I just did a stupid move, think I have a virus

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I was browsing facebook and someone posted a link about an app that can view who views your profile. I normally don't care about that crap but out of curiosity I checked it out. It was a really sketchy URL and I should have known. So I did "allow temporary" in noscript. Nothing happened, it was a facebook-like page that was blank, but then it occurred to me, I probably just got a virus. It's probably one of those viruses that makes you send nasty messages or post nasty stuff on your wall, but you don't see it.

Is there any way to verify that I'm safe? I guess I could make another facebook account and add it as a friend. I cleared my Facebook cookies in hopes that may do the trick.

I don't even use Facebook that much so hopefully if I'm sending nasty messages to people they'll clue in that it's not me.

Edit: According to further research it seems I would of had to allow it as an app, I never got that far. So I may be safe:

http://techie-buzz.com/scams/facebook-profile-watcher-app-scam.html

I still can't believe I clicked that though. I normally know better than that.

I'd run a few scans, antivirus, antimalware, then clear temp files.

Then install wireshark and watch your traffic for a little bit and see if you notice anything abnormal leaving your machine.

So far it looks clean, I probably did not go far enough in to get infected. But yeah good call on the password, I'll change it up.

Doesn't hurt to change your Facebook password also. ;)

From a different computer if you suspect your primary one is infected with something. Else, they'll just see you do your password change and they'll have your new one too.

You can avoid the virus by adding a rule to your hosts file
127.0.0.1 facebook.com

Good point. I think I just proved here that as soon as one goes on that site, their IQ drops enough to click on stupid links. :D

your problem is in the first four words of the OP ;)

The problem actually began around words 27 or so...not the first 4.
"but out of curiosity I checked it out. It was a really sketchy URL and I should have known."
Facebook itself is fine, it's the occasional rogue apps/games/external links that get you into trouble. Common sense of controlling the mouse!

I hate the moment right after you click on it, that I should know better moment.
Did that myself recently, I hate that feeling. Makes it easier to identify how people who don't know better do it.

HATE THOSE FACEBOOK VIRUSES! My two friends got them and you could tell perverts when you have 5 friends with Kim Kard. naked posted on their fbook pages haha

Back