I just got 2 900mhz duron 256mb

File Server & Web/FTP server?
Or put another 256 in one of them and have one operate as both, and use the other as a firewall (although I don't like external access to my file server, and 900mhz is a little overkill for a firewall box).

Darkstar850 said:
Or put another 256 in one of them and have one operate as both, and use the other as a firewall (although I don't like external access to my file server, and 900mhz is a little overkill for a firewall box).
Thats what I was thinking I have a wireless router and a switch on the way for them buti cant seem to get ftp working right in fedora core 3, i dont plan on haveing a monitor hooked up to them so i will transfer files via ftp or network.

I tried FC3 for a while, but went back to win2k. I am not very good with linux, and I wanted to get stuff setup quickly. I'll give linux another shot someday when I have time to just mess around and learn stuff.
I am using win2k with RealVNC, Filezilla (ftp), Apache, and a shareware backup client that allows me to do incremental LAN backups each night. Currently I have the ports for FTP and HTTP blocked still, and the services shut off, as I am not sure if I want outside access to a box that has all my files sitting on it (like tax returns, financial info, passwords, etc). I'll probably get another box for that someday.

I liked FC3 though if you know your linux, and it can load pretty much anything you need during install (ftp server, VNC, apache). Otherwise, I am a big fan on win2k for a windows setup.

Darkstar850 said:
I tried FC3 for a while, but went back to win2k. I am not very good with linux, and I wanted to get stuff setup quickly. I'll give linux another shot someday when I have time to just mess around and learn stuff.
I am using win2k with RealVNC, Filezilla (ftp), Apache, and a shareware backup client that allows me to do incremental LAN backups each night. Currently I have the ports for FTP and HTTP blocked still, and the services shut off, as I am not sure if I want outside access to a box that has all my files sitting on it (like tax returns, financial info, passwords, etc). I'll probably get another box for that someday.

I liked FC3 though if you know your linux, and it can load pretty much anything you need during install (ftp server, VNC, apache). Otherwise, I am a big fan on win2k for a windows setup.
I may use server 2k3 but i had soem problemes with it before i always got authorization required for all my files

Well if you happen to have server 2k3, cool. I would love to have it, but I am not willing to spend several hundred bucks on it right now. After I finish my CCNP I may go for MCSA/MCSE, and I will probably pick it up then.
If you are going to buy server 2k3, you might want to look at SBS. About the same price, and it gives you a lot of cool toys to mess with. I run a SBS network for my father's business (will I ever be release for service for him paying for part of college? The answer appears to be no).

Darkstar850 said:

256MB of RAM is sufficient for home file and FTP serving.

Darkstar850 said:
Well if you happen to have server 2k3, cool. I would love to have it, but I am not willing to spend several hundred bucks on it right now. After I finish my CCNP I may go for MCSA/MCSE, and I will probably pick it up then.
If you are going to buy server 2k3, you might want to look at SBS. About the same price, and it gives you a lot of cool toys to mess with. I run a SBS network for my father's business (will I ever be release for service for him paying for part of college? The answer appears to be no).
Whats SBS?

versello said:
256MB of RAM is sufficient for home file and FTP serving.

I meant to operate as a web/ftp/file server. Even then it would probably be ok, but that would depend alot on the operating system used and how busy the server was.

Back