I have an old 390x card and I want to upgrade?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have $400 and an old 390x card. Any new cards out there that I can upgrade to that would be better?

Specs of computer in sig.

I have $400 and an old 390x card. Any new cards out there that I can upgrade to that would be better?

There aren't many upgrade options. Wait for Pascal/Polaris.

Since when is the 390x an old card?

Only upgrade is a Titan X / 980ti. Well Fury X, but it's only marginally faster as it is slightly slower than a 980ti. I'd wait for the new cards to come out for the back to school crowd this Fall personally. But if the itch is there those are your options.

GTX 980 and regular Fury only trade blows with your card. An AMD Nano can be consistently faster if you have a case with proper cooling. Those cards are very small so people want to stuff then into cases with zero airflow and complain about throttling. With good airflow it would be a good upgrade also on the cheap as it is almost a Fury X for much cheaper.

Since is a re-branded 3 years old 290X?

Well, that's an incorrect statement.

980ti from a 390x is an expensive upgrade for 10-15% increase. Plus all the headaches Nvidia drivers have (see what I did there?)

Wait for next gen. The 390X is still a fast card - in fact today right now it's the fastest card you can buy for $400, so you already have what you are looking for.

My recommendation is to overclock the hell out of the 390x.

I have seen some guys getting 1200+ Mhz on the Core and 6400+ on the memory with minor voltage adjustments. That puts the card within 10% of a stock 980Ti.

While I can sympathize to a degree about wanting to upgrade because of having "older" hardware - at the end of the day, an upgrade is really only required if your current setup is no longer meeting your needs. Your better served to hold onto your cash and wait the 3-4 months for next gen cards to drop.

Hahahaha. Intense game there sir. Probably need quadfire !

The game that started it all for me. The original "Kings Bounty" Gave us the HoMM series (my fav) & of course the new TB Kings Bounty series. I own a R390X now & it will rip through all of my games @ 1440P No reason to upgrade now. I'm holding for @ least 18 months.

Back