I installed Sims 3 from Steam. Now other games won't launch

Sarra

Weaksauce
So, I've got Sniper Elite 4, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, CoD, and a few other FPS, or third person shooters, as well as a few MMO's and stuff like GTA V and Flight Simulator.

The other night, I was playing SE4, having no problems at all. After playing, I downloaded and installed Sims 3 from my library. Didn't think anything of it, and didn't play SE4 the next day. Today, I go to launch SE4, and it crashes on start. Gives the dx11 error message.

So, I verified the game files through Steam, no good, still won't launch.

I goggled it, and found pretty much nothing of use. Refrences to a NVidia driver from January causing this, but... I'm not using that driver, never have, never will. Just to be safe, I updated my drivers. Game still crashes on launch.

So, I went to play Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, and the same thing. Game crashed.

I started poking around, and none of my DX11 games will launch.

What's the best way to fix this? Should I reinstall Sniper Elite 4 and let the first startup program try and fix DX11, or is there a package available so I can reinstall DX11 with all of the needed components?

I have log files from the Windows Event Viewer, if that would help.

Specs:
Core i5 4440 stock clock
32GB of DDR3 Crucial stock clock
EVGA 980 stock clock
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows is on a 120 GB SSD
Games are on a pair of 128 GB SSD's in RAID 0

Alrighty, sorry for this, but I fixed it by running the dx redistribute tool, included by steam, with SE4, so it's working again. Looks like Sims 3 just put a bunch of junk old DX11 files on my PC.

Yeah, thank goodness.

I kinda narrowed it down when DX7 and DX8 games ran fine, but DX11 games wouldn't.

Okay, then. This apparently isn't fixed.

Skyrim, Sniper Elite 4, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, nothing runs in DX11.

Any ideas before I simply nuke and pave and start from scratch?

Hmm... Okay, it's not a DX11 problem, it's a problem with RivaTunerStatisticsServer or MSI Afterburner.

I can load up anything and get it running without MSI afterburner, or RTSS running. Then, if I exit the game and start either one up, everything crashes on startup.

I guess I have to revert to an older version of RTSS, which I had just tried updating, I guess...

I've narrowed it down to MSI Afterburner. So weird, I've been running it nonstop since July. If I exit MSI Afterburner and RTSS, I can play anything, no problem. Luckily, it keeps my fan curve, so I won't have any problems there. I run my fan at 30%, and my GPU stays under 35c, until I hit full load, then it'll go up to around 70c. If I run it at 40%, it stays under 60c. I like my GPU running cool...

Apparently, Microsoft has put some kind of BS patch out for 8.1 and 10 that broke something, intentionally, in how some programs run on PC's, which was causing this problem. I asked on Guru3D, and was told to install the AB 4.4.0 Beta, and upon downloading the installer, some bullcrap new 'protect users from themselves' system prevented me from installing it, so that is now fully disabled. Is there seriously a team at Microsoft that is tasked with making Windows into Apple OS X v2? This is getting more and more stupid...

Back