call it a stupid move, but it's not a smart one either.

I usually wait to see what the public says about games before I pre-order them. The only exception is MMOs since I usually know what to expect from beta testing. Too many games these days come out in the shittiest condition and I rather not deal with it. Plus it's nice buying a game after a couple of hefty patches are pushed out.

The last game I *almost* pre-ordered was Spore. I'm sure as hell glad I didn't waste my time or money with that game.

If all the preview buzz turns out to be true, then your game choices are very smart (I'm also going to pick both of those games up). As far as pre-ordering, I'm not so convinced that it's necessary anymore. If either of those were obscure games on the PC, then I'd say yes, pre-order it. But they're both big budget mainstream games that are going to be over-stocked at places like Gamestop, Best Buy, and Fry's. The only upside to a pre-order is the bonus stuff you might get, and that's only if it's decent stuff.

Also, like others have said, better deals can usually be had on and around release day at Fry's (obviously not applicable if you don't live by one) or occasionally even Best Buy.

I was sucked into buying the collectors edition of Fallout 3 for PC. I wanted the lunch box for my desk at work :)

I will wait on FC2 until I have some time to play it.

If you a collectors-edition guy, sometimes preordering is the only way to get it. Is it smart? Nope. You dont really need the extra crap and might as well wait until it is known the game is actually worth spending top dollar on it. I just want something for my desk here at work so I spent the extra cash to get it.

I usually wait to see what the public says about games before I buy them at all. The only exception is MMOs since I usually know what to expect from beta testing. Too many games these days come out in the shittiest condition and I rather not deal with it. Plus it's nice buying a game after a couple of hefty patches are pushed out.

Fixed. I meant to say I won't even buy a game until AFTER I get feedback from the community. Pre-ordering to me is basically pointless.

far cry2 will last you a year or two before u have to call ubi to activate it again LOL whilst your safe with fo3 ATM

Smart. If you like First Person games and own a GTX280, you've gotta give those two a shot. I'd probably throw Dead Space in there as well. Seems to be reviewing well.

Pre-ordering is retarded. I've never had trouble getting a new title on release day.

Pre-ordering is retarded. I've never had trouble getting a new title on release day.
But when I preorder on Amazon, it comes to my doorstep on launch day. I don't even have to get off my ass. Same deal with Steam.

If you're trying to get your hands on the CE of a given game about the only reliable way to get it is through pre-order.

I rarely get "Collectors Editions" of games as they tend to be high in price and low on extra value.

I pre-ordered Dead Space on Direct2Drive, simply because I had the money, knew I wanted it, might not have the money later, and once it unlocks, I can play it instantly without having to go to a store, wait for shipping, etc. Generally though, I don't think pre-ordering is the greatest of ideas. (just when it will get you the game a bit more quickly or easily, and there's no doubt the game will be good)

PC gaming isnt dying, sales and profits increase every year, PC gaming is a growing market.

How does pre-ordering a game support the developer any more than ordering it on the day of it's release?

um...

I have few optoins where I live. The Gamestops around here don't like to carry PC games without a pre-order. Thus my only other options are Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target. None of those stores are terribly reliable for getting games in stock on release day.

Are Far Cry 1 and Fallout 1 and 2 any good? I feel like I would have to play those games first before buying the new ones.

Are Far Cry 1 and Fallout 1 and 2 any good? I feel like I would have to play those games first before buying the new ones.

I thought FarCry 1 was crap but the 2nd one is completely different than the first in every way except the fact it's an FPS.

Fallout 1 & 2 are considered classics. They are both isometric (top down) RPG/strategy games but Fallout 3 has been made into an FPS/RPG hybrid type game.

You should be able to jump into both of these newer games without missing very much (although you'll get more back story if you played Fallout 1/2).

Fry's will have plenty of copies of both on hand on launch and (judging by history) be$10-$15 cheaper than retail.

far cry2 will last you a year or two before u have to call ubi to activate it again LOL whilst your safe with fo3 ATM

Since the game revokes an activation when you uninstall it, there really is no reason to run out of activations.

Pre-ordering can work out well. I preordered Left 4 Dead last month from Amazon for $36.99 (the price now is $44.99). Sometime between then and now, the price blipped to $31.99, so Amazon refunded $5 as part of their price guarantee.

Combined with a couple $10 gift certs from doing surveys online, I dropped $12 on that preorder :D

I have few optoins where I live. The Gamestops around here don't like to carry PC games without a pre-order. Thus my only other options are Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target. None of those stores are terribly reliable for getting games in stock on release day.

Odd. I can usually get games at Fry's or anywhere else on release day and Gamestop never gets them until the day after release day. Even on pre-orders.

Back