I have to transport my computer to a Lan Party, how safe is this?

tesfaye

2[H]4U
I have two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs right behind the rear seat in my Sportage. I normally put my computer in the rear seat and the monitor in the front seat. The magnets on the subs are fairly large and Im a little nervous about the magnetic field corrupting the data on my drives. I hear its not that big of a deal. I had large unshielded speakers next to an older rig in the past without any problems but I just want to be safe. It's the computer in the sig btw. Any suggestions are welcome. I would take out the drives but I dont have a suitable carrying case for them.

Thanks,
Tesfaye

The magnets in speakers wouldnt harm a hard-drive if you took the hard drive out and placed it on top of the speakers operating at full blast. Although the vibration that it would undergo if you did such a thing MIGHT have an effect ;)

should be fine i put a 40lb magnet of a sub onto my laptop without thinking and it was cool ... you need seriousl amounts o EM feilds (or really focused) to screw HD's

Exactly, it has to be a perfectly focused field (as in the same type of field the write heads actually use) for it to do anything. I'm sure >50% of the people here have taken apart a dead(or maybe not dead :)) HD and found the incredibly powerful magnets that are actually INSIDE the enclosures themselves. Now holding a magnet to a floppy would be another story...

yeah, generally, its a myth that a magnet can fux0r your data. i mean, if it were true, how would we be able to write data on the thing anyway, with the magnet in there being so powerful

Sounds like you've got the right idea, I'd be more worried about having a monitor near magnets than having your rig near them :).

Erik

I agree with Dem, I would worry more about your moniter near magnets.

Back