I have Vista Ultimate 32bit installed ....thinking of going the 64-bit route

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hello folks,

I have done the upgrade from XP Home (SP2) to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I have been having some flaky things happen with some of my games, namely HL2 and UT2004. I have been reading that people have been having some success with the 643-bit version. I have already registered and activated my 32-bit vista....what will happen if I go to 64-bit? I know I need a clean install of it. Will my windows activation not work once I go the 64-bit route?

Help please? Gaming issues under the 64 bit version as well?

Many thanks.

Without knowing the specifics, if you're having some flaky issues under Vista 32, you probably don't want to run to Vista 64. Gaming seems to be working just fine, and even better in some cases under Vista. Have you checked on patches or anything like that for those games?

its another 10+ bucks for the 64 bit cd and you have to wait a week or so to get it too :rolleyes:

From what I have read about HL2 and it associated games, steam relased their new patch for 64bit versions of the game. SInce I have the 32bit version on DVD, I could just let the files download for my game overnight. Plus I just saw that Creative finally released their first driver for the XFi series that is not beta. I am still not sure about UT2004. They say there is a 64bit patch for the game. I am also running Pirates, Madden 2007, NHL 2007, Battlestations Midway (Which is 64bit native)

As far as office applications. I have Adobe CS2 suite, Office 2007 Enterprise, Macdrive 7, Itunes 7.1 and Diskeeper 2007. I would have to unregister CS2 and re-add once I reinstall it. Office I have an enterprise key for, so no worries there.

Also, the version of vista that I purchased boxxed says upgrade on both the 32 and 64 bit DVD's. What will it check for if I do a clean install with the 64-bit version? I think it is possible from what I have been reading.

Thanks again.

I'm running x64 bit and I will tell you this. From what I gather, you can ONLY install WHQL drivers, meaning early releases of say nVidia drivers for instance = the no. I have a thread stickied in the PC gaming forums that I update when I have a few minutes here and there. There are several success stories with Steam related games, and a number of different tricks to get things to work in the thread. I have to sit down and re-organize it this weekend when I can put more thought into it but there are alot of gaming information there from myself and a number of people who have shared their experiences...

I'm running x64 bit and I will tell you this. From what I gather, you can ONLY install WHQL drivers, meaning early releases of say nVidia drivers for instance = the no. I have a thread stickied in the PC gaming forums that I update when I have a few minutes here and there. There are several success stories with Steam related games, and a number of different tricks to get things to work in the thread. I have to sit down and re-organize it this weekend when I can put more thought into it but there are alot of gaming information there from myself and a number of people who have shared their experiences...

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Can you please provide a link for the thread? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Many thinks for the link!!!

Just an update on what I have done. I have un-installed Steam and HL2 and its associated games. I also uninstalled Pirates and UT2004. I rebooted and re-installed Steam from steampowered.com. I am letting all the content DL directly from steam through out the day. When I go home tonight, it should be complete. I am also going to reinstall UT2004 and Pirates. We shall see how it goes.

Also, is there a way to Uninstall the drivers like using Nasty File Remover and reinstalling the 101.41 drivers. Although there has been speculation on other boards that there will be a significant driver update from Nvidia over teh next few days. Also, Creative released their first audio driver for the X-Fi series.

Comments? Thanks again....

its another 10+ bucks for the 64 bit cd and you have to wait a week or so to get it too :rolleyes:

This is only true with the home editions of Vista. Business also mcomes with the 64-bit disc.

You can only install WHQL drivers? I don't remember not finding any non-WHQL drivers that I needed but it should let you install them...

Anyway, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and have zero problems with FarCry, any Steam game, and even Unreal Tournament (though, I'm running the 32-bit version. I need to figure out how to use this 64-bit version that was spoek of in this thread). Not sure why you'd need any tricks to get this stuff working... it just works...

Wel, I took the plunge to 64-bit. I have updated Steam, downloaded all my HL updates. The game runs flawlessly in 64-bit mode. UT2004 runs great in 32-bit mode. I tried the 64-bit download, crashed back to the desktop when I try to go above 800x600.

Now one thing I am running into. None of my Nvidia preferences are keeping after I apply them in teh control panel. Weird.

I'm running x64 bit and I will tell you this. From what I gather, you can ONLY install WHQL drivers, meaning early releases of say nVidia drivers for instance = the no

7. Special note for Windows Vista x64 users: you will need to boot your Windows in a special mode every time to allow the installation and proper functionality of non WHQL-certified drivers. To do so restart your PC, and right after BIOS screen press F8 to enter special modes menu. Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and continue. Please do so prior to installing kernel mode drivers, otherwise the installation will fail.

7. Special note for Windows Vista x64 users: you will need to boot your Windows in a special mode every time to allow the installation and proper functionality of non WHQL-certified drivers. To do so restart your PC, and right after BIOS screen press F8 to enter special modes menu. Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and continue. Please do so prior to installing kernel mode drivers, otherwise the installation will fail.

Good tip. Could you add it to the PC Gaming Forum thread? Or can I do it and give you the props? I admit I've been slacking since I got the new Westy 37" W3 and goofing around with it ;)

Good tip. Could you add it to the PC Gaming Forum thread? Or can I do it and give you the props? I admit I've been slacking since I got the new Westy 37" W3 and goofing around with it ;)

Sure go ahead, but don't give me props. Give the zboard company props. They posted that in the Vista Beta Drivers section for my MERC keyboard.

Hello folks,

I have done the upgrade from XP Home (SP2) to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I have been having some flaky things happen with some of my games, namely HL2 and UT2004. I have been reading that people have been having some success with the 643-bit version. I have already registered and activated my 32-bit vista....what will happen if I go to 64-bit? I know I need a clean install of it. Will my windows activation not work once I go the 64-bit route?

Help please? Gaming issues under the 64 bit version as well?

Many thanks.

you wont see much benefit unless you have 3+ gigs of ram or more.

Back