I have three wireless routers...

wol-va-rine

2[H]4U
which one is the best...?

Netgear WGR614v7 (currently using)...
D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G (DI-624)...
and a Hawking HWR54G...

are any of these better for gaming for any reason...?

I would say dlink because i have a dlink dgl-4500 router and it works great.

neatgear router I had problems before and linksys I had problems before too. Never tried a hawking

I would say dlink because i have a dlink dgl-4500 router and it works great.

neatgear router I had problems before and linksys I had problems before too. Never tried a hawking

they're all old (what can I say, I'm a cheap bastard and got the D-Link from a thrift store for $5 with the ginormous antenna included, that's what intrigued me about it), I just want the one with the guts that will get me the best gaming performance through my ethernet connection, I get in games a lot and when I press the fire button it takes 2-4 seconds to actually fire and sometimes it'll fir and I don't even have a gun showing, all this and my ping is usually under 300...

I get in games a lot and when I press the fire button it takes 2-4 seconds to actually fire and sometimes it'll fir and I don't even have a gun showing, all this and my ping is usually under 300...

I think that's more connection / server related than a router issue. The rule of thumb is to play in servers with <150 ping. Under 100 is ideal. That said, there are some routers that claim superior gaming performance. I think it has to do with how the router routes the packets. I found it's more marketing hype than anything.

For the most part that's probably true, but the D-Link devices work pretty well. In my experience with the DGL-4300 (the G version of the 4500, the little brother) has been superb. QoS functions as it should and the "game fuel" technology works extremely well.

I have a 20mb connection, which comes out to roughly 2400KBps. When downloading, I throttle the downloads to 2000KBps so I don't eat the whole connection and I game and web browse at the same time. Pings have hardly changed and still well under 100ms, web browsing barely hiccups. That's with almost 2MB/s coming in.

It can also handle a fair amount of connections for anyone that torrents. My roomate does and I make his priority 255 (the lowest LOL). Doesn't seem to get in the way of my activities very much :)

Back