I just bought a GTX 470

Reziarfg

n00b
Hey folks, I just bought a GTX 470. I came to this decision after a lot of internal debate and the short of it is that I do a lot of video encoding for my PS3, so I want to be able to use badaboom for its super fast encoding. Anyways, I'm aware this thing is a monster when it comes to power draw and wanted your opinion on whether or not I need a new power supply.

My specs are as follows:
i7 920 at stock voltages
6GB OCZ 1600 RAM
evga SLI LE mobo
1 conventional HDD
1 SSD
2 optical drives.
and of course the GTX 470 when it arrives.(stock model).

My current power supply is 500W. Is this good enough to sneak by? Or do I need something better? If I need to replace it, I was thinking 1000W to give me the overhead for the really well scaling SLI in the future.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

EDIT: In retrospect, maybe this belongs in the power supply section, I dunno if someone can move it there or what D:

You might be pushing it with a 500 watt when you consider i7 and 470gtx.

Depends on the model/make of the power supply, but either way 500w probably pushing it.

PSUs are your friends! Out of ALL the components you put into your system this is THE MOST IMPORTANT because its the heart of the system. The CPU along with memory is the brain. The GPU is the soul. And the motherboard is the spine.

Don't cheap out on the heart!

If you want to do SLI in the future then get a quality 1KW unit. I'd say that 500W is pushing it for a 470 but it's not quite as hungry as a 480 so it might work just fine.

126962492671BZgJ5ZxI_7_1.png

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

That PSU will die in less than 1 month if u plan on doing some serious gaming and especially overclocking that i7 and card.

EVGA recommends a minimum of 38 amps on the 12 volt rail for the GTX 470. How many amps does your power supply have on the 12 volt rail?

I bet u'd get by for a little bit but u sound like u'll be doing some intense stuff. Go get yourself a corsair 750 or better. Like the guy above eluded to, check the amps on the psu vs. card and that'll give u a general idea how you can operate for the long haul.

What make/model of PSU? I wouldn't put kit like that behind a bad 500W PSU, in fact like many people have said even a good 500W is probably pushing it.

Back