I have this exact problem

ManCannon

2[H]4U
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21565472.html

There's some discussion at the bottom about this problem and some if it seems to indicate that there's nothing I can do. Does anyone here know anything about this? Am I going to need a new router or is there some option I can change in the router's settings, is there anything I can do at all?

I just got Quake 4 today and I can't join any servers because of this. The demo was fine because it had a small server list and I had a lot of fun playing it, now I get the full game because of how much fun I had and I can't play without being hassled by this crap. Does anyone have any ideas?

ManCannon said:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21565472.html

There's some discussion at the bottom about this problem and some if it seems to indicate that there's nothing I can do. Does anyone here know anything about this? Am I going to need a new router or is there some option I can change in the router's settings, is there anything I can do at all?

I just got Quake 4 today and I can't join any servers because of this. The demo was fine because it had a small server list and I had a lot of fun playing it, now I get the full game because of how much fun I had and I can't play without being hassled by this crap. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you want any help in regards to your router, it would be nice to know what kind you have. :rolleyes:

To rule out anything else (ISP issues, etc) I would try hooking up your PC directly to the cable/dsl/t1/t3/OC3/whateverthefuckyou'vegot directly. If it works, you know that your router is the issue. (Just make sure you've got some sort of firewall up because you'll be kinda naked on the internet)

I would try that^^^. Try bypassing the router & make sure you can connect without it. If you can connect without the router, then try upgrading the firmware on your router and/or setting up port forwarding.

When I said that I had the exact problem I meant that I had that I had that exact router too. I guess I should have been a little more clear. Alright I'm gonna eliminate the router in a bit and see what happens.

Just tried it, had the same thing happen with the modem going directly into the computer. So is this maybe an ISP issue and I should take it up with them or is there anything I can try on my own?

Something else I've noticed, I don't see anywhere near as many servers or players as the Gamespy stats says there are.

I just did a refresh and returned about 70 servers with 14 people playing, yet Gamespy tells me theres 1402 servers and 702 players. The refresh doesn't stop, it always finishes and it's bringing up new servers until the end, but nowhere even close to the amount that there actually is.

I'm actually considering playing the demo again so I can get a game or two in, so as you can probably guess I'm a little frustrated :(. It wouldn't be so bad if the lowest pinging server out of those few with people playing was a german server pinging 180, one person playing. All the rest were in the range that Quake 4 deems unplayable, 90% of them being over 300.I bought the game because I thought I'd have more servers to play on and so far I've yet to get 1 good game in :(.

This all wouldn't be a problem if developer's would make good server browsers. UT2004 has the best server browser I've ever used. Most browsers ping the entire server list even if you enable filters, which is what screws me over. UT2004 on the other hand, only pings the servers that meet your filter criteria. So while there may be 1,000 DM servers, after I'm through filtering them the game only pings about 50 of them. I've never had any problems with that game, which is why it's so annoying to have to deal with this kind of crap now.

Back