I have some problems with my new Xeon 4P rig, need some help?

In reality, you dont need to replace your PSU, but you NEED to get different 8 pin adapters, you should grab a PCIe to EPS kit, its VERY VERY necissary.

My 4p 2011 4x E5-4650s idles at 187 Watts and folds right around 800w...
There is no reason that his current power setup is preventing him from posting...
However... it is not the best, fix it (4x8pin EPS or 2xEPS, 2x PCIE to EPS)...
but DO clean the cpus and check them pins...
Thanks Patriot.
I am just finish doing all that. I clean the CPUs under with alcohol, and I have connected 2 PSUs with a spesial cable that let med start both at the same time so there is no delay between the two when they starts. It did not make any change. It starting alright with 1,2 or 3 CPUs when CPU1 is included, but not with all four, so it is like before this was done, like this:

PSU2 is behind PSU1 and is not visable on the picture, but as you can see it has 2 x EPS-12V connectors for CPU, no all is real EPS-12V connectors.

BUT...I am still not sure about population of memory sticks. When I look in the manual this is what I think is the right way, please help me undestand this explanation correct?

For population of 16 sticks with four CPUs, I have used this explanation : "4 CPUs & 18~32 DIMMs"

CPU1/CPU2/CPU3/CPU4

CPU1: A1, A2, B1, B2
CPU2: E1, E2, P1, P2
CPU3: J1, J2, K1, K2
CPU4: N1, N2, P1, P2

And at the end it says "+ any pairs in the other DIMM slots" What does that sentence mean?

Everyone says I have misunderstand the memory population! Maybe I am stupid, but in my mind I feel I have done it right. If not, tell me where I have done the wrong thinking.:)

Here is clip from the manual.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BUT...I am still not sure about population of memory sticks. When I look in the manual this is what I think is the right way, please help me undestand this explanation correct?

For population of 16 sticks with four CPUs, I have used this explanation : "4 CPUs & 18~32 DIMMs"

CPU1/CPU2/CPU3/CPU4

CPU1: A1, A2, B1, B2
CPU2: E1, E2, P1, P2
CPU3: J1, J2, K1, K2
CPU4: N1, N2, P1, P2

Install memory in slots with number "1": A1, B1, C1,....

Thanks, but,

Population of A1, B1, C1,....make no difference.

I am starting to belive that the problem is the ES CPUs, and that the reason is difference in stepping. I have order 16 more sticks of the Kingston memory so I can populate the mobo in all memory slots. I will wait until I have tested this, but if it is not working, then I will return the chips to the ebay seller. As fare as I know he do not have more of this 4650 chips at the moment. If he do not have, I have to ask the vendor of my motherboard if I can change the board to another kind, maybe a G34, and I will buy me some 6180 chips.

I'm starting to get tired of this whole rig, sorry, but this has been some very long days with a lot of problems.

Last edited:
The CPU seller on ebay states that it "Works in Dual or Quad Processor Setup.". Did he make a test by himself? Is it possible that he has a special BIOS for supporting current ES chips?

Thanks.
I do not think so because he could not possible know what kind of mobo I as a buyer will have. But I will send him a question about the problem, and maybe he have a solution.

A new issue came up this morning.

My supplier of the motherboard offer to test the motherboard with my CPU's, and also test it with different PSU, memory and CPU's? They will not charge me for this. I am very pleased with this offer from my supplier.

When I was about to packing the motherboard for sending to my supplier, I did take a look at the back side of the motherboard, and here is what I find!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am aware about that this Mobo has been mounted in a barebone machine at my supplier before it come to me, and what this picture shows look to me as a kind of modification of the mobo. Could this be the reason why the board will not boot up when all four of the CPUs is installed?

Send the chips to tear for testing, and the motherboard back to the vendor... that is a proto board. (report them to SM as well)

I agree with what Patriot had to say. Keep the chips, ditch that board as quickly as possible.

seriously dude !!!!!! i can't believe u spending tons of money on these stuff and did not bother to inspect all of them at least once before trying to put them together.

Ooopss looks like a lesson learned here, but I can see how it happens (Not Inspecting that is) some times when I get a shiny new toy like this I tend to get a little excited :D and there may have been a time or 2 that I might have forgotten to inspect things thoroughly. :eek:

And yes I have been bitten before by bent pins but I did learn my lesson I now do a through inspection before assembly. But it can sure be hard to resist the urge to throw it together as quick as possible at times. :D

Ooopss looks like a lesson learned here, but I can see how it happens (Not Inspecting that is) some times when I get a shiny new toy like this I tend to get a little excited :D and there may have been a time or 2 that I might have forgotten to inspect things thoroughly. :eek:

And yes I have been bitten before by bent pins but I did learn my lesson I now do a through inspection before assembly. But it can sure be hard to resist the urge to throw it together as quick as possible at times. :D

I had a Tyan 2P G34 board that had a bunch of bent pins from NewEgg. Fixed it but it took a lot of effort to get that rehabilitated.

BTW - where did all of this stuff come from?

Heh... I remember when wire trace fixes were common place. :p

What is the H/W rev of your board? Should be printed somewhere on the top of the PCB.

Mine is 1.02.

Send the chips to tear for testing, and the motherboard back to the vendor... that is a proto board. (report them to SM as well)

It is maybe a proto board, I do not know, but my supplier have to give me a new one because of this wire at the back. He did not know it was there before I send him the picture.

My first ordered card was delayed, so I agreed to received a card that they had standing in a barebone machine. This was perhaps not the smartest thing I've done, but I'm sure this will be settled in now.

I have doing business with him before and trust him fully, so there is no problems there. He offered me this:

"Can you ship the motherboard back to us with CPU's, so we can test it with different PSU, memory and CPU's? We will not charge you for this."

And that is what I have done, and I hopefully belive that I will recive a new board in return (the brand new one I was suppose to have in the first place) that is fully working.

What is the H/W rev of your board? Should be printed somewhere on the top of the PCB.

Mine is 1.02.
H/W rev is 1.01 and the bios is v1.0

Well folks, thank you for all the help you have given, a spesial thanks to Grandpa_01, Patriot and Tear. I do not think this is the time for speculations, and if we give my supplier some time to settle things I am convinced that this will end good.

It is nice to see your 'supplier' stepping up to the plate. Hopefully all will turn out well and it will be folding soon.

Do you still have the board or is it already at your supplier's? If you do, I've got several ideas...

I sent it yesterday, but I am still open for ideas?

BTW: I sent you a PM this morning!

Last edited:
(With one or two CPUs loaded) turn all secondary features off (Intel Virtualization Technology, VT-d, Data Direct I/O, DCA).

Lower QPI frequency and/or put it in slow mode (try different settings).

All that only w/memory populated only in CPU1 slots.

I browsed BIOS a bit last night and that's what stood out to me...

Update: one more thing, you could consider loading 1.0a ROM as well.

Thanks, and very interesting, and damn I did not know this before I sent the card for testing. But, I expect they are to send med a brand new mobo this time, some time next week I hope.

Hope your new mobo will work fine!
The C1 stepping E5-4650's all-core TB frequency is 3.1GHz while the retail C2 4650's is only 2.9GHz.
I'm very interested to know how powerful its performance will be.

My SM X9QRi-F+ with my 4 x E5 4650 ES have now been tested in a SuperMicro barebone box with their own (SM) PSU and everything is working just fine. They are concluding that it is my Corsair AX 1200W 80+ Gold PSU that make the different. I do not know if I belive this as a fact, but want to know what you experts think about this issue?

They was using this memory: http://www.supersmart.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:4448311

Those of you who have this card working, what kind of PSU are you using?

Last edited:
It's hard to tell what the exact reason for the difference is. But since your supplier said they could "test it with different PSU, memory and CPU" for you. So, why not ask them perform a test to see if it could work with another PSU (Corsair AX1200 or similar ones like it)?

So are they saying that the motherboard you had is working with the CPUs now with the SM PSU? Or did they just try your CPUs in another barebones server? If the later is the case then I still think the original motherboard you had was the real problem.

They will not do that, because it is not SM policy, and they only use components approved by SuperMicro when doing such testing. I can not argue about this with them either!

Is there a different to booting such a mobo out of, or inside a box? I mean in a box there is connection to PWR, Reset, and so on where the mobo is grounded to the box. Outside a box I just short circuit pin 1 and 2 to start the system. Inside a box it is more connected to the chassie if you understand what I mean? Could this make a different booting, and how it is booting?

So are they saying that the motherboard you had is working with the CPUs now with the SM PSU? Or did they just try your CPUs in another barebones server? If the later is the case then I still think the original motherboard you had was the real problem.

I sent them the mobo with all my CPUs assembled, and they mounted it in a barebone case (the same one it came from in the first place) and started. It booted with all CPUs online and everything seems to work fine. I have pictures from when all of them is visable in bios, as they sent me.

The main question is if I should take the chance that it will work with my PSU, now with four EPS-12V connectors?

I could have been unfortunate the first time. That have happend before with my G34 boards, and change the day after to booting ok again. This mobo`s are some times moody if you ask me.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, it might be easier to just buy the the SM case and PSU that they used for testing.

I think there is no difference. And where did you rest your mobo on during your tests?
It's said that the mobo should not be rested on any conductive surfaces or ESD bags.

Is there a different to booting such a mobo out of, or inside a box? I mean in a box there is connection to PWR, Reset, and so on where the mobo is grounded to the box. Outside a box I just short circuit pin 1 and 2 to start the system. Inside a box it is more connected to the chassie if you understand what I mean? Could this make a different booting, and how it is booting?

I think there is no difference. And where did you rest your mobo on during your tests?
It's said that the mobo should not be rested on any conductive surfaces or ESD bags.

I rest it on my desk, wich is made of dark wood. Is it possible it will be too close to the tabletop so that it can occur any static electricity between the motherboard and the tabletop.

For a case and PSU??!??! I think I am in the wrong line of business.

I have misunderstand, the price was with the motherboard, so netto price is $1210, but it is not cheap that either.

Here I found a thread which solved a similar boot problem as you met (boot for 1 cpu but failed for 2, in a 2p rig). Hope it would be helpful.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1623984

BTW, I don't think the price ($1200) is too expensive for the barebone if it is a SYS-8047R-TRF+ (with 2x1400W redundant platinum PSU).

I rest it on my desk, wich is made of dark wood. Is it possible it will be too close to the tabletop so that it can occur any static electricity between the motherboard and the tabletop.

I have misunderstand, the price was with the motherboard, so netto price is $1210, but it is not cheap that either.

Thanks, but the problem he have run him selv into was definitely a PSU problem in my opinion.

If it is 2 x 1400W redundant platinum PSU in the barebone box I am impressed!

Update: I got the SYS-8047R-TRF+ for a reasonable price of $920 and I am happy with that. They have testet the system with my 4 x E5-4650 ES installed and they are working together as they should. The price of the system ended at $6.092 which is not to bad.;)

If I am lucky I will have the system in folding over the weekend.

Update again: After troubleshooting the mobo one last time supermicro have concluded that there is actually something wrong with the card and my supplier have been asked to apply for RMA. He have now applied the cross-shipment RMA then we'll see if they could send a replacement immediately or if he actually have to send in the motherboard for repair. The problem is that the mobo have lost the IPMI function that in extreme situations can cause the CPUs not to be found.

So it seems that I was right in my conclusion after all, and hope this not will take to long!:D

Last edited:
The price for the barebone is very nice.
But I'm curious how your supplier could make another conclusion on the mobo in such a short time?
What are the new symptoms they have observed? And could the IPMI function be disabled in BIOS?

Thanks, but the problem he have run him selv into was definitely a PSU problem in my opinion.

If it is 2 x 1400W redundant platinum PSU in the barebone box I am impressed!

Update: I got the SYS-8047R-TRF+ for a reasonable price of $920 and I am happy with that. They have testet the system with my 4 x E5-4650 ES installed and they are working together as they should. The price of the system ended at $6.092 which is not to bad.;)

If I am lucky I will have the system in folding over the weekend.

Update again: After troubleshooting the mobo one last time supermicro have concluded that there is actually something wrong with the card and my supplier have been asked to apply for RMA. He have now applied the cross-shipment RMA then we'll see if they could send a replacement immediately or if he actually have to send in the motherboard for repair. The problem is that the mobo have lost the IPMI function that in extreme situations can cause the CPUs not to be found.

So it seems that I was right in my conclusion after all, and hope this not will take to long!:D

Hate to say this alias but I would be a little suspicious here first they tell you it works in the BB that the problem is with your equipment, then you buy the BB they say it works in, then they say opps there is something wrong with the board after you purchase what they say works. It may just be a coincidence but that is one very strange coincidence if it is. :eek:

I guess it really does not matter in the end if you get a working set-up and you are satisfied with the cost, but I know if it were me I would always have a question in my mind as to whether my supplier had just tried to screw me or not. :(

The must important for me is to get a system that will function 100% in folding. I do not think my supplier tried anything else then help me when the mobo I should have was delayed. The fact that this card was associated with an error I think is totally random. They had never opened the barebone case that this card came from, they said, and I choose to believe them. The fact that they offered me to buy the barebone chassis has a background in that they believed that the fault could lie in use of my PSU that was not SM approved, and after a talk I got a good price on it too.

This issue have taken some time now, but I am convince that this will have a good ending. Most likely, I get a brand new card as a replacement. My newly purchased Xigmatek Elysium and the Corsair AX 1200W PSU that was meant for this build, I can use for my next rig, so that money is not wasted.

Does anybody know who much noice this barebone system is making at 100% load?

They are loud you will need to get some 212's for it, I have 2 SM BB systems and when I was outside 200 feet from the house with the windows open In the computer room I could hear them running.:eek:

You will not be able to stay in the room with it comfortably without ear plugs running the stock fans. :D

Back