I have Norrowed it down as far as I can, Now I need your help.

Scotch77

Gawd
ok so I have done a lot of research and come down to the following

P35
Abit IP35 pro
GigaByte GA-P35-Ds4

X38
Asus P5E
Gigabyte GA-X38-Ds4

There have been other boards that I like, but for some reason or another they always have some sort of problem. I have not really decided on p35 vs X38, I honestly don't care much. I don't game to much anyway. What I seek is Stability, and a High Quality product. I want to Buy a Motherboard and I want it to work. No DoA or dying in a few weeks. This is why the majority of the Asus P35 boards scare me. There Most Expensive boards seem to be their worst. Also I want Raid 0/1/5/10 on my ICH9R, preferred matrix, but not needed. So the P5K-E and Premium are the only boards with this, but they suck, according to most places.

So I came up with the small list above and think I looked at the majority of major suppliers. Asus, Abit and Gigabyte. My criteria is pretty easy. I want the integrated raid 0/1/5/10 and the Ability for stable over clocks. I want it to just work with my E8400, a bios upgrade is ok, but i still need it to boot, so I can do the update. I am away at college and don't have access to another cpu.

I have already Chosen to go with the Intel E8400, a nvidia 8800GT and 4gb(2x2gb) of most Likely OCZ or Mushkin, not sure about G.skill. Doesn't sound very reputable.

My max to spend is $240, I don't mind spending it, but I want the least number of problems. Also I have never personally used anything but asus, so if I don't choose them, I'm a tad worried.

I have the E8400 with the Gigabyte P35-DS4 and the 2x2 G.skill kit and it runs great. Worked right out of the box.

None of the above.

DFI LanParty P35 Dark P35-TR2S. $140-150.

How long do you intend to go before you upgrade again? If the answer is "more than a year" I'd strongly suggest spending the extra $20-50 for a Q6600 G0 OEM.

None of the above.

DFI LanParty P35 Dark P35-TR2S. $140-150.

How long do you intend to go before you upgrade again? If the answer is "more than a year" I'd strongly suggest spending the extra $20-50 for a Q6600 G0 OEM.

maybe 5-6 years.

maybe 5-6 years.

Buy a Q6600. The dual core will be a huge handicap in that kind of timeframe. Also, considering we may be seeing 8 core chips in as little as a year, I wouldn't bet on getting 5 years out of a machine built right now. More like 2, possibly 4 if you aren't very demanding.

Buy a Q6600. The dual core will be a huge handicap in that kind of timeframe. Also, considering we may be seeing 8 core chips in as little as a year, I wouldn't bet on getting 5 years out of a machine built right now. More like 2, possibly 4 if you aren't very demanding.
is there a plan for any 45nm quad cores.

Yes. They're supposedly being released in late March, but they'll be around $500-550 to start.

yeah they are a bit much for me. idk, I have spent from 2003 to 2008 with a P4 2.4c and it is still plenty powerful for anything i could ever ask it to do. USB controller died and thus I need a new pc. Kinda want one as it was starting to feel slightly slow, but it would still do anything I asked of it.

Quad core seems like a waste now, especially for energy usage, it takes alot more enegery to run the extra 2 cores I will almost never use.

...not really. The cores enter a halt state when they aren't in use. If you're planning on going a long time with the same CPU, picking up a Q6600 is probably the best plan, unless budget will not allow.

I recently upgraded to an E8400, Abit IP35 Pro with 2x1GB Corsair. I am very happy with my new setup.

My last upgrade was 3 years ago to a AMD64 3500+ 2.21GHz. Unfortunately it was not powerful enough to decode 1080P mkv movies.

The Abit IP35 Pro is a very well recommended board that has many features and is stable enough. I really liked the external CMOS switch and the ability to control the case fans :)

Back