I just did something REALLY stupid

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
OK, so background. At the dorms I use a USB hub to just have 1 USB wire coming out of my comp. When I brought my comp home for spring break (2000FP included. yes, Im both anal and really really really in need of a laptop). Anyway, I didn't bring home the hub, nor the power plug for my MX duo.

So when I set up the comp at home, I notice that my KB hotkeys aren't working, and neither are the mouse commands (F5, min, max windows). This bigs me. A lot.

So now its Thurs and Im still pissed cause nothing Ive tried has gotten me my hotkeys back. So I try 1 last spur of the moment didn't think about it thing. Device manager, uninstall KB driver, unistall mouse driver (both generics). Restart (push the button, at this point both mouse and KB are disabled). So the login screen comes up...oops. Cant type in my password. (just put on 2 days ago!)

(new) Device drivers are loaded at user login (AFAIK), and I have no mouse drivers...Oops. (and yet the mouse works...)

Ideas to get around this?

edit: Tried to get into the admin account (even though Im 99% sure it ALSO has a password on it, sisters laptop doesn't...anyway). But I cant press F6 to get into the boot screen, and pressing reset button during boot (failsafe method) automatically goes into start windows normally. And no KB to move to the correct spot. GAAA.

it the KB usb as well?
if its not try and find a standard one
there drivers may still be installed

clark

Dude, what OS?

Why not boot into safe mode (via F8) and either run a system restore or if you uninstalled system restore like i did, reinstall some drivers? I BELIEVE safe mode will bypass passes on some OS's if not all.

hth

-Chris

p.s. oh yea, forgot, if you can also get hold of a win 2k boot disk (downloadable) I BELIEVE booting with it will bypass the security of xp home and professional.

Try enabling "USB Device Legacy mode" or whatever they call it in your BIOS, and it might, perhaps, if you're lucky, change windows' perception of the KB into something it can handle.

(It makes it look like a PS/2-KB, but windows overrides that. Still worth seeing if it has an effect.)

XP Pro, and I will try the PS2 keyboard I have around. Thanks for the ideas, I will let you know how it works. Just keep kicking myself for this.

edit: w00t! Clsoe enough. KB was in secure mode, couldn't connect with it. I could get the multimedia keys though for some reason...

Back