I have come to a Conclusion about Fry's/Outpost

Rad777

Limp Gawd
I have built at least 30ish? or so systems from parts from Fry's, mainly because Fry's is literally 5 minutes "Walking" distance from me. I usually buy things with rebates, and get my "Profit" from building the systems from the rebates.

I ALWAYS "Burn" parts in, to ensure they are completly stable before handing them over. I always run Memtest, never overclock(unless asked), benchmark, and etc. the systems.

ON AVERAGE out of 5 motherboard combo's I'd have to return 3 of them, so 60% returned
For RAM, out of say 10 sticks (usually buy 2 separate 512) I'll normally return 3, so 30%
For Hard Drives, Out of 5 I'd maybe return 1 if any, so I'd give a 5% return
For Video Cards, Usually 1 out of 5 (Usually crap memory) so 10%
Never returned any Floppy/CD/DVD drives

If you think about it, thats alot being returned....

Now if I search throughout the last 3 years of newegg, at least 15 or so systems built off of Egg... Over $11,500 worth of purchases, normally buying specific parts that people wanted. I.E. I want a "Quiet" computer, and me buying a mobile, and a TT silent, Or any HTPC, or if they wanted "Small Typing/Internet desktop", which was me getting a Biostar with OnboardVideo. Then sometimes the egg is just cheaper than Fry's for parts.
I've bought, HD's, Vid Cards, Mobo's, CPU's, PSU, Cases, etc.

I have never _EVER_ had to RMA ONE THING. The CLOSEST was having a Case come literally Shattered ( Stupid Fedex), and Newegg, told me just to trash it and sent me another for free.

Conclusion: Fry's part's suck.

Just my Conclusion from someone tired of walking to Fry's.

Rad777

I'm sorry to hear about the failed product rates you've been experiencing.:( I agree, Frys' quality sucks. BTW, what location is this so I can avoid it? Of the three I've heard about/been to Palo Alto is the worst, Sunnyvale is average, and Campbell is apparently very good according to a friend.

City of Industry

When you goto the Return "Disneyland Type" line (Disneyland cause it usually out of the dam door, its so long) they have signs at the return desks that state something like, "Because of the something something of Electronics, there are often manufacturing defects that get missed, etc. etc."

They have a room JUST FOR returns. It's sad

And yes a $350 BFG card is cheap, If I hadn't bought my $180 BFG 6800 @ BB, I would jump all over it. Also Fry's video cards are "ok" like I stated maybe like 10% i'd have to return.

Rad777

Yeah, Fry's is pretty much a hit or miss sometimes, especially when you're buying their OEM parts.

I haven't seem to have had any bad luck on boxed parts, though. The worst return I've had is one of their mobo/cpu combos that just wouldn't stay on for more than five minutes. Returned it, got a new one and it's still running to this day.

Granted, I haven't bought a great deal of mobo/cpu combos from them, but generally I've had ok success with Fry's. Returning stuff is a biatch, though. Gotta prove that the part doesn't work, and sometimes the idiot testing the part has no idea what he's looking for.

you can walk there? but there's a bunch of...industrial stuff...around there...guess you walk fast? :p

gwai lo said:
you can walk there? but there's a bunch of...industrial stuff...around there...guess you walk fast? :p

I live right up past on paseo verde :p just need to walk down the street make a left past the shiny building and I'm there.

Rad777

Rad777 said:
City of Industry

When you goto the Return "Disneyland Type" line (Disneyland cause it usually out of the dam door, its so long) they have signs at the return desks that state something like, "Because of the something something of Electronics, there are often manufacturing defects that get missed, etc. etc."

They have a room JUST FOR returns. It's sad

And yes a $350 BFG card is cheap, If I hadn't bought my $180 BFG 6800 @ BB, I would jump all over it. Also Fry's video cards are "ok" like I stated maybe like 10% i'd have to return.

Rad777
is it the one right by the freeway at crossroads parkway

Yeah its that one, just off the 60 FWY @ crossroads.

I've been to other Fry's, and probably returned just the same amount.

Even once I purchased an "Open-Box" processor, from the Long Beach Fry's because there was no more anywhere else, there was no raincheck on the offer for a 2500+Barton and ECS NF2 board for 49.99, and it was only from Monday -> Tuesday.

The processor was BURNED on the bottom side, and the Return people didn't notice this? Of course I didn't open it till I got home, and returning it was a mother of a b1tch! to do. I had to call down the store manager who was luckly there.

Rad777

yes you really gotta watch frys when you buy there. examine everything when you pay for it cause often they wont let you look at it before hand. Guys at checkout use to hate me cause I use to look at everything and kick it back if it didnt seem right.

That was the Frys in phoenix arizona.. I moved to missouri now.. tell you what, I realllllly miss frys!! around here they try to sell a P2 450 for the same price of a p4 3.0 amazing...

LordVampyre said:
yes you really gotta watch frys when you buy there. examine everything when you pay for it cause often they wont let you look at it before hand. Guys at checkout use to hate me cause I use to look at everything and kick it back if it didnt seem right.

That was the Frys in phoenix arizona.. I moved to missouri now.. tell you what, I realllllly miss frys!! around here they try to sell a P2 450 for the same price of a p4 3.0 amazing...

Same here im in northern IL and these people try to rip you off like no tomorrow. Sorry Circuit City but im not paying 2 grand for one of your 2.0 prescotts with a 80gb harddrive and an upgrade from 128 2700ram to omg 256 2700!!!!!

Kevin003 said:
Same here im in northern IL and these people try to rip you off like no tomorrow. Sorry Circuit City but im not paying 2 grand for one of your 2.0 prescotts with a 80gb harddrive and an upgrade from 128 2700ram to omg 256 2700!!!!!
Are you guys serious? That's outrageos and I hope people aren't actually buying stuff at those prices. BTW though, there is no such thing as a 2.0 Prescott :).

I've had both good and bad experiences at Fry's. I know one thing, it is a pain trying to return opened software but I can understand why they are so rigid in this area. I was able to return two Raptors that I had opened and installed and then took back as I found a better price. I was even missing some paperwork on one and they still took them both back with no questions asked other than why I did not want them. That boosted my confidence in buying from them.

I think Fry's is hit or miss. I have found success in motherboards....I just look for NON ECS and boards without that white sticker that says they have been open...But I usually get my boards from Newegg, directron, or microcenter.......better success with them...

Very true, same here.

I have encountered many faulty parts from Fry's. One of my co-worker used to work there at Fry's and he told me that they would just place most of the deffective items back on the floor. That is probably why we keep getting tons of broken parts because those deffective items are being circulated over and over and over.

Chelica said:
Very true, same here.

I have encountered many faulty parts from Fry's. One of my co-worker used to work there at Fry's and he told me that they would just place most of the deffective items back on the floor. That is probably why we keep getting tons of broken parts because those deffective items are being circulated over and over and over.
Wow, that's pretty fucking stupid of a company to do that...what the hell?? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about a store doing...don't they realize people will just keep returning shit??

I never even knew Fry's sold computer parts..
Is this Fry's as in the grocery store frys? Cause thats crazy. Why would you buy anything form a grocery store anyways?! :)

BB, CompUSA and sometimes Circuit city, and ESPECIALLY Newegg is what its about

lesman said:
Wow, that's pretty fucking stupid of a company to do that...what the hell?? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about a store doing...don't they realize people will just keep returning shit??

Actually no...it's brilliant business tactics. Look at it this way:

You're business man X. Customer Y (who's an idiot by the way) purchases component Z from you. Two days later he comes back and bitches at you because it doesn't work. Fine, swap out the component for a new one.

What do you do with the old one? What if Customer Y is a technical idiot as well? It's cheaper for you to not have technical staff and it would cost you money to deal with sending faulty stock back to the manufacturer. So...put the damn thing back on the shelf. See if Customer Y is really an idiot or what.

What it boils down to is money. Time and effort is money. The less you have to use of each the more you save/make down the road. Thus...us the consumers suffer because WE end up being the technicians who troubleshoot the part in the end. :mad:

Wolf-R1 said:
Thus...us the consumers suffer because WE end up being the technicians who troubleshoot the part in the end. :mad:

Yeah, but if your posting on [H] you are smart enough to know how anyways :p Besides I enjoy fiddling with technology, even when it doesn't work.

abudhu said:
Yeah, but if your posting on [H] you are smart enough to know how anyways :p Besides I enjoy fiddling with technology, even when it doesn't work.

I used to be like you but not any more. I feel that I pay too much money and have too little of my own time these days to want to jack around with shit parts. When I get the parts for my rig together I want it all to work right and work the first time. I don't want to have to screw with it for hours just to finally comclude that it is indeed bad and return it to wherever I purchased it. Especially in light of Interlet/mail orders.

Oh yeah...for the record...where the [H] comes in is in tweaking those WORKING parts. Not waiting to see if your hardware works or not. Getting the most bang for the buck. That is the [H]. :cool:

Back