I just bought a 1080ti, I'm going to hold out till 2019 for my next GPU, who's with me??

I don’t believe Volta/Navi will push 4K at 144htz, and I’m not going to buy a new GPU until it can, as that is where I want my next visuals jump to land. Right now, my 3440x1440p 100htz screen, married to my 1080ti is the perfect combination, where the 1080ti pushes my screen to its exact limit. Therefor, I’m skipping Volta/Navi…

**This thread is not meant to be taken too seriously, and I want all answers to be presented as if we each have four empty beers in front of us.** Thank you.

Last edited:
So you're going to skip it with no knowledge at all about the actual or even theoretical performance? And not taking into account any NEW games that might come out in the next two years that may require more horsepower?

I was out of the game for about 15 years before I bought my new system, see sig, and I didnt do to much research. Kind of regretting the 1080 a couple of months before the TI came out, it was horrible timing on my part. If I had the TI I would probably be thinking somewhere along the lines that you are but 4k gaming is going to get alot more strenuous this year....I dont know with certainty man. Ive had a beer and two shots at the moment so I am discussing it as requested. lol

Niceee.
But am I wrong here folks? I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that the GTX 2080/AMD equivalent will not push 4K past 120fps on max settings, the 1080ti is just starting to with 1440p now..

Reactions: elvn
like this
Niceee.
But am I wrong here folks? I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that the GTX 2080/AMD equivalent will not push 4K past 120fps on max settings, the 1080ti is just starting to with 1440p now..

There's just no fucking way. 120fps max settings? Now we're dreaming. I'm still running measly Titan X's and even that has issues at 4K...I think we'll see a gradual shift to 4K becoming totally mainstream, but gradual as in years.

Unless something very compelling comes out, I plan to stick to my sig rig as is until 2019 so I don't think your thoughts are way off. A top line NVidia GPU should hold out well for 2 years and I can't imagine anything much in the next two years being a problem at anything other than 4k/VR higher end settings with my current setup.

Would be nice to be able to upgrade constantly but more money than I can afford unless I was into flipping and I'm too lazy for that but I need to really start doing that more.

High hz + more pixels is going to continue to destroy these GPU's. Fortunately, Nvidia is pushing the envelope with 75%+ generation to generation speed enhancements. 60hz to 144hz is 2.4 times as many frames, 1080p to 4K is 4 times as many pixels. That's some serious horsepower required. I'm glad things are improving so quickly, but it still takes time

So you're going to skip it with no knowledge at all about the actual or even theoretical performance? And not taking into account any NEW games that might come out in the next two years that may require more horsepower?

I'm with you. I'll rock the same graphics cards for a long time if nothing comes out that offers a significant performance increase over a long period of time. However, if something comes out six months down the line that offers a substantial increase in performance I'm all over it. Its one thing if modern games come out and your old cards still give you the performance you desire at the settings you are comfortable with, but I find that's rarely the case. I'm always using higher resolution displays and don't like turning the graphics down. As a result I tend to upgrade all the time as I keep chasing my minimal standard of 60FPS with maxed out settings in games.

There's just no fucking way. 120fps max settings? Now we're dreaming. I'm still running measly Titan X's and even that has issues at 4K...I think we'll see a gradual shift to 4K becoming totally mainstream, but gradual as in years.

Unless something very compelling comes out, I plan to stick to my sig rig as is until 2019 so I don't think your thoughts are way off. A top line NVidia GPU should hold out well for 2 years and I can't imagine anything much in the next two years being a problem at anything other than 4k/VR higher end settings with my current setup.

Would be nice to be able to upgrade constantly but more money than I can afford unless I was into flipping and I'm too lazy for that but I need to really start doing that more.

These guys get it..

I'm with you. Been sort of skipping every other generation of cards for the last 10 years now. Just buy the ti version now and wait two years. Rinse and repeat. Sold my three 980ti's for about half of what I paid two years ago. Replaced with one 1080ti. Wait any longer and they're completely unsellable. Made that mistake with keeping a 580 and two 's 680 laying around. (just in case,doh!) New gpu shows up the old one's get sold pronto. Keeps the hobby somewhat affordable.

Niceee.

You're probably right, they just aren't that far down the road yet. Lack of GPU processing is also why VR is lagging from what some hope it could be.

I'm not skipping Volta, but I have decided to skip the 1080Ti which I was initially planning to get. What changed my mind is Volta is suppose to be a significant architectural change. I'd like to take advantage of whatever features it brings to the table. I also fear that performance on Maxwell/Pascal will start declining at a more rapid pace after Volta. In addition to waiting for Volta, I also what the "TI" version, which means I need to stretch this setup out for another 18 or so months. I'm at 1440/144. I'll undoubtedly have to drop a setting here and there between now and then, but the 980Ti should still be a serviceable unit.

Seems like a sensible plan. I am going to skip the 1080 Ti because I have no immediate need for it. My 980 Ti is fast enough for 1440p and there are no 4K high refresh rate displays out yet to warrant an upgrade. I expect Volta to give me a solid 4K @ 60 fps whereas the 1080 Ti is case by case for that still.

I will get Volta 2080Ti. I had 2 x 980Ti and now just bought 1080Ti (if I get my computer to work).
Video cards have gotten quite a lot stronger now and it's very noticeable at 4k. Now I can finally have a single card for 4k60hz! Of course, 4k@120hz is just around the corner and we will need cards for that. But I'm fine with 60hz. Finally no SLI!

This reads like an "I just donated $3 to Bernie! Match me!" post

Currently 1080 is satisfying all my needs for almost a year, so I'm skipping ti. Not sure about Volta either as it all depends on how much 2070 and 2080 will offer. Also heavily depends on the games as I see not many interesting titles (for me at least) lately.

If you have the money there is no point for holding out unless you are really impressed with everything the 1080ti give you.
My upgrade cycle is every 2-3 years if I didn't have a job it would be like 10 years and only play top down RPGs =)
Or outdated MMORPGS that were popular 5 years ago.

navi.jpg

I'm expecting Volta = Maxwell. More perf/watt and cost reductions than actual performance increases. Only the Volta Titan will be faster than the GTX 1080 Ti.

So yeah OP, if you're fine with the power-draw, the 1080Ti will be the second-best you can get until 2019. Welcome to the death of Moore's Law.

They gave themselves room to grow (GP102 is smaller than GP100), but it's limited in how much they can add.

If you have the money there is no point for holding out unless you are really impressed with everything the 1080ti give you.
My upgrade cycle is every 2-3 years if I didn't have a job it would be like 10 years and only play top down RPGs =)
Or outdated MMORPGS that were popular 5 years ago.

I tend to agree with what whateverer has said here. I find the more money I make the less I'm concerned with value/time. When the next best thing comes around I buy it and use it until the cycle repeats. However, titans have been my limit...

If the next xx80 performs better than the 1080ti and buying it won't put you paycheck to paycheck then I say go for it.

I too will probably hang on to my 1080TI for more than a year this time around. After going from 980-980TI-1080 Classified-1080TI I think it might be time to wait for a bigger improvement. (i.e. hbm on an nVidia card). I'm not too sure that the first iteration of voltas architecture will be smooth. I am kind of thinking that Navi will be the next heavy hitter.

I was seriously considering the 1080Ti (even had it in my Amazon cart), but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm holding out for the 1180 (assuming that's what it's called), or maybe even AMD's next card. I'll save my gfx money this time around and maybe get to putting in a WC loop so that my next card is under water.

I have done the same, snagged a 1080Ti with no intention of upgrading again for awhile. Am super pleased with the choice. Amazing card!

I bought a Gigabyte 1070 a few months back and plan on sticking with it until I get a 4K monitor...the monitor is my next major hardware upgrade (I use a dedicated computer monitor that is separate from my home theater setup)...my main priority with the 1070 was the 8GB VRAM...that should be enough until late 2018-early 2019

I bought my 7970 on release and kept it till the 1080 Ti, hope to get similar life out of this one.

I've been holding on to my stop gap RX 480 until I find a game I want to play and cant at 2560x1600.

The most demanding game I play is Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I have about 10 newer titles, but they just have not captured me in the same way as BFBC 2.

I had 980ti, got 1080 SLI to get 100%+ faster in most games, I am skipping cards until a single card that exceeds the 1080 SLI by 50-100%

Buying anything until then would make me feel like an audiophile buying $400 hdmi cables.

I had 980ti, got 1080 SLI to get 100%+ faster in most games, I am skipping cards until a single card that exceeds the 1080 SLI by 50-100%

Buying anything until then would make me feel like an audiophile buying $400 hdmi cables.

Your expectations are clearly outrageous. Not that you won't have that type of card ever, but you do realize the games get more demanding as well as time goes on. So 1080 sli is close to 70% faster then 1080ti (which is 30% faster then 1080 on average) if we go by your comment that you are getting 100% scaling which is unlikely but lets just use that. Then you want 50 to 100% on top. So you want 120% to 170% performance faster than 1080ti? from a single card like when in a year? Not happening lol. You will see less and less returns with SLI, I just got a 1080ti on sale here and OCed it to around 1950-2000 average. I would rather take the single best performance from one card and squeeze most out of then try to pray that sli works with every new game. But from the looks of it you will always be buying dual card setups.

Your expectations are clearly outrageous. Not that you won't have that type of card ever, but you do realize the games get more demanding as well as time goes on. So 1080 sli is close to 70% faster then 1080ti (which is 30% faster then 1080 on average) if we go by your comment that you are getting 100% scaling which is unlikely but lets just use that. Then you want 50 to 100% on top. So you want 120% to 170% performance faster than 1080ti? from a single card like when in a year? Not happening lol. You will see less and less returns with SLI, I just got a 1080ti on sale here and OCed it to around 1950-2000 average. I would rather take the single best performance from one card and squeeze most out of then try to pray that sli works with every new game. But from the looks of it you will always be buying dual card setups.
We have to get there for high FPS 4K/8K and VR applications

We have to get there for high FPS 4K/8K and VR applications
Vr is damn good. 4K is pretty damn good with a ti! 8k? Common let's be real, you really expect it to become norm anytime soon? 4k is barely even adopted. That is getting way ahead of ourselves. I am sure we will have that in 3-4 years or so. Where cards might give you decent playable rate at 8k but that even seems too optimistic since we have 4k getting a boost just now with a single card. My answer was to original comment that 50 to 100% faster than 1080 (assuming 100% scaling. That is asking for 120 to 170% faster performance from a single card compared to 1080ti. Now I don't see that happening for atleast 3 years minimum and with how dual GPU is less and less supported I don't think there is a better choice long term then grabbing the fastest single card if you want the best performance.

I have a 1080ti and I will hold out for as long as it can handle VR well enough to keep the FPS high. 4K is great even with lower settings but I want to maintain the high FPS for VR.

Reactions: NKD
like this
anything related to 4k is going to be very expensive today. video cards, displays, phones. adding 144fps to that is not going to be possible for a few years, without spending $$$ or waiting a few years

Reactions: NKD
like this
I said this when I got a 1440p monitor and a 1070..now I have a 1080Ti but I am willing to wait and probably upgrade in a year or two. Unless someone wants to buy my current monitor I'm not too excited about getting a 4k screen. I think the Ti generations usually can hold out a good amount of time.

Back