I hope this is a good deal

StarWolf

Limp Gawd
I've been going back and forth for days and weeks, constantly on Dell's site looking at laptops.

I finally just bit the bullet. I hope I don't get burned. Here's the highlights;

Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
9 Cell Battery
Windows XP Media Center 2005
8x DVD +/- RW
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7800

Not my 'ideal' system but the price was.

$889.00
$62.21 Tax

$951.21

The only thing that really worries me is that it's a scratch and dent.

What do ya think?

Not a bad deal. I am typing from a similar laptop I bought from Dell about a month ago. I got the same one with a 7900GS new for $1250. I think they go for around $1100 now.

Blinkme323 said:
same one with a 7900GS

Yeah that's what I would have liked to get, but never could find one paired with a UXGA Display with TrueLife (in the outlet anyway) for less than $400 or $500 more.

How is the Go 7800 for gaming? Anyone know? I can't find any reviews on it.

lol .. already shows a ship date of today and delivery Wed.-Friday. Guess I'll soon see if it was worth it.

I've just been reading about a lot of the Go 7800's had heat issues. *crosses fingers*

A friend liked my 7900GS so much that he complained to Dell that his 7800Go was overheating. They came to his house and gave him a free upgrade. You'll love that screen by the way. I am using my lappy over my desktop now. I do recommend a fresh install of XP (or Vista) to get rid of all the junk Dell puts on.

Blinkme323 said:
I do recommend a fresh install of XP (or Vista) to get rid of all the junk Dell puts on.

Yeah that's definitely at the top of my list. This thing is loaded with crap. I don't understand why companies can't just offer this stuff on CD's instead of bloating the system.

Blinkme323 said:
A friend liked my 7900GS so much that he complained to Dell that his 7800Go was overheating. They came to his house and gave him a free upgrade. You'll love that screen by the way. I am using my lappy over my desktop now. I do recommend a fresh install of XP (or Vista) to get rid of all the junk Dell puts on.

As tempting as things like this are, please refrain from making goods more expensive for everyone else

StarWolf said:
Yeah that's definitely at the top of my list. This thing is loaded with crap. I don't understand why companies can't just offer this stuff on CD's instead of bloating the system.

Some companies are. I just got an HP nc8430, and it had a clean install of xp pro, a quick button management tool, the recovery tool, instructions on the fingerprint scanner, and nothing more (that i could tell).

It did come with a Software Setup link, that gave me a nice slick menu of things i could install if i wanted. The folder was about 2.2 gig on the system partition, but that doesnt bother me. Below is a chopped image of everything in the installer.

SoftSet1.jpg

LucasG said:
Does dell ship to mailboxes?

I'm not sure what you mean? Wherever it is someone has to be there to sign for it according to my email. If you mean a P.O. Box, I don't think so.

What is the deal with Dell and their tracking numbers?! My tracking page still shows it is in transit to the local carrier and when I got home UPS had already tried to deliver it.

A tracking number is generated as soon as a package is picked up by the carrier. Why does Dell say it takes 1-3 days to get one?

And then doesn't give you one?! :confused: :mad:

Bless the UPS man. At almost 8pm he decided to drop back by with my E1705. If I was gay I would have slipped him some tongue.

It's supposed to be a scratch and dent but I see nothing wrong so far. Not a scratch or stuck pixel. This thing is beautiful.

The only thing I will have to get used to is the viewing angle. Unless I am directly in front of what I'm looking at it slightly 'greys' out. Is it like that with all laptops?

This thing is too quiet. I'm not sure I can live without 7 fans running. :D

heh. Mine was "in transit to carrier" while sitting at the apartment office, delivered.
LCDs have specific viewing angles, some are better than others. Its still a nice screen.
Damn. Thats a nice system for only a grand. Youd better enjoy it.

Back