i just got 754 over 939!!

honkee

2[H]4U
i just purchased an amd 3400 + dfi lanparty nf3 250gb!
i can now get around 2.6 ghz on stock cooling
and this thing kills the 3500 at 2.3 ghz
(im ram limited and this 12 multiplier owns)

was this a wise move since i sold off my 3500 939 and msi k8n neo?
i also saved roughly around 70 bucks

erm, you sold the latest technology to buy the older? I may be talking out of my ass, but doesn't seem like a sound strategy...

If it runs faster, its a good deal. As far as upgradability is concerned, we are all gonna have to upgrade to a PCI-E board in the future anyway, so the msi would have been moot regardless.

Rock on man... I went 3000+ 754 about 2 months ago and don't regret it... 939 isnt yet 100% ready to move into in my opinion... this summer however, I will be upgrading to 939 and rocking out SLI. :p

Sgt.Corleone said:
<snip> msi boards suck anyway

Another unfounded off the wall statement. I guess that’s why it’s become pretty much the “standard” everyone is using to test ram and CPU’s. :rolleyes:

Hey that is a good overclock..On stock cool..OMG...I would be happy to do that on a XP-120..Going to try later on today..

Sgt.Corleone said:
what ram do you have? msi boards suck anyway

Mindless statements like this mandate the relegation of the title "n00bie"

The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is one of the most stable and overclockable S939 boards out there. READ. For frell's sake.

Excellent move!!! I did the same after I noticed that the 3400+ (stock) was 5% slower then the 3800+(stock) and 7% Slower then the 3700+(yes the 3700+ is faster then the 3800+ 1mb cache does a heck of a lot more then dual channel) and about 10% slower then the 4000+ and FX-53. I also hit 2.6 with the stock cooler and stock voltage, which makes up for the lack of cache/dual channel. From my research at stock speeds the 3400+(newcastle) is acctually faster then the 3500+(newcastle), due to the extra 200mhz in processor speed providing more performance over the dual channel memory. Can you, being an EX-3500+ owner verify this?

im running 1 gig patriot 2,3,2,5 version.
it craps out around 220 fsb.
that 11 multi on the 3500 was just bogus to mess around with that ram.

dont get me wrong now, The neo plus the +3500 was a nasty ass combo!!

i was able to get the 3400 754 with that dfi lanparty mb and another 80 gig hdd for under 400 bucks..with leftover money to grab somethin nice to smoke on
:)

i could have just bought new ram but oh well its too late now.

honkee said:
im running 1 gig patriot 2,3,2,5 version.
it craps out around 220 fsb.
that 11 multi on the 3500 was just bogus to mess around with that ram.

dont get me wrong now, The neo plus the +3500 was a nasty ass combo!!

i was able to get the 3400 754 with that dfi lanparty mb and another 80 gig hdd for under 400 bucks..with leftover money to grab somethin nice to smoke on
:)

i could have just bought new ram but oh well its too late now.

my patriot 2325 runs @ 280 with the timings relaxed. Did you relax timings any?

how relaxed are we talking about
i can get it memtest stable at 220 2.5,3,3,x

maybe i just got some shitty ones
i heard some of these 2,3,2,5 ones have tccd chips but obviously the sticks i have dont oc for shit

AMD is going to out sourse 754 in like 2 years or something anyways WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and 939 is just better when you look at the bottom it has more gold which is better....hehe and runs dual channle......?????!?!??!!??!!?!??!

incomudro said:
AMD is going to out sourse 754 in like 2 years or something anyways WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and 939 is just better when you look at the bottom it has more gold which is better....hehe and runs dual channle......?????!?!??!!??!!?!??!

I think you need more punctuation.

Anyway. His setup, he says, runs faster. In two years people will be running different architectures and his board/chip will be obsolete anyway. I don't understand the advantage if he saved money and it runs faster. People are so reactive.

Like he said, the next upgrade for AMD includes pci express at the very least, and there aren't a full variety of pci express motherboards out there. That is on major reason why. It was less expensive than a comparable s939 solution, the technology is more fully mature aaand he happened to get an amazing overclock out of it. By the way, dual channel doesn't help AMD except in synthetic benchmarks.

this goes back to what i have been saying for a long time.. but i wouldn't get cpu thinking, i can get a better mobo for this later.. that is a waste.. just get the best combo at the time.. in 6 months or whenever you are going to get around to updgrading there will be new cpus and new mobos and new chipsets, and new slots, and you won't want to just upgrade one thing anyways.. that's just what i think.. i still don't see anything wrong with reccomending socket A to people.. you can get damn solid combos for under $100 that will run 80% as fast as a 2-3 times more expensive a64 combo (mobo and cpu)

yeah ill probably get one of those dual video card jobs next year, with a new mobo and cpu.

Hopefully by the time i buy another cpu,amd has hit the 3.0 ghz plateau

:D

as long as u can play all the new games, its fine.
939 chips is not that much faster then 754 any ways,
i just built a 754 pc back in spet, its fast.
just as fast as my friend 939 3500 pc

I would have moved to s939 PCI-E, but there are a few problems right now. First of all, I want DFI nF4 SLI-DR board, which isn't even available yet. Problem #2 is that "E1" Winchesters aren't available yet, and it will be the "C0" vs "CG" ClawHammer thing all over again... where E1 is infinetly better. No more exponential power leaks that make raising the voltage useless, SSE3 (ok fine nobody cares about SSE3) and best of all, SSOI wafers. Next problem - PCI-E cards. I don't want a 6800GT with their silly 2.0ns memory. The 6800U cost upwards of $600 :(. I could get one right now, but then I hear there will be a significant refresh by nV in april (like 5800U => 5900U significant). I'll probably have to throw away the worthless 6800U and get a 6900U, or a 6850U or whatever. Besides I'm happy with my three AGP cards, 6800NU, 6800U (got both free through RMA abuse, w00t w00t) and x800xtpe. The only selling point for s939 for me right now is that if I get one of the DFI boards, I won't need a new PSU that has 3.3 line adjustable up to 4.2vdimm, so that saves me $200... that I'm going to put in the damn board. LOL. Well, at least I can sell my old board :)

I'll probably just go with my old plan and get a 3700+ DTR, and clock it to 3.0GHz (the newer ones are fx55 rejects :D). That beats any silly Winchester right now... most don't go higher than 2.9GHz anyway.

Hopefully by the time i buy another cpu,amd has hit the 3.0 ghz plateau

Personally, I think AMD has the technology to break 3Ghz right now but are playing it smart and working the system. Right now most FX-55's can hit 2.8Ghz on air withg out using the 90nm process. They also have the new memory controllers coming out and I believe a more advanced strained silicon or SOI process (don't quote me on this). Not to mention what they have going with IBM which I think may just be the strained silicon deal. One last thing that makes me feel this way is that most smart business men/women already know what they are going to relaese next and have proven it in the labs.

Cpt Twitchy said:
Personally, I think AMD has the technology to break 3Ghz right now but are playing it smart and working the system. Right now most FX-55's can hit 2.8Ghz on air withg out using the 90nm process. They also have the new memory controllers coming out and I believe a more advanced strained silicon or SOI process (don't quote me on this). Not to mention what they have going with IBM which I think may just be the strained silicon deal. One last thing that makes me feel this way is that most smart business men/women already know what they are going to relaese next and have proven it in the labs.
Most FX-55 hit 2.85-3GHz on stock cooling, some do as high as 3.1-3.15GHz on stock cooling. Since the FX-55 are 130nm ClawHammer cores on SSOI wafers, they're about as good as 90nm CH cores on regular Si wafers. SSOI is like moving one process generation ahead of time. It might get interesting, when "E1" Winchesters are out, since they also use SSOI, so that's just as good as a 65nm chip. Untill then, I don't want to play with s939.

i only say msi sucks because i had a msi k8n neo platinum, athlon 64 3000,ocz pc4000 and it would not clock past 209(fsb).So i went out to buy an asus k8n-e deluxe and i reached 253(fsb) with all the same hardware so i have a msi board in my closet collecting dust.now im thinking of getting a athlon 64 3400 to see if i can reach 2.90 GHz.

Asus rock ,although havent tried abit yet!

iddqd, stop calling them E1. the winchesters are D0. venice will be E0. ;)

can they do 3ghz? hell yes. even the regular clawhammers probably get yeilds good enough that this point that they could have a 2.6 and 2.8ghz (would probably be called 4000+ and 4200+) clawhammer for s754.
why aren't they? no idea. blame marketing for wanting to move to s939.. though i guess i can't really complain. one socket for enthusiast chips is better than two, and will technically bring down prices.

as for the 754 over 939 idea itself, i'm for it too, but mostly cause i like my k8n neo, and i would just upgrade to a mobile 3400+ or 3700+ if i were to do that, and try to sell my 3200+ that takes 1.7v to do 2.4ghz (i'm actually running at that now for my ihs removal testing.. i should have the report on that up soon.. be prepared for a bunchof graphs ;))
but anyhow, it would be cheaper than buying a whole new mobo and cpu (though i could give what i have to my parents to replace the 2500+ they have at home)

and sgt... that's one of the annoying things about the msi board. i have the same problem. i can't run between 210 to about 225mhz, then i'm good to about 245, then after that i have issues again. i think it's a problem of the combination between the old clawhammer's crappy memory controller and msi seeming to support the newcastle more than clawhammer.

and i quote thyself ;)

iddqd said:
Untill E0 stepping is available, IMO it's too early to adopt WR's yet. Just like with the C0 CH's.

and another note.. there are no new winchesters. the new revision will be dubbed venice. i don't know why, but the fact that it's a new name implies that more serious stuff will happen, like the suspected sSOI and whatnot

Hey, don't feel bad; my 3200+ needed 1.74vcore to be stable at 2.4GHz on Neo Platinum... although maybe less, I really don't know, since i just set it to 1.8vcore, and the board undervolts savagely. It needs 2vcore to be stable at 2.6GHz. A bit over the top for air :).. I might try all the way up to 2.11 on water though.

didn't really read all the posts but I hear AMD might be able to put the dual-core chips on the current 939-pins so I'd say, bad move on your part.

From what i've been reading dual core will support socket 939, But hey he will probably upgrade again before dual core comes into play (budget wise for many of us)
:p
Dallows said:
didn't really read all the posts but I hear AMD might be able to put the dual-core chips on the current 939-pins so I'd say, bad move on your part.

I am going to go 939 when SLI matures and more motherboards come out for it. As someone said before I dont want to be Nvidia/board makers guinea pig....

honkee said:
i just purchased an amd 3400 + dfi lanparty nf3 250gb!
i can now get around 2.6 ghz on stock cooling
and this thing kills the 3500 at 2.3 ghz
(im ram limited and this 12 multiplier owns)

was this a wise move since i sold off my 3500 939 and msi k8n neo?
i also saved roughly around 70 bucks

.... but I get almost 2.7Ghz on my 3500+ Newcastle stock cooler. This really doesnt make any sense unless you got a clawhammer with 1mb of cache. Dc may not do much but all things equal I'd sure take it. Not trying to brag, it's just if you have 512 cache I dont get it and my guess is you just got a much better and newer chip. These late model NC's can hang with those winnies quite well only no 3200+ and such, a really nice price point.

I really couldnt believe my eyes but 2.7GHz is only a little flakey and 2.68 is solid as a rock. If my board didnt sag to 1.66v I'm sure 2.7 would be mine. Oh, I went with a NC because I will be phasing it... hehe... can't wait to drag my prommie back out. Just put some Lian-li clothes on it. I dont bash 754'ers, but if you just got it you have to play it's only real big advantage in your favor.... affordable clawhammers (ok... and more mature boards - that I know you did).

(cf)Eclipse said:
i can't run between 210 to about 225mhz, then i'm good to about 245, then after that i have issues again. i think it's a problem of the combination between the old clawhammer's crappy memory controller and msi seeming to support the newcastle more than clawhammer.

Hmm, strange. I'm running my CG Clawhammer 3400+ @ 219FSB at the moment at home, and runs perfectly stable. I'm installing new memory today to see how high I can take this chip before the chip craps out.....man you guys have some STRONG voltages going thru ur chips...I run my 3400+ @ 2.4GHz with 1.6v and it's Prime95 stable for hours and hours and hours....I want to try for 2.5GHz+ but damn, seems like shit's liable to catch fire with 1.7/1.75/1.8v :p But I do have an XP-120 and a thermostat I can set to 60F to bring on the cold.

Funny thing is, when I set my board to 1.6v in the BIOS, it's actually pumping 1.65v into the chip, which I have to adjust with Core Center after windows boots....first time I did this, I diddn't realise and primed it overnight @ 1.65v so I know it can handle that no problem now, heh. Either way, the extra voltage wasn't needed....I'm sure I will tho once I start raping this memory :)

heh, i actually run at 2.3ghz with 1.55v most of the time.. if i feel i randomly need the extra 100mhz, i'll push it up. the core temps don't go over 50c, so i'd say it's safe ;)
and i'll use the max voltage of the board just to do some tesating. i refuse to run it at that voltage for too long, because whenever i load it up, the temps get dangerously high. :cool:

edit: with some testing without my ihs, i can do 2.35ghz with 1.6v.. though i still need 1.7 for 2.4ghz :(

Sgt.Corleone said:
i only say msi sucks because i had a msi k8n neo platinum, athlon 64 3000,ocz pc4000 and it would not clock past 209(fsb).So i went out to buy an asus k8n-e deluxe and i reached 253(fsb) with all the same hardware so i have a msi board in my closet collecting dust.now im thinking of getting a athlon 64 3400 to see if i can reach 2.90 GHz.

Asus rock ,although havent tried abit yet!

You must be the most impulsive man on the planet. There are at least a handful of threads in these forums that start with "after 209fsb i can't boot or am not stable" and end 1 day later with "great thx now i'm 2.66ghz prime95 24 hours stable!!"

I don't see any way your hardware, if not one-in-a-million defective, can't surpass 209fsb. It just takes a small amount of troubleshooting.

Jasonx82 said:
From what i've been reading dual core will support socket 939, But hey he will probably upgrade again before dual core comes into play (budget wise for many of us)
:p
Dual core chips will first be out for s940 (Opterons)... who knows if it will be available for s939? Probably, but you never know... Most likely, you'll have to upgrade to a new chipset in order to be able to use dual core chips... even though the socket remains the same ;).

i'm suspecting the fx-57 to be the first dual core chip for desktop use. not positive though, cause amd could easily release a 2.8ghz chip right now if they wanted.

When you get down to it, the differences between the platforms are not very profound. There is the argument for the upgrade path favoring S939, but seriously, how many of us upgrade once or twice a year anyway? The board I buy today, with the intent of having more upgrade path, will probably get replaced in 8 months because a newer better chipset came out...

That's why I am avoiding SLI. I have a 6800GT running Ultra speeds. I know that if I got a new mobo and a PCIe card, that waiting to get a second card later, will not really be a reality. Buying a GT now, and then waiting several months for the second one, when in all likelyhood there will be a newer faster single card out on the market that will be comparable to two older generation cards in SLI... doesn't make sense to me personally.

Back